Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes
    Hahahahaha... the "most dead" mobile system ot the world refuse do die!! Hahahahahaha

I listen some echos in my head... some words... "netflix"... "Powerfull LG Optimus Palm"...

Well, the REAL advantage in this is that the LG really works with smarpthones (no tablets!) and sell this devices in all countries.

So, IF... and Im saying "IF"... the LG begun to sell some webOS Phones, finally we gonna really see the webOS as have to be: in so many languages and sell in all countries as possible.

Until now, the webOS has no chance to show his the real qualities to the world... only to half dozen of countries, without the right support. Serious, we that live in countries without official App Catalog see as the webOS never was launched.

Today, TVs... but is better than nothing. And more... can be the first door to new devices.

Remember, guys... Until the last week, we has no one new hardware to wait...

Best Regards... (...Netflix... Netflix... Netflix...)
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Last August I placed my bet that WebOS would become a "hidden" OS. The thing that runs DVD players, DVRs, streaming boxes, and other appliances with out us actually seeing it.
    With LGs purchase, I am feeling confidant in my bet. Have you seen any of their new, high-end appliances. Everything has touch screens.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by illli View Post
    who the hell wants to use webOs on a tv? 99% of all tvs dont even have touch functionality. 99% of tv watchers do it from the couch or a chair, several feet away from a tv.
    Ever see a Wii U?
    Move on nothing to see here yet. Devices won't stop working and if LG do a mobile device with webOS, well spot on :-)

At least LG know how to make, market and distribute devices but until then, if at all, stay calm and carry on :-P

Barry

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    RumoredNow and geekpeter like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Why am I the only one who sees no hope in this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...

Because webOS is so rosy right now? We're so far down the crapper that we can only go up. There's plenty of hope.
    LMAO. And people in the other topic were bashing me that this was "only a rumor, nothing's gonna happen to webOS". Well, here you go people: like I said in the other topic, it wasn't just a rumor.
    Btw, I'm mostly surpised by their "We will continue to support Palm users" while they are months late with their promised Android upgrades. So not sure how much faith I have in them for stating support for us...
    LG is working with HP for several months that was Oct 24th Gram working with LG on an Open webOS TV | webOS Nation
    plus 4 months until now. Something BIG is LG cooking.

Finally CES 2014 will be the show time for webOS Open. I don't think it will be for Smarts TV only. webOS with all patents is a HUGE buy and to recover that investement in a short time.LG has to come with several options ASAP IMHO
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    LG is working with HP for several months that was Oct 24th Gram working with LG on an Open webOS TV | webOS Nation
    plus 4 months until now. Something BIG is LG cooking.

Finally CES 2014 will be the show time for webOS Open. I don't think it will be for Smarts TV only. webOS with all patents is a HUGE buy and to recover that investement in a short time.LG has to come with several options ASAP IMHO
    The money terms of the deal have not been disclosed. It seems as HP is keeping the patents and licensing them to LG.

LG does now have open webOS, however.
    LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV

LG to License HP IP, Integrate webOS Technology into Next-Generation Devices

SEOUL, Korea, and PALO ALTO, Calif., Feb. 25, 2013 LG Electronics Inc. has acquired the webOS operating system technology from HP, the companies announced today.

To support its next-generation Smart TV technology, LG has entered into a definitive agreement with HP to acquire the source code, associated documentation, engineering talent and related websites associated with webOS. As part of the transaction, LG also will receive licenses under HP's intellectual property (IP) for use with its webOS products, including patents acquired from Palm covering fundamental operating system and user interface technologies now in broad use across the industry.

Today's announcement paves the way for continued innovation on the webOS platform and on LG's roadmap of innovative solutions for many years to come, while allowing HP to focus its resources on strategic business opportunities such as cloud computing.

"This groundbreaking development demonstrates LG's commitment to investing in talent and research in Silicon Valley, one of the world's innovation hotbeds. It creates a new path for LG to offer an intuitive user experience and Internet services across a range of consumer electronics devices," said Skott Ahn, president and chief technology officer, LG Electronics Inc. "The open and transparent webOS technology offers a compelling user experience that, when combined with our own technology, will pave the way for future innovations using the latest Web technologies."

Ahn explained that LG Electronics' investment in webOS technology and its acquisition of the innovation team's R&D capabilities are expected to extend LG's leadership in bringing Internet services directly to consumer electronics devices. "Integrated with LG, this team will be the heart and soul of the new LG Silicon Valley Lab, focused on bringing innovative technology solutions to market through the most popular platforms for sharing and consuming content and experiences," he said. With the transaction, LG will add the Sunnyvale and San Francisco sites to its global R&D locations, in addition to its existing U.S. sites in San Jose and Chicago.

Also under the agreement:

LG will assume stewardship of the open source projects of Open WebOS and Enyo.

HP will retain ownership of all of Palm's cloud computing assets, including source code, talent, infrastructure and contracts.

HP will continue to support Palm users.

"WebOS and its associated community deliver market leading platforms for the next generation of connected devices. We are constantly looking for opportunities to accelerate the delivery of this platform from the community," said Bill Veghte, HP's chief operating officer. "LG's track record of innovation and broad distribution provides this opportunity, while enabling HP to accelerate our Cloud efforts. In particular, with the cloud assets that will remain with HP, we will focus on delivering innovative solutions that will enable our enterprise customers to mobilize their workforce."

HP and LG do not expect this transaction to have a material impact on either company's financial statements. Terms were not disclosed.

LG Newsroom
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    <threads merged>
    Are LG and HP playing even in this transaction
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    HP will continue to support Palm users.
    We're still screwed, then.
    Funniest thing I read all day "HP will continue to support all Palm users."

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    I am confident that this will extend beyond TVs. I just can't see it being for less. LG has a FAR better reach into the consumer electronics industry than HP ever had, and ever will. I see some SEXY LG appliances at Fry's, too. I suspect we'll finally see a webOS Toaster.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I am confident that this will extend beyond TVs. I just can't see it being for less. LG has a FAR better reach into the consumer electronics industry than HP ever had, and ever will. I see some SEXY LG appliances at Fry's, too. I suspect we'll finally see a webOS Toaster.
    If I'm not mistaken, LG was the first one to come up with a smart refrigerator back in 2000. So I wouldn't rule out a toaster.
    I just finished interviewing LG's VP of Public Affairs about this, and I have to say, if he's half as psyched as he seemed to be, we're in for good stuff.
    kevets and cbosdell like this.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast