webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > If you were forced to give up yout Pre/Pixi, what would you replace it with?
If you were forced to give up yout Pre/Pixi, what would you replace it with?
View Poll Results: Which phone would/will you move to when you can't stay with WebOS any longer?
Android 13 16.67%
Blackberry 10 11 14.10%
iPhone 8 10.26%
Windows Phone 11 14.10%
Other smartphone OS 9 11.54%
a feature phone 0 0%
I will hold onto my Pre/Pixi for all eternity, or any new device that runs WebOS. 26 33.33%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

Old 03/06/2013, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

It seems unlikely that LG is going to make a handsets using WebOS, but current devices will continue to break and become harder to find. Eventually you'll have to move on, but what to?

Edit: on hindsight I shouldn't of added the "or any new device that runs WebOS" part, as that somewhat negates the poll.

Last edited by grahamf; 03/06/2013 at 10:31 PM.
grahamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

If my Pre3 breaks tomorrow, I'll just put my sim back in my iPhone 4. I'm not inspired by any current device, so I'll wait to see what happens in the next generation.
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I recently soaked my HP Veer and had to replace it. I debated on purchasing a phone with Web OS, but felt updates, support, and apps were lacking (I'm not real plugged in to online sources like Web OS Nation). Since no other phone would fit into my petite, girly front pockets like my Veer, I decided to disregard size and purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note II. I am not liking the Android Operating System. It seems to take too many punches to get where I want to go, although it has a few good ideas behind it--like keeping a log of last places visited on the phone, so you can go back there quickly. I love the pen and the ability to record and erase handwritten notes. All my bits of paper lying around with notes have disappeared, cleaning up my desk a lot--and my handwriting has even improved! I like the availability of aps. The size is fine for my purse, but I keep leaving it somewhere in the house and having to go find it, missing calls. I'm using a cross-body water bottle holder to keep my phone with me if I am waiting for an important call. The size feels ridiculous talking on the phone, so I need to find my blue tooth. The size does allow me to never need a tablet, which is nice. The phone is not automatically pushing emails, which I cannot figure out why it is not, but is not a big issue because this keeps me from over-checking emails. I would love to put Web OS on this phone, but it would need to allow me to use the S-pen because I love that, too
Anita M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I forgot to add that I really like the Swype function while texting. Amazing how it can figure out what you are trying to type just by running your finger around.
Anita M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tazmorator

^Welcome to the forums.
Old 03/07/2013, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Probably should have a Palm OS option. If my Pre3 breaks, along with my Pixi, and I can't buy another webOS device, I would honestly go back to the stone age with my Centro or Treo 680. Android is getting there but until they can multitask like webOS, I rather not bother with something that doesn't let me use a computer the way it should be used since the days of GUI interfaces started up (multitasking but it decides when the close apps, and not me). Cards was really the be-all-end-all solution to mobile multitasking. At least Symbian did a good job with their task manager (and I would consider an E6 if email worked w/ the central notifications) but Android still boggles my mind how they can still use the mentality they do. Hopefully the former Palm employees can bring in the card interface. Otherwise, everything is sadly still behind Garnet, with modern software only having rock-solid stability over Gernet.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
Probably should have a Palm OS option. If my Pre3 breaks, along with my Pixi, and I can't buy another webOS device, I would honestly go back to the stone age with my Centro or Treo 680. Android is getting there but until they can multitask like webOS, I rather not bother with something that doesn't let me use a computer the way it should be used since the days of GUI interfaces started up (multitasking but it decides when the close apps, and not me). Cards was really the be-all-end-all solution to mobile multitasking. At least Symbian did a good job with their task manager (and I would consider an E6 if email worked w/ the central notifications) but Android still boggles my mind how they can still use the mentality they do. Hopefully the former Palm employees can bring in the card interface. Otherwise, everything is sadly still behind Garnet, with modern software only having rock-solid stability over Gernet.
Untrue as of 4.x. You hold the Home button down, all of your recent apps pop up. Swipe to remove them individually, or press the trash can and all of them disappear.
Old 03/07/2013, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

About damn time then. Sounds like it's similar to Symbian's then. I might have to rethink my options then in a post webOS world then...
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Untrue as of 4.x. You hold the Home button down, all of your recent apps pop up. Swipe to remove them individually, or press the trash can and all of them disappear.
I only see that option as of 4.2. Android still decides which apps to keep active, and swiping them off don't necessarily stop the app all together, since it may be providing services (e.g. Skype).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Running rooted (Stock) 4.1.1, the option is there. Going into Settings/Application Manager/Running....yes there are a fair amount of processes running in the background, but hardly anything that is affecting my day to day usage. No different than my PC that has however many processes running in the background.
Old 03/07/2013, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a spare Pre 3 for parts, then a Veer, a Pre Plus and a Pre. Last resort I'll go back to Symbian on my E51 and disappear in the smartphone business. At least with the Nokia I can throw it in someone's face when they rub it on what phone I should be using and cause considerable damage.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus, DoobieDoo, mattmers and 1 others like this.
Old 03/07/2013, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

If my Pre 3 stops working or gets lost I'll just break out my back up Pre 3 If that stops working or gets lost then I will scour the the net for another Pre 3 or hopefully by then there is a new device running webOS available (are you listening LG?)
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a pre2 and a another in the box. Probly should buy another while they still available. I notice the stock of GSM unlocked seems to be dwindling.

That said, assuming that there were no webOS phones I would probly buy something with a keyboard either candy bar or slider. When I'm composing email I like to see the whole screen.

Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0084D...bosnation0e-20

Oh, forgot about blackebrry Q10, probly one of those then

Last edited by laingman; 03/07/2013 at 08:15 PM.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

So far I've liked the Metro interface the best so I'd make an effort to find a good Windows phone. My only problem with one I had temporarily almost 2 years ago was the lack of Pandora (at the time) and insanely uncomfortable against the ear after 5-10 minutes.

As it is, I'm switching to my Pre3/Veer on T-Mobile once I'm off my contract with Sprint. Even with only EVDO I'll enjoy using it more than my Einc 4G Touch. I'll keep the Epic around as a gaming media device around the house. Maybe drop Skype on it and set it up as a internet land phone. Haven't really decided.
Old 03/08/2013, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

If my Pre3 dies then I will revert back to my Pre- and start hunting for another Pre3.

Failing that it shouldn't be too long before there is a viable Open WebOS that is easy to install and fully functional on a current phone (e.g. Nexus4) but I would miss the physical keyboard.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi i use pre 2/3 phones, and have two spare pre 3`s in boxes, so will use webOS for a while,
if then what to replace it with? possibly a Blackberry Z10. but rather a new up to date webOS phone
just a dream.
Traderhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderhorn View Post
Hi i use pre 2/3 phones, and have two spare pre 3`s in boxes, so will use webOS for a while,
if then what to replace it with? possibly a Blackberry Z10. but rather a new up to date webOS phone
just a dream.
No Q10? I'm actually interested in looking at that, since it's one of the rare QWERTY out that (possibly) won't suck.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

I hate to say it, but I left my Pre2 and went with a WP8 HTC and enjoying it. WebOS is much better in certain ways (the UI for starters) but the smoothness and responsiveness of my Windows phone blows the Pre2 away. I am spending less and less time on the TP.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

I was looking at WP8, but now that I've seen the HTC One, I think I'd move to that as my second device (still going to get the Pre3 when I move to T-mobile).

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garrett92C likes this.
Old 03/08/2013, 05:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I was looking at WP8, but now that I've seen the HTC One, I think I'd move to that as my second device (still going to get the Pre3 when I move to T-mobile).
I visit Windows Nation and was surprised at the number of ex WebOS users there.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Last edited by etphoto; 03/08/2013 at 10:36 PM.
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0