Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    webos is somewhat alive in my life! im a phone addict lol i have iphones,androids,and every webos device except for the pre 3.
    im mean pre 2 not 3
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    reminds me of a quote i saw somewhere (i forget where).

it stated: stay fit, stay healthy, die anyways.
    @geekpeter,

Just for you

Dead, not dead, undead who the hell cares? No one at this point uses webOS because the HAVE to. They use it because they WANT to. Did webOS lose a popularity contest? Yes I think it did, and so what? My touchpads, my webOS phones, they all still work fine. I don't see why the focus on is it alive or dead? What difference does it make? If it works for you great. If you think a different os is for you, thats fine too. I like webOS on my phones and tablets. That what I CHOOSE to use and will continue to do so until such a time that something is better for me. That time seems to not be now. I may use OWOS on newer hardware in the future. I may goto ubuntu or firefoxOS I don't know right now, but until something is BETTER not newer but BETTER I'll keep going with webOS.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    webOS is on life support. Not dead, but certainly not live and thriving. After HP's disastrous stewardship of webOS, the plan to make it open was logical. Make it open and work with multiple devices and cpus. Even selling webOS to another buyer makes sense. To HP stockholders, Palm represents a wasted purchase by an incompetent executive team as was the even worse Autonomy purchase. HP is so weakened that it wouldn't be able to relaunch webOS so selling it to a stronger ,more patient company is better option. LG fits that bill and hopefully will give some credibility to webOS for some other oem even if LG just builds tvs with it.. I still think Chinese oems are possibility if LG doesn't choose to make webOS phones or tabs. The Chinese government which has significant influence over their businesses (as does South Korean government over their big companies like samsung and LG) has openly said they are too dependent on Android which gives webOS a slight chance as well as mozilla, Tizen, and other open mobile OSes. (China Criticizes Android's Dominance - WSJ.com)
    That being said,open webOS is a long shot. I'll keep my touchpad going (cm9 dualboot) until it dies along and use it along with my ipad mini (well made with great apps but very bland) and use my pre 2 until it's renewal time on Verizon. For my next phone I'll probably go android if only to have high customizibility and power user features. I'll hope for the best for webOS and prepare for the worst.

(to proper forum)
    i didn't read the article, and i don't plan to.

but to say "webOS is dead" is as ignorant as saying "win XP is dead".

there's still people using winXP that won't give it up. and there's still people using webOS.
    there's still companies spending money on winXP (panasonic) and on webOS (LG).
    these phones are selling for good prices on fleabay. there's high demand.

and the phone is still tech-competent, ex: as a beginner smart phone, even the Pre- is a good gift for a kid or elder parent that has just an old flip phone and can now grasp the idea of gettin email to their phone, or web browsing.

everything evolves. but some 'old' things become CLASSICS simply because they're not forgotten. i'll use webOS as long as i can!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    i didn't read the article, and i don't plan to.

but to say "webOS is dead" is as ignorant as saying "win XP is dead".

there's still people using winXP that won't give it up. and there's still people using webOS.
    there's still companies spending money on winXP (panasonic) and on webOS (LG).
    these phones are selling for good prices on fleabay. there's high demand.

and the phone is still tech-competent, ex: as a beginner smart phone, even the Pre- is a good gift for a kid or elder parent that has just an old flip phone and can now grasp the idea of gettin email to their phone, or web browsing.

everything evolves. but some 'old' things become CLASSICS simply because they're not forgotten. i'll use webOS as long as i can!
    I still use XP in a Virtual Machine on my Mac.
    Just call me Berd.
    My definition of a dead OS is one that would meet one of the following criteria:
    1. Has no hardware to run on.
    2. Has become incompatible with the external services with which it interacts.
    3. Is so outdated in comparison to other offerings, that it is effectively useless.

The third point is debatable - an enthusiast may run something for nostalgia or those old style games, but in the marketplace, people have moved on.

So, by my criteria:
    1. There's still plenty of functional hardware.
    2. I can still make calls & connect to the internet. Yes the browser is ageing, synergy conduits are slowly dropping away and not all apps are updated when API's change, but mostly, it works.
    3. It still works as an OS, although it terms of advanced features, the competition is puling away - partly because new hardware features are appearing on other phones that allow fancier features in the OS. Those of us here are still using it and some are still buying devices!

So, I say it isn't dead. I might accept that it is a zombie OS - apparently alive, but going nowhere.

If LG continue to develop it on a TV and it is still like the webOS we know, then it will be alive - if not in the form most of us want. If LG continue to support the OwOS effort, then there remains some hope. If an LG phone appears with webOS as the default or optional OS, then the game is back on.

Here's that community defibrilator again...

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

Let's hope it can make an impression - the number is still rising, but slowly.
    Oh, yeah,

I posted this from an XP computer. Security support will end later this year, so at that point XP will start to die...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Oh, yeah,

I posted this from an XP computer. Security support will end later this year, so at that point XP will start to die...
    I will be using XP in my Virtual Machine for a long long time.
    It's behind the Mac's Firewall and all XP's network activity has been turned off since 2008.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    To the OP, I would say that nobody knows still at this point how such an amazing operating system can be disregarded like it has, but that's really where it seems to be going. Like I said nobody knows, but the only thing you can do is to keep reading and hopefully we will see some sort of change. I personally love Android at this point. It took a while but the apps and the user interface is amazing, especially on the Nexus 4 that I have which as 2 gigabytes of RAM and a 1.5 gigahertz quad core Snapdragon processor which makes the phone instantaneous. If you compare it to your palm pre you will most likely never use the Palm Pre again. I still have mine and in the 4 to 5 minutes of booting up the pre, I already got approximately 10 tasks done on the Nexus booting up at the same time! Believe me I held onto the pre as long as I could and sprint as long as I could, but once sprint and the pre stop putting effort into their products and advertising, I switched to AT&T which I absolutely love and like I said the Nexus 4 which is an amazing product.
    So if you switched to AT&T why didn't you just get a Pre 3? I also don't quit think it is fair to compare a 2008 device to a 2012 device, have you heard of Moore's Law?
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Oh, yeah,

At that point it's time to start using it again. No critical update BS every few days.
    I came across this page:Stop Trying To Make WebOS Happen. Itís Not Going To Happen | TechCrunch

I haven't keep up to date with webos in the past 3 months. What progress is being made I know lg brought webos. But are they going to use it for anything else besides smart tv?
    This is like saying the Fox Body Mustang is dead. Why bother buying one? Well, because it's pathetic that in 2013 the Mustang ways 1000 lbs more than a Fox Body and with a simple gear swap, heads and intake manifold, can match the performance of a 2013, all while being way down on power. Nevermind when you actually spend the money to match power and chassis level. It's just like Palm OS. Why buy an old Treo or Tungsten when the platform is dead? Well, because the PIM apps still have no equal in a modern OS (unless you cough up cash for Pimlical for Android) and no new device has a matching desktop suite as well featured. Nevermind the numerous other apps that still have no equal even now. It's just like webOS. It's worth it because it's pathetic how the modern OSs can't even come close the features that it had. Anndroid may be coming ever closer, but task management is still not as elegant. iOS still thinks that multitasking like Garnet is multitasking. Windows Phone is still pathetic (and Nokia should be ashamed to dump MeeGo & Symbian for something so far backwards).

Until something better comes around, I don't care if the platform is dead. I'll keep using my T|X for work, my Pre3 as my DD, and my SN95 Mustang as my toy.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    <quote removed>
    We will see. There are 4 currently competing mobile OS's, and 4 in background of which apparently 3 have some hardware vendors committed to bring devices for those OS's. That's 7 platforms all together at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. It's pretty big work to develop and later maintain apps for all platforms.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/12/2013 at 11:20 AM.
    I came across this page:Stop Trying To Make WebOS Happen. Itís Not Going To Happen | TechCrunch

I haven't keep up to date with webos in the past 3 months. What progress is being made I know lg brought webos. But are they going to use it for anything else besides smart tv?
    Not dead, just pining for the fjords..
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Not dead, just pining for the fjords..
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE[/YT]
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    This is like saying the Fox Body Mustang is dead. Why bother buying one? Well, because it's pathetic that in 2013 the Mustang ways 1000 lbs more than a Fox Body and with a simple gear swap, heads and intake manifold, can match the performance of a 2013, all while being way down on power. Nevermind when you actually spend the money to match power and chassis level. It's just like Palm OS. Why buy an old Treo or Tungsten when the platform is dead? Well, because the PIM apps still have no equal in a modern OS (unless you cough up cash for Pimlical for Android) and no new device has a matching desktop suite as well featured. Nevermind the numerous other apps that still have no equal even now. It's just like webOS. It's worth it because it's pathetic how the modern OSs can't even come close the features that it had. Anndroid may be coming ever closer, but task management is still not as elegant. iOS still thinks that multitasking like Garnet is multitasking. Windows Phone is still pathetic (and Nokia should be ashamed to dump MeeGo & Symbian for something so far backwards).

Until something better comes around, I don't care if the platform is dead. I'll keep using my T|X for work, my Pre3 as my DD, and my SN95 Mustang as my toy.
    Apt analogy from one car guy to another.

I will be with webOS for some time to come as well. I haven't seen enough from anyone else to make me want to drop the money and reup a contract. Once we are off contract off to ST we go for ~30% savings and keep using the devices we like.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post

Very enjoyable post for me all around. I wish I hadn't sold my Clie when i bought my first smartphone. I'd still be getting it out and playing with it once in a while. As for the fox body.. Great cars. I don't think you'll ever lack for aftermarket support. As a Maverick enthusiast, I can only dream of that kind of support.

I think webOS is only dead on an individual basis, when it no longer works on an individual level. Like when your boss says you can't drive your fox body to work anymore because they don't want to support them anymore and want everyone driving the latest models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Very enjoyable post for me all around. I wish I hadn't sold my Clie when i bought my first smartphone. I'd still be getting it out and playing with it once in a while. As for the fox body.. Great cars. I don't think you'll ever lack for aftermarket support. As a Maverick enthusiast, I can only dream of that kind of support.

I think webOS is only dead on an individual basis, when it no longer works on an individual level. Like when your boss says you can't drive your fox body to work anymore because they don't want to support them anymore and want everyone driving the latest models.
    One day, the support will start to dry up. I wish my SN95 had the same support. I'm still waiting for a 5.4 swap kit from the aftermarket that also has FE headers for Fox cars.

But, for your last point, you mean cash for clunkers? Or how attempts to make certain pre-80's cars go through emissions inspection? Might not be one's boss, but all levels of government are trying to find ways to kill the hobby. In NJ, the long lines, coupled with a 5 year inspection sticker is a good incentive to buy new. But then again, bosses do look at you when you have the only pre-OBD-II car in the lot at work and you have marked your spot with a nice trans leak.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast