Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree55Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris_silvertree View Post
    I don't particularly like to spend ALOT of cycles debating with people... but in this case, you are spewing speculative FUD that is negatively impacting webOS and the people behind it and its way off (so I feel obligated to respond). As many have stated before -- webOS is definitely down -- I am not trying to dilute that reality. I'm just saying HP is working hard behind the scenes to get webOS back to some place useful (and is not done yet) and LG is now a collaborator to that effort (not the new owner).

Instead of reading US Today, NY Times, or whatever news source you are getting your speculation, just read this (straight from HP) and perhaps you will agree with what I'm trying to say -- unless the armor around your heart (I call it cynicism) is just too hard to penetrate.

HP News -*LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV
    Nothing is the press release said anything you said.

The press release stated clearly that LG bought the webOS source code and LG paid a patent licensing fee to the Palm patents. LG owns webOS out right. Nothing to do with collaboration. LG is the head of open webOS and enyo projects now.

HP is going to use the cloud computing to make it easier for enterprise customers to hook up with Android phones.
    Nice to hear it straight out of the horse's mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If LG doesn't own the proprietary part of webos including the webos trademark --- then LG has to fork open webos into a different project under a different brand name.

All I am saying when I replied to bluenote is that there are many benefits of owning the proprietary source code and the proprietary trademark of webOS --- in terms of controlling the open webOS project. Bluenote's position about LG taking the proprietary webos source code because LG doesn't care about the open webos project is flawed.
    Yes, I'm assuming they bought the old code because it was valuable for their efforts for the new tv. I based this on the fact that openWebOS as I understand it could sorely use some of the missing ingredients in the proprietary parts of the old code. But eblade and Rod know more about this and I do.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Yes, I'm assuming they bought the old code because it was valuable for their efforts for the new tv. I based this on the fact that openWebOS as I understand it could sorely use some of the missing ingredients in the proprietary parts of the old code. But eblade and Rod know more about this and I do.
    I suppose they also wanted the stability of owning vs licensing, if this makes any sense.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    But one has nothing to do with the other.

Even if open webOS has all the missing parts of the proprietary webOS --- LG would still need to buy the original proprietary code and the registered webOS trademark (and the engineers) in order to control the open webOS project.

Open webOS is under Apache license --- which means that LG could have just forked open webOS project AND still able to keep their own forked source code private. But LG would have to use another brand name. And there would be no engineers that have the previous knowledge about these codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    But one has nothing to do with the other.

Even if open webOS has all the missing parts of the proprietary webOS --- LG would still need to buy the original proprietary code and the registered webOS trademark (and the engineers) in order to control the open webOS project.

Open webOS is under Apache license --- which means that LG could have just forked open webOS project AND still able to keep their own forked source code private. But LG would have to use another brand name. And there would be no engineers that have the previous knowledge about these codes.
    THat's all true. Unlikely that we'll ever know -why- LG chose to purchase the whole thing, but it's probably not a bad thing for the system.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hey Buddy I meant HP . Not webos ports or internals. I don't know why u would take it like that. I think the webOS community is great. If u think a phone operating system is that consequential in the big scheme. I don't what to tell ya.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123