webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > LG acquires webOS from HP
LG acquires webOS from HP
Like Tree119Likes

Old 02/25/2013, 09:45 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Good luck with that.
Oh... I'm prepared to weather the storm of hate. I've stockpiled enough Pre, Veer and Pre 3.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Garrett92C and geekpeter like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 09:51 AM   #62 (permalink)

..just like what it says here..:

LG webOS acquisition: LG hedges Android bet with webOS | BGR
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 09:59 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
Here's an interesting thought. LG not only got webOS, but the personel and all patents and trademarks HP gained when they bought Palm. If that includes the Palm name, LG could release Palm devices running webOS. Since the LG brand isn't highly regarded here in the states and they could try this to boost sales. Though not sure how much more cache the Palm brand holds anymore.

Another thought would be a webOS skin of android.

Also, LG announce that they would continue support of palm and HP webOS phones, does this mean I could actually get an update for my pre3?

I can dream... I think its a good idea. I'm not sure why Palm (when they were around) never brought back the "Palm Pilot" naming. I feel like this was recognizable to people.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:03 AM   #64 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh, LuckyGoldstar! You like my post!

You joined today! But no posts yet. I guess you're just J. Random User with a topical nickname, but just in case you are the real LuckyGoldstar (or if the real one is listening), here's my wishlist:

I have a pre2 & pre3. I like the form factor. Typing on a virtual keyboard takes up valuable screen space - suddenly it's half-size!
I like the gesture interface
I like Just Type integration
I like synergy
I like the profile back up - but homebrew added completeness with Preware & Save/restore.
I like the way the relative openess allowed so much homebrew creativity to flourish.
I also like the way homebrew allows me to customise the OS to work and display what I want it to.
I think webOS could be good on a lot of things, but is best on a phone.

Thanks for listening. I'll shut up now.

Last edited by Preemptive; 02/25/2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Removed accidental quote
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, geekpeter and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 02/25/2013, 10:08 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Why am I the only one who sees no hope in this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
You may not be the only one. I have a lot of doubts about this. The only silver lining that I see is that:

1) LG has pledged to support current webOS devices
2) LG bought everything when they could have just licensed it

I find both of those very peculiar but I refused to read too much between the lines on them. Either way I am back to using webOS on my TouchPad full time after 2 straight months of using CM10 only. I will use it until the browser stops working..
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 10:30 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
You may not be the only one. I have a lot of doubts about this. The only silver lining that I see is that:

2) LG bought everything when they could have just licensed it

I find both of those very peculiar but I refused to read too much between the lines on them. Either way I am back to using webOS on my TouchPad full time after 2 straight months of using CM10 only. I will use it until the browser stops working..
We can't read more than what have been said, but I can't see the reasoning behind buying Gram just for Televisions.

But I can imagine a strategy here: reintroducing it using TV to get service provider's apps, and get traction again and get people used to webOS. But this use webosland, we should expect the worst possible scenario
Old 02/25/2013, 10:34 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

Is there a direct quote from LG on this point? Personally I see this as dire news for current webOS phone/tablet users until I see their plan straight from the horse's mouth on this...
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 10:36 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Is there a direct quote from LG on this point? Personally I see this as dire news for current webOS phone/tablet users until I see their plan straight from the horse's mouth on this...
There is no direct quoting about anything. It's all in the rumor mill for now, until anyone releases an statement.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:41 AM   #69 (permalink)

webOS for a TV would need netflix, hbo, hulu to compete against smartTV's.

Hopefully, we can use the apps on other devices.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Tweaks enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 10:44 AM   #70 (permalink)

TV? make a 4" webOS TV, then maybe i'll consider it
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 02/25/2013, 11:06 AM   #71 (permalink)

Confirmed! With a few caveats. HP emerges as big winner in webOS sale, and LG doesn't rule out a phone | The Verge

Last edited by allen832008; 02/25/2013 at 11:11 AM.
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:13 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen832008 View Post
HP is the winner? Bull, WebOS users are the winners. We no longer have to rely on HP.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, ananimus and allen832008 like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:17 AM   #73 (permalink)

I've always been a skeptic since Leo the Destroyer killed off the Touchpad and murdered the Pre3 at its cradle.
However, webOS has been dead over the past months with no hope.
IF the rumours are true, even if the television part is the only thing LG wants with webOS, webOS will be still alive.

Apart from that, LG is a good buyer compared to HP.
They are a whole lot more serious company that the comical HP that changes CEOs and strategies every month.
They are top makers of panels. They make monitors, TVs, phone screens etc.
And they also make smartphones. The know how to make them, not like HP.

Now comes the difficult part though. Who in their right mind would bet again on webOS?
If it was 2010, I'd say it would be wise. Now it isn't.
Android has improved and has gained huge marketshare. Apple is a giant. Not even Microsoft can compete with them. BB is at the brink of destruction. Why would anyone try to use webOS, a system that has failed twice (not always because of its faults, but failed nonetheless).
LG announced stopping making Windows phones. They still make Android ones. The Optimus series is successful, the Nexus 4 is a good and cheap device. The problem however is that Android does not bring money to the manufacturers. Only Samsung makes money. Would webOS be a profit? Highly doubt it.
But if there is still room for Tizen, Ubuntu or Firefox then we could just dream of a webOS device. We, the ones still using webOS and not finding another OS that we like, could just hope for another device.

But one step at a time. Let's see if the rumours are true (because with CNET removing the article, I'm not sure). Let's see what LG has to say, what are their plans and then we can hope.
Thing cannot get worse when you are at the bottom of the barrel.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:18 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Vague responses about future plans using the backend services in enterprise offerings versus vague responses about future plans on new hardware... and HP is the winner and LG has no idea why they bought webOS?
Old 02/25/2013, 11:22 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Looking at some of the comments, somehow they mentioned webOS UI on top of Android. If that translate to webOS + Android Apps... I wouldn't mind that at all really.
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:23 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
HP is the winner? Bull, WebOS users are the winners. We no longer have to rely on HP.

Actually it appears Synergy still belongs to HP...
Old 02/25/2013, 11:23 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
And LG doesn't seem to have a firm long-term plan for webOS, and all options are on the table. "In the short term, we'll apply this to the TV only," said Dr. Ahn. "But in the future, wherever our plans take us, we'll consider an extension to other devices." Asked why it made more sense to invest in webOS than to repurpose Android, Ahn said that LG would use Android "together" with webOS, but that he thinks "webOS is better in some of the user experience like card UI."
Android apps and webOS UI?
Shut up and take my money.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by frantid, Rnp, xandros9 and 2 others like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:24 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

Looks like App Catalog would be retained by HP.
Old 02/25/2013, 11:24 AM   #79 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Highlights of the article:

- In the short term, LG is just interested in TVs. In the long run, they may "consider an extension to other devices".
- LG wants webOS for the UI. They plan on using it "together" with Android.
- HP will keep the cloud services (App Catalog, profile backups, etc).
- HP will keep all patents.

And then there's this:
"Further asked to name the core benefit of the webOS platform for smart TVs, Dr. Ahn simply remained silent for 10 seconds"
Old 02/25/2013, 11:24 AM   #80 (permalink)

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for WebOS, because it was the first truly multi-tasking mobile OS. And it just did what it did really well. That's why we all love it.

That said, I finally shut off my last WebOS devices last fall and moved on to a Google Nexus on Straight Talk. It's a good device... and Android has definitely improved, especially if you go with the untainted Google version without all the carrier bloatware.

If LG sees fit to drop a new WebOS device on the market, I'd be among the first to snap it up. But until I see it, I won't believe it. Been hit in the head with that 2x4 too many times already...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.

Tags
openwebos, palm, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0