webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Can't believe i missed the important news..
Can't believe i missed the important news..
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mattmers
  • 5 Post By eblade

Old 02/27/2013, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

...on the recent sale of "Gram" to LG. But then i haven't logged on since friday, last night i was finally signing the lease agreement on the place i will be moving into on the 5th of March, once they fix the water damage. The day before last was the same sort of hectic and so was the weekend, but then i'm so glad it will soon be over.

But whoa! Just as i'm about to settle into my normal routine (in a week's time), i hear this. So, what do you guys know at the moment? I'm a touch too lazy/busy to read all of the sensationalism out there (i read some), so if anyone can fill me in on the fact and detail, i'll be immensely grateful :)

So, what's sold? Who keeps what? Who owns the source and the licensing rights?

My guess here would be that LG only bought the team currently working on the project (to save time and effort), considering that HP keeps the patents and the back end, hasn't announced the sale price... which makes me think it's nearly the same as Apple buying that fabless chip design firm, which later produced its ARM A4 for the iPad. Am i wrong? Or does LG now control the licensing of webOS to other manufacturers?

Thanks again everyone :) ..i'm really looking forward to getting back to the forums here and back to all my projects (miss it terribly)

I'll be back to read and comment, though my responses (from the Pre+) will likely be short, due to keyboard issues.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

LG buys webOS | webOS Nation
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 02/27/2013, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

And... please feel free to join in on the discussion already in full swing: LG acquires webOS from HP

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks... I guess i'll still miss out on the discussion, but i'll definitely try to digest all that conflicting information as time will permit ...way too much to catch up on
Old 02/27/2013, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Thanks... I guess i'll still miss out on the discussion, but i'll definitely try to digest all that conflicting information as time will permit ...way too much to catch up on
here is the summerized version from what I understand.

HP gets:
-The cloud service of webOS and the team that works on it
-they keep all the patents and lease them to LG
-and they are in charge of the app catalog and all webOS accounts

LG gets:
-webOS Source code and HP has to pay to use it
-the other half of the team
-will gain stewartship of open webOS and Enyo
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 02/27/2013, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post

HP gets:

LG gets:
Ok. Sounds a lot like a divorced couple splitting/sharing an expensive car

Thanks.
Old 02/27/2013, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post

HP gets:

LG gets:
I don't like this arrangement, mostly because its one that makes it clear LG has no intentions of using webOS on mobile devices.
jason.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
I don't like this arrangement, mostly because its one that makes it clear LG has no intentions of using webOS on mobile devices.
I don't see that as being crystal clear. They are concentrating on one product, an almost entirely new market. It doesn't really make sense to jump into every market at once.

Let's face a fact here -- we love our webos phones and tablets, but overall, webos 2 and 3 and especially open in its current state, are not in the slightest bit competitive in the market. There are dumb phones that people would find better than a webos 2 device these days. (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit there). Realistically, it makes a lot more sense to go new places with a retooled product, than it does to go to a place where the system has almost spectacularly failed 3 or 4 times.

In 2009, webos 2/3 would've been a great competitor to the iPhone 2. Webos was way ahead of its time, but now we truly have the hardware to realize the promise of web apps everywhere -- it's what brings then, Firefox, webworks all up now. And webos is all of their grandfather, and it's still got a few more tricks up its sleeves.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Last edited by eblade; 02/28/2013 at 02:30 AM.
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by rnld, kataran, steven_farkas and 2 others like this.
Thanked By: steven_farkas
Old 03/01/2013, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

HP News -*LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV

Having seen the official press release now, it no longer sounds so much like some intricate sharing arrangement... HP has simply unloaded webOS into the hands of LG (but kept the Palm IP and cloud infrastructure), so it's one less headache for an ailing company that's neither ready nor willing to produce another webOS device.

So for us, it's turned out in the best possible way considering the circumstances.. We have openwebOS, and then HP will continue to host legacy Palm profiles. I guess that resolves my question and subject closed

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0