webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Challenge for LG: Root Certificates
Challenge for LG: Root Certificates
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By Garrett92C
  • 1 Post By danimal62
  • 1 Post By pattyland
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By broncot
  • 1 Post By pattyland
  • 1 Post By mattmers

Old 02/25/2013, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've brought this up a couple of times. IIRC, the root certificate for app signing and certain cloud services will expire in July. I don't know if services will cease working when that date's gone past, but in any case, we need a new certificate. Now that LG is the new owner of webOS, and they say they will keep supporting existing webOS devices, what better way to show commitment than to prevent potential catastrophic denial of service? I'll be waiting for an update on my TouchPad in June. If one's not provided by then, we'll know they're just blowing us off. Maybe they should be reminded about the fact first.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I've brought this up a couple of times. IIRC, the root certificate for app signing and certain cloud services will expire in July. I don't know if services will cease working when that date's gone past, but in any case, we need a new certificate. Now that LG is the new owner of webOS, and they say they will keep supporting existing webOS devices, what better way to show commitment than to prevent potential catastrophic denial of service? I'll be waiting for an update on my TouchPad in June. If one's not provided by then, we'll know they're just blowing us off. Maybe they should be reminded about the fact first.
I'm still wondering where this came from.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It's up to HP to support us, so don't expect anything any updates.

"According to HP COO Bill Veghte, LG will acquire the source code, documentation, websites, and team behind the client side of webOS, but HP will retain the entire cloud services division — that's the App Catalog, updating system, and other backend services that interact with webOS."
Old 02/25/2013, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just saw the latest report, and the onus is still on HP. I wonder how it'll play out.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/25/2013, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

hehe an update for 1.x devices would be a surprise for those not reading this forum
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why don't you ask Enda McGrath about this (twitter the question)?

It would be cool if LG came out with their webOS tv and then had an app for existing touchpad users to control it.
I wonder how many LG people bought that firesale touchpad and then realized they liked webOS.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

A release of LG drivers for open webOS would also be a good starting point.
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors likes this.
Old 02/26/2013, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal62 View Post
A release of LG drivers for open webOS would also be a good starting point.
But the problem is that most hardware drivers are written by the hardware component makers --- i.e. your pc's sound card driver is written by the sound card chipset maker, not Microsoft --- and they are proprietary. LG doesn't have the right to release the source code.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Seems that we don't need to worry about the root certs: https://twitter.com/endamcgrath/stat...49508647190528

Thanks @GMMan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02/27/2013, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
But the problem is that most hardware drivers are written by the hardware component makers --- i.e. your pc's sound card driver is written by the sound card chipset maker, not Microsoft --- and they are proprietary. LG doesn't have the right to release the source code.
So Ubutunu got the the nexus 4 drivers how? Just asking..

Last edited by danimal62; 02/27/2013 at 12:46 AM.
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 02:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Maybe they use the same drivers as already available for Android? Open webOS has kernel 3.3+ for which no manufacturer has released proper drivers as of yet. (All due to Android being only on 3.0.x still, when Android would be on 3.3+ there would be for sure less issues to get OWO running because the Android drivers could be used more easily).
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 05:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Ubuntu Touch is simply a user interface layer on top of a full cyanogenmod android base layer.

So the nexus 4 drivers are there and working because all of that part is unchanged from android.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ArchonAdvisors, hunland
Old 02/27/2013, 06:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
Seems that we don't need to worry about the root certs: https://twitter.com/endamcgrath/stat...49508647190528

Thanks @GMMan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's Edna's reply to GMMan:

@GMMan_BZFlag Hi Yukai, thanks for reaching out. We know about the issues and plan on addressing it
Old 02/27/2013, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Nexus 4 uses Qualcomm S4 Pro chip.

In order for Qualcomm to drum up more business and make it easier for handset makers to make smartphones in less time --- Qualcomm writes the graphics drivers for the Adreno 320 GPU and offer them to the handset makers. So Google and LG both don't have the right to open source the graphics driver --- because it is a proprietary Qualcomm driver.

The same goes to the audio card driver, the gyroscope driver, the touchpad sensor driver, the wifi driver, the GPS driver... --- they are all written by the chipset component manufacturers.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Atheros drivers seem pretty common. It's the firmware that's hard to figure out.
Old 03/05/2013, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

https://twitter.com/endamcgrath/stat...49508647190528

Quote:
Yukai Li ‏@GMMan_BZFlag

@endamcgrath Is the team aware of the imminent expiry of #webOS app signing root certs? Will they get updated? If so, ETA?
Details

enda mcgrath enda mcgrath ‏@endamcgrath

@GMMan_BZFlag Hi Yukai, thanks for reaching out. We know about the issues and plan on addressing it.
Old 03/05/2013, 10:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think 3 Posts of the Tweet is now enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 03/06/2013, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

I guess I'm the only one asking the important question:
Quote:
@endamcgrath @GMMan_BZFlag So will the palm pixi plus final get #webOS 2.0 on it as HP WebOS official website advertises?

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pattyland likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0