View Poll Results: Which phone would/will you move to when you can't stay with WebOS any longer?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android

13 16.67%
  • Blackberry 10

11 14.10%
  • iPhone

8 10.26%
  • Windows Phone

11 14.10%
  • Other smartphone OS

9 11.54%
  • a feature phone

0 0%
  • I will hold onto my Pre/Pixi for all eternity, or any new device that runs WebOS.

26 33.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    I'm shocked at you 5 android liking people. Android is just plain useless. I refuse to go near that junk. I like my lumia but I want a open webOS phone
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I'm shocked at you 5 android liking people. Android is just plain useless. I refuse to go near that junk. I like my lumia but I want a open webOS phone
    Android is great. Windows Phone definitely isn't for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Like I hinted earlier, I would go back to a little dumb phone before any smartphone that don't run webos. Only BBQ10 might interest me.
    Since folks are probly not checking preware for new patches anymore I think a write up on the main blog would help to get the word out about this patch.

Can't imagine that there's too many who don't like this better than the old way.

Edit. Oops, posted in the wrong thread. Should have been in the cycle email notification thread. Maybe mod can fix. Sorry
    Last edited by laingman; 03/09/2013 at 03:59 PM.
    One can't judge android as a whole unless they've tried it recently, and with different brand devices.
    There's Vanilla, there's Sense, there's TouchWiz, also Motorola version, and I may have missed a few.
    I personally like Android.
    Just call me Berd.
    Garrett92C likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    One can't judge android as a whole unless they've tried it recently, and with different brand devices.
    There's Vanilla, there's Sense, there's TouchWiz, also Motorola version, and I may have missed a few.
    I think android is OK, but there's nothing special about it. It's about what one would expect palm Os would have evolved to in six or how many years if webos didn't replace it .
    MDsmartphone and ananimus like this.
    My Veer and my Pre 2 are both in great shape right now...

By the time they fade there should be a few more options available. Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish, FireFox, Tizen are all waiting to release. The rumored off again/on again FaceBook phone holds zero interest for me as I refuse to even look at the FB site...

Still, we are talking another year or two before one/both webOS phones I have become unworkable in most likelihood. Time for something else to mature...

iPhone makes me feel too constrained (it amazes me how hipster, bohemian types smile and promote such lockstep, Apple uber alles mentatlity in a product). Android has me paranoid that a crossword App is looking into my banking (the App permissions are dangerously out of control - why a game needs access to so many phone functions boggles the mind and too few consumers are outraged about it). Windows Phone looks to me like it has too much of both the aforementioned camp's problems. I've not tried Blackberry, ever - so that remains a maybe.

I think there is definitely room for a new player on the field who can succeed to some degree. I still hope for a webOS resurgence, but the premise of the question seems to point away from that. I chose a Galaxy Nexus to try Ubuntu Touch on in large measure due to hopes that Ports will get Open webOS going on that piece of hardware. Meantime, I'm trying the Ubuntu Developer Preview and only time will tell if it comes together in a satisfactory way..

I had to vote Other. None of the major players out there (and listed as answers in the poll) have induced me to leave webOS. Heck, I just got here. If nothing else, I'll remain here till something new develops to the point that I feel compelled to jump on board.

I think it says a lot about webOS that, even though it was already dropped from support, I was compelled to buy in... That level of "just works" and "wow, cool" just doesn't happen every day.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I would go back to a little dumb phone before any smartphone that don't run webos.
    Whoa, isn't that a little extreme? I would rather use any smartphone OS than a dumb phone...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Whoa, isn't that a little extreme? I would rather use any smartphone OS than a dumb phone...
    There are some pretty smart "dumb phones" out there. Before webOS I was using a Virgin Mobile branded LG Rumor Touch. It did everything I needed. The only reason I switched off it is that I moved to a new state and the area I'm in sucks for Sprint connectivity (which Virgin uses) and I had loss of signal all the time. It had a nice size to it, touch screen, slide out portrait QWERTY, Google maps (I could have added navigation for a fee), connected and synced well to all my email accounts and browsed very well with Opera Mini...

Dumb phones have come a long way. It's like how Monte Carlo models benefit from advances made on the Pro Stock Car circuit.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    My wife has Android Gingerbread on a Motorola Photon. It's "messy" to me. I do her updates, apps, etc. I don't hate it, I just don't love it.

She has an iPod touch as well and I like iOS - even though her's is a first generation so it's iOS version 3.1.

The problem is I like sprint but LTE is not up and running near me and the iPhone 4 is 3g and super slow on Sprint.

When my Pixi dies, I hope they have it worked out or we will have to move to Verizon, which is more expensive.
    Yeah, up until recent, I agree that Android on Motorola is/was clunky ugly.
    My wife just got a razr-m running jellybean and it is a lot nicer.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I've used a few different Android flavors, from Froyo to ICS, from different manufacturers, and that's something I found very frustrating - that doing the same thing in different versions is sometimes totally different. I didn't hate Android, but it did frustrate me. I got my wife an Epic a couple years ago, and I really didn't like it much at all. Last year I had an EVO 3D for about 6 or 8 months, and grew tired of it and ended up switching back to my Pre, which I then FrankenPre2'd. I would have happily used that as my only phone for years to come, but work decided to block all Palm devices from the Exchange server. I really didn't want to go back to Android, and can't stand the look and feel of Windows Phone. After I switched back to the Pre, I traded the EVO 3D to a friend for an iPhone 4S for my wife (actually it was for my daughter, but my wife decided she wanted to try it first, and kept it for herself). Before I let her have it, I put all of my accounts in it so I could play with it and find out if it would meet all of my needs - particularly joining contacts from multiple accounts, key being Google and Exchange. I found that it would do what I needed, and overall it just felt more polished than Android. I always swore I would never buy an iPhone, but I was forced to consider all options if I didn't want to carry two phones. I'm using an iPhone 5 on Sprint, and getting great LTE speeds at my house. I agree, it's an unpleasant experience on 3G. I always have my Pre2 with me when I'm at my desk because I still use Keyring for my passwords, and sometimes I carry it out with me. I miss using it as my main phone.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/09/2013 at 06:58 PM.
    webOS is always number 1. Android falls second, only because I require an open operating system (being a Linux and open source junky, and hacker). While I love some of the iPhone ID (industrial design), and parts of iOS and the apps for it, I do not appreciate the restrictive eco-system.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    webOS is always number 1. Android falls second, only because I require an open operating system (being a Linux and open source junky, and hacker). While I love some of the iPhone ID (industrial design), and parts of iOS and the apps for it, I do not appreciate the restrictive eco-system.
    Real question. What makes other mobile OS less restrictive in terms of eco-system?
    android is such a freakin cluster... On verizon for example you basically have no good choices if you want a stock android experience a-la-nexus. And choose wisely or you might not ever see OS updates. You might be lucky and be able to root and update to get the stock android but seriously? At that point I might as well be flashing open webos onto it.

for stock experience, I am seriously considering the HTC 8X, and the BB Z10 if verizon has it priced around 200 bucks subsidized. Searching for (good) apps in apple store and android can be very frustrating. There is a canyon between the good apps and the bad/unuseable apps I can't uninstall fast enough. I'm already used to living in an app ecosystem that is limited so either of those won't be that big of a shock.

I always thought the webos apps overall had a high quality to them, and the only thing lacking is a moder browser experience and some marquee apps to be competitive.
    For now Nexus 7 is my target. For phone I want to wait for S IV or iPhone 6. If iPhone 6 goes bigger to around 4.8" , then it should be my choice, but if not, I think quite clear that Optimus G Pro, HTC One , and S IV are the best choice. Or maybe Note III. I know all my choice are Android phones. But I think I need to forced myself to like it. WinPhone don't have any superior hardware till now. Even premium quality lumia 920 fall behind compared to last year flagship Android phone, but not with the price.
    My wife's iPod Touch gets wifi all over our house. Her Photon has an extremely limited range.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    There are some pretty smart "dumb phones" out there. Before webOS I was using a Virgin Mobile branded LG Rumor Touch. It did everything I needed. The only reason I switched off it is that I moved to a new state and the area I'm in sucks for Sprint connectivity (which Virgin uses) and I had loss of signal all the time. It had a nice size to it, touch screen, slide out portrait QWERTY, Google maps (I could have added navigation for a fee), connected and synced well to all my email accounts and browsed very well with Opera Mini...

Dumb phones have come a long way. It's like how Monte Carlo models benefit from advances made on the Pro Stock Car circuit.
    Have you played with the any Nokia Asha phone? They are pretty nice.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    I'd probably get another Pre 2 or Pre 3. And not just because of webOS. It's the software/hardware combo.

The Pre 3, Nokia E6, and maybe the BB 9900 and Q10 are the only devices in the right form factor, size and screen spec to come out in the last couple of years. For my tastes and use, of course. Of those webOS is best at leveraging that form factor so far.

Honestly? If someone anyone ties in Synergy and Just Type in as complete a way as webOS and puts it on small, solid hardware like I just mentioned, I'd take it. Throw in a decent app ecosystem too, of course.

Posting this makes me realize I'm more a boring business-type user.
    My main complaint about the iphone 5, other than not being able to swipe up to switch apps , is it is a bit of a stretch for me to reach the top left of the screen when I'm using it one-handed. I'm not a fan of the larger size. If the 4S had LTE I would have gone with it instead.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast