webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > LG acquires webOS from HP
LG acquires webOS from HP
Like Tree119Likes

Old 02/25/2013, 11:24 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen832008 View Post
The most important being the sub-title, "LG doesn't seem to know why it just bought webOS."
Good OL MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:25 AM   #82 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
Android apps and webOS UI?
Shut up and take my money.
A webOS skin on top of Android is the best thing that could ever happen to webOS.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:25 AM   #83 (permalink)

Well i think this is good news. Either LG will do something more with Webos, things were not moving with HP, either it will do absolutely nothing except use palm's patents or whatever and the OS will die in peace and people can move on. Hopefully Webos will be given a second chance. In any case i am wondering if along with everything they bought they also bought the official app catalog. If yes then maybe they'll do something about these geo restrictions that are one of the things killing the OS. Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

By the way i just bought the Samsung galaxy note but i find myself coming back to these threads rather than going to android ones. And i was planning on selling my pre 3 but i simply can't bring myself to do it.

EDIT: Just read that some parts like app catalog, updating system and the cloud services (i suppose that means Gram) will be kept under HP. To me this sounds like they are breaking the whole thing in parts and everybody takes what they can use, kinda like scavengers, that would be such a shame, hell at least give the OS a more honorable ending. Like i said hope for the best...

Last edited by kkalogia; 02/25/2013 at 11:32 AM.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:26 AM   #84 (permalink)

who the hell wants to use webOs on a tv? 99% of all tvs dont even have touch functionality. 99% of tv watchers do it from the couch or a chair, several feet away from a tv.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:28 AM   #85 (permalink)

From a life in the smallest of devices, to a future in the largest.
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:28 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illli View Post
who the hell wants to use webOs on a tv? 99% of all tvs dont even have touch functionality. 99% of tv watchers do it from the couch or a chair, several feet away from a tv.
It could work if there is some sort of gesture pad on a remote.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:28 AM   #87 (permalink)

It sounds like HP is going to keep the app store and the profile servers. That was my biggest concern, that LG wouldn't have any use for those and would dump them ASAP. If that's not in play, then if LG ever produces any kind of device it's just a bonus.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:32 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
TV? make a 4" webOS TV, then maybe i'll consider it
Like!
Old 02/25/2013, 11:33 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen832008 View Post
From the article:
Skott Ahn simply said that he believes "the environment will change from an app environment to a web environment."

That sounds to me like the words we've heard from Mozilla's and Telefonica's people talking about Firefox OS.
As i said, the web it's well known right now to be potentially next big ecoosystem and LG did probably think that webOS architecture will bring some high quality software to the table.

I don't think bringing back the defunct Palm brand would be a good idea and i don't even think LG wants to create a new brand out of the webOS experience. They'll probably reset webOS to be compliant with all standards are going to power Firefox OS and Tizen and start with TVs but potentially webOS gives them the opportunity to build any kind of gadget, from connected mp3 players to smartphones, etc.

Now we can only suppose the good or the wrong of such operation but i still don't believe LG had reasons to buy out the project without thinking to the possible benefits of it.
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:35 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansgw View Post
For TVs only? I hope they will see the value in rolling out other hardware...
Me, too! One of those things will never fit in my pocket!
Old 02/25/2013, 11:40 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
It sounds like HP is going to keep the app store and the profile servers. That was my biggest concern, that LG wouldn't have any use for those and would dump them ASAP. If that's not in play, then if LG ever produces any kind of device it's just a bonus.
Not if they port the entire OS to run on top of Android... then they don't need those cloud services. Again it's from the comments on the Verge, not sure where they got it from or is it just blue sky thinking.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:51 AM   #92 (permalink)

Does the change anything with Open WebOS?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:56 AM   #93 (permalink)

sad to see they may shut this site down "according to the front page" but i guess it was going to happen someday anyways.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:56 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Does the change anything with Open WebOS?
your not going to see much from open webos.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:59 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
A webOS skin on top of Android is the best thing that could ever happen to webOS.
I totally agree. And with LG hardware even better.
If LG want webOS as a skin (like HTC Sense) and can implement things like gestures, cards etc. it would be a perfect combination in my opinion.
Well, we can always hope for it. It's not like we had anything to expect for until today.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 12:08 PM   #96 (permalink)

After new article at The Verge, I'm not so optimistic anymore about this. It looks like LG has bought whole smart TV team from HP and they will continue to work for themselves. It seems HP can't do anything webOS related even in joint venture .on LG' side, their confusion about this whole investment looks the same as same confusion in HP when they bought Palm. I'm so disappointed because I still can't see any meaningful plan related to webOS.
Old 02/25/2013, 12:19 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
After new article at The Verge, I'm not so optimistic anymore about this. It looks like LG has bought whole smart TV team from HP and they will continue to work for themselves. It seems HP can't do anything webOS related even in joint venture .on LG' side, their confusion about this whole investment looks the same as same confusion in HP when they bought Palm. I'm so disappointed because I still can't see any meaningful plan related to webOS.
Actually at HP it wasn't confused about Palm until they let Mark Hurd go. HP as a whole is confused, but that's a different topic.
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 12:19 PM   #98 (permalink)

I, for one, welcome our new LG overlords. Can't get any worse!!!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 12:28 PM   #99 (permalink)

Doesn't seem like it
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 12:31 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
I, for one, welcome our new LG overlords. Can't get any worse!!!
Mars Attacks funny scene - We Come in Peace - YouTube
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
openwebos, palm, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0