View Poll Results: Which phone would/will you move to when you can't stay with WebOS any longer?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android

13 16.67%
  • Blackberry 10

11 14.10%
  • iPhone

8 10.26%
  • Windows Phone

11 14.10%
  • Other smartphone OS

9 11.54%
  • a feature phone

0 0%
  • I will hold onto my Pre/Pixi for all eternity, or any new device that runs WebOS.

26 33.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    it is a bit of a stretch for me to reach the top left of the screen when I'm using it one-handed.
    Big fan of the one-handed rule myself. The Pre 3 is similarly a stretch when the keyboard's open. If it were even 0.1" longer, I'd probably have gone back to the Pre 2. Really don't like the >=4" devices.

Honestly form factor's as much a decider as software. That trend's as platform dependent as the software itself these days.
    I probably would have sprung for a Pre3 if I could still get my work email on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I probably would have sprung for a Pre3 if I could still get my work email on one.
    Was it you who said they blocked webOS on EAS at work? What the deuce? Heck, my work actually still has directions posted for setting up the Palm Pre specifically on Exchange!

Anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Whoa, isn't that a little extreme? I would rather use any smartphone OS than a dumb phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    There are some pretty smart "dumb phones" out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Have you played with the any Nokia Asha phone? They are pretty nice.
    Ding ding ding! This line of thought is how I noticed the E6 and Asha lines. For someone who really wants "just works," the old Nokia phones have pretty kick*** hardware. I got pretty far on J2ME phones back in the day. I could probably type faster with T9 (one handed) than I have on any QWERTY or virtual keyboard since. And the battery life! THE BATTERY LIFE! Remember when you could go three days without blinking?!

Yeah. I was seriously looking through old Nokia and BB devices last weekend. There's something to be said for really solid, slightly dumber hardware. They all still sort of stink at PIM though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Was it you who said they blocked webOS on EAS at work? What the deuce? Heck, my work actually still has directions posted for setting up the Palm Pre specifically on Exchange!

(
    Yep, that was me. Unfortunately I'm a small fish in a big pond, so I can't even get a straight answer, let alone do anything about it.
    I have a spare Pre3 just in case. But eventually one day all options will be closed. Then it's gotta be SailfishOS - open source, multi-tasking and the spiritual successor to WebOS.
    At least with the Nokia Symbian phones, one can load up Palm OS emulators and have wonderful PIM apps, along with the amazing Nokia hardware. Now, if only the Pixi was the E6, or the Pre the N8, Palm would have rocked out... And actually, I personally would have went with an E6 over the Pre3 if not for Symbian^3 lack of email integration (no notifications unless you unlock the screen).

Another plus for Android to is the availability of Pimlical (the successor to Datebk6) and Graffiti.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Have you played with the any Nokia Asha phone? They are pretty nice.
    I've not tried Asha. Vistaus clued me in that it is based on S40 (maybe with a MeeGo twist?) Series 40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did get a Nokia E5 from Straight Talk, they have them for like $80 new. That's a Symbian S60 phone. Sort of a budget messenger. Nokia E5-00 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Many might consider it a feature phone at this point in the game...

No touchscreen. Layers upon layers in the UI. It takes some getting used to, some manual reading, some custom set up. Once you get it running the way you like It's pretty good. Having used Nokia Maps and Navigation, I'd go with any "dumb phone" they produced so long as it came with their free for life Nav.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I have been paying a lot of attention to the Blackberry Z10 (and maybe Q10 if I can wait). The virtual keyboard appears to have been designed for those who like a real keyboard and the folks over at Crackberry have noted that most former 9900 users can get used to the keyboard pretty quickly. It has some great features. I write lots of emails on my Pre 2 and having a super keyboard is critical. I have tried the iPhone and can't stand the keyboard.

A co-worker just got the Nokia Lumia 822 and I had a few minutes to check it out this morning. The flow is pretty good once you grasp the UI concepts. But then again, the darn virtual keyboard is for the birds. Its like an after thought.

So I am clutching on to the Pre 2 for a little while longer. No rush to jump, but like most people, I'm beginning to prepare my backup plan.

Anyone else like the Z10?
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
    I have been paying a lot of attention to the Blackberry Z10 (and maybe Q10 if I can wait). The virtual keyboard appears to have been designed for those who like a real keyboard and the folks over at Crackberry have noted that most former 9900 users can get used to the keyboard pretty quickly. It has some great features. I write lots of emails on my Pre 2 and having a super keyboard is critical. I have tried the iPhone and can't stand the keyboard.

A co-worker just got the Nokia Lumia 822 and I had a few minutes to check it out this morning. The flow is pretty good once you grasp the UI concepts. But then again, the darn virtual keyboard is for the birds. Its like an after thought.

So I am clutching on to the Pre 2 for a little while longer. No rush to jump, but like most people, I'm beginning to prepare my backup plan.

No. Even on a GalaxyS3 which is pretty big I find the having the keyboard taking up space on the screen very annoying for composing emails. Texting I can live with it.

So no Z10 for me. Q10 maybe.
    On all my slab phones I've had, even when the keyboard is active, I still have a much larger screen than I ever had with any Treo.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    On all my slab phones I've had, even when the keyboard is active, I still have a much larger screen than I ever had with any Treo.
    The screen maybe larger, yes. I mean it's just annoying to me as a personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I only see that option as of 4.2. Android still decides which apps to keep active, and swiping them off don't necessarily stop the app all together, since it may be providing services (e.g. Skype).
    GMMan, you are obviously the man when it comes to Android and I want to clear up some issues that other people are having with the multitasking situation. I was in avid superuser of the Palm Pre and could not get rid of it at all. I was forced to end it all the day they no longer could find any replacements and this was back in July of 2012.

It took some time to get used to Android, but now that I'm using it on a daily basis with a really good smartphone which is a must and said smartphone being the Nexus 4, I am super happy with it. In ice cream sandwich, if you held down the home button for approximately 2 seconds, it would bring up all of your recent apps that you had access to but it would not let you know which ones are open, which after a while really is not a big deal whatsoever as if you remember with the Palm Pre you only had approximately 5 open apps at a time. Now using the Home button and holding it down for a few seconds (on older versions of Android, but the LG Nexus 4 just requires a simple tap of the bottom right icon, the 1 next to the 3 vertical squares, which pops up your previous APs and open app instantly). Seeing your apps that you've gone through and that are open is really easy to determine which ones are still open and which ones you have used in your history which I find to be a cool feature anyway. You can go and tap on that app even though it's not something that is currently open, it will re open it and you would have to go and try thinking about what app it was that you were just using. Like I said you have to give Android a chance and you will be completely happy with it. If you know anybody with extensive Android knowledge, go to them and ask them about how to root your phone and how to add custom ROM's as well. This is similar to the steps we took in order to get preware on our phones. It is a little bit more complex but the more you do it the easier it gets. This also helps when you need to re install everything on your phone to where it was prior to either having a crash on your phone or putting a ROM on the phone that you did not like. Like I said it is best knowing somebody who knows Android inside and out. He knows everything and has helped me tremendously. So I am done for now and I would definitely go to Android and give it a shot because, like I said I was a pre user and was stuck in that pre state of mind where I could not let it go. Remember the LG Nexus 4 has something very similar to the touchstone and you can look it up online and it is a device where you just place your phone onto it and it will start charging. The only drawback is that there are no magnets but if you look up voltageDINGBAT on YouTube, you can see the modifications I made to my Nexus 4 so that I can at least use the magnetic feature so I can use the Nexus in the car but it does not charge, but it does stay in the displayed area so that I can see everything that's going on while driving. Take a look at the videos. Good luck and do not judge when it comes to Android because I did for a long time and I wish I never did.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Oh boy. What was that android phone that came out about the same time as the Palm pre again. Slips my mind but ever since that folks have left and come back telling us about the wonders of android.

I have to say that when I'm really doing something and not just playing(emails for example and google searches), I have not seen anything the likes of webos, especially 2X with stacks and sconix advanced patches working together. And even if I'm playing webos is still way more fun.

If all I cared about was apps, browsing, maps, and videos I may be tempted to switch. I mean mess up in webos and visit the wrong website and all the browser cards go blank, very annoying.

So while I think webos is unbeatable, there are things to fix like the aforementioned browser problem and others like the pdf landscape thing. I don't know how come so much of this forums nowadays is talking about other devices and what went wrong when we could be trying to figure out some of these problems for those of us who are still down with webos and our current devices.

Big up to GMMan for still working on some patches.

Oh yeah, the htc hero
    g7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Oh boy. What was that android phone that came out about the same time as the Palm pre again. Slips my mind but ever since that folks have left and come back telling us about the wonders of android.

Oh yeah, the htc hero
    The Motorola Droid?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Motorola Droid?
    Pretty sure it was the hero and the pre on sprint and the droid didn't come til later. And the lament was that if only they could have gotten the pre on verizon before the droid, or something to that effect
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Pretty sure it was the hero and the pre on sprint and the droid didn't come til later. And the lament was that if only they could have gotten the pre on verizon before the droid, or something to that effect
    The Droid was a few months after the Pre.

The Pre + came out on Verizon a couple months after the Droid.

The Pre was on Sprint for only 6 months before the Pre + was released on Verizon.
    I voted Android for the sole reason I have a Nexus 4 in the drawer at home.

Might try BlackBerry 10 but I don't like what I have seen for message handling.

Had 3 WP devices including a 920, once you get past the live tiles however the OS is as static as iOS and as locked down.

Had 3 iOS devices and left as Apple became static and boring, why radically change whats selling I guess.

Liked MeeGo but Nokia killed that, it was a very promising OS but it didn't have something as simple as default number for contacts,

Had 6 different Android phones from version 1.6 upwards and it has came along way, now if only they would add gestures

Still like webOS on the Pre 3 since I got another one and use it as my daily driver, may even get a hot spare just in case

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
    I got a verizon z10 on preorder so I'm going to be switching to that from my Pre3. Excited to check out the hub and just in general have a phone with some form of manufacturer support again. Gonna keep my Pre3 just in case, but it will be nice to have a better browser, etc. If openwebos comes back to a phone or if LG gives us something one day I'll be rushing back, but for me I just wanted something a bit more modern. Other phones I was looking at were the HTC 8X and DNA. Both are nice phones but windows phone just seems like too much of a toy, and I just can't get used to the 5 inch screens. I think the 4.2 inch Z10 is a good size while not being too big. That, and I like supporting the underdog. Been spending more time on the crackberry side lately and it looks like most of the apps I'd want are there, and the ones that aren't I can sideload from android without too much fuss.
    Android is just painful from a UI point of view. I keep not being able to to do the most basic things (trying current versions in the stores 8/2013). I really don't want to get on board another sinking ship, so no blackberry, and mostly no Winphone... So I'm thinking Iphone, not real happy, but I can get from point A to point B without banging my head on the table.

Sounds like joining a cult because they have good cookies

My thanks button no work!
    paisley99 likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Forced to give up Pre b/c i need the larger screen for bike lane guidance in nyc. Going to moto x on android. At least its a hair smaller than ginormous, although definitely not small, at least it's not full of bloatware, i guess, at least it has intelligent curves, and at least it has some sort of slightly progressive notifications or something. so at very best it means it's not the type of phone that every other android out there is. ... And least it's not a samsung that everyone and their brother has, and at least it's not an iphone. so i guess there's that.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08/25/2013 at 10:48 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast