webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > LG acquires webOS from HP
LG acquires webOS from HP
Like Tree119Likes

Old 02/25/2013, 08:31 AM   #41 (permalink)
gbp

I am back on webosnation. Feeling better. I wish LG creates one niche phone with webOS. Only ONE. Just one, pick anyONE phone from Android and port the thing. I will buy.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 08:35 AM   #42 (permalink)

Elephant in the room: what about Gram? Do they exist anymore (not that they publicly existed in the first place), and if they do, who does it belong to (before they go public)? What will be their role?

Let's hope, if this is true, that LG keeps Open webOS open, and do help work on it. If not, there's always WebOS Internals. Let's hope they're still cool about homebrew software, and won't go down the path of skinning the OS to death. Use Prelude!

(P.S. If they decide to close Open webOS, wouldn't they lose the open source contributions? I'm rusty with my open source licenses, so I'm not sure.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by ArchonAdvisors, Rnp
Old 02/25/2013, 08:37 AM   #43 (permalink)

Let me be the first to say... holy sh*tballs...

Nexus 4 webOS. Need it. Now!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 08:38 AM   #44 (permalink)

Gram now belongs to LG according to @webOSNation on Twitter.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37, kevets and ArchonAdvisors like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 08:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

It'll be good if they actually confirm/deny Gram's existence soon. Either could happen, since HP was trying to get rid of the webOS division, and now that LG has purchased it, they might want to merge it back in.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/25/2013, 08:45 AM   #46 (permalink)

Heres what Derek wrote last fall about the apps they are being rewritten in Enyo, and the boot speed issue, I thought I saw something recently about how boot speed has increased, so maybe they figured that one out?:

Gram working with LG on an Open webOS TV | webOS Nation

The process requires more than just a port, though - for Open webOS to be taken seriously as a smart TV platform, it needs a number of apps that webOS has simply never had. These apps are being built in Enyo, and are said to include services like Netflix (we hear you - finally!). NetCast also offers Yahoo widgets, CinemaNow, Pandora, Vudu, and YouTube; again, apps that would need to be built fresh in Enyo as there's simply not a modern webOS equivalent (excepting Pandora, though a commercially-available TV would need an official app).

There's one hitch the Gram team working on the TV project is working hard to overcome, and that's boot speed. If you've used webOS, you know it can take a long while to boot, even with a beefy processor behind it. One solution being explored by the team is to actually leave the computer half of the TV running and merely switch off the screen off when the TV is turned 'off'.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 08:58 AM   #47 (permalink)

That'd work well for notifications, though you won't want the screen flashing on in the middle of the night.
Old 02/25/2013, 08:59 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Let me be the first to say... holy sh*tballs...

Nexus 4 webOS. Need it. Now!

LG already stated they will not be making any webos smartphones, only tv's. i guess this is the end of the line. Phonedog is also reporting this story. im gonna say hp should of NEVER been allowed to buy webos in the first place.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 09:00 AM   #49 (permalink)

There's so much to ask about this and I'm fairly certain answers will be hard to come by for a while.

Will LG look at smartphones running webOS in the future?
Will LG continue to support the Homebrew community?
What will LG do with the patents it just purchased?
Will LG be playful and put a small team on getting webOS on to something like the Nexus 4...for fun?
Will a TV running webOS be any good?

I can't wait to find out. It really can't get much worse than what happened with HP.
Good OL MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: ArchonAdvisors
Old 02/25/2013, 09:22 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good OL MC View Post
There's so much to ask about this and I'm fairly certain answers will be hard to come by for a while.

Will LG look at smartphones running webOS in the future?
Will LG continue to support the Homebrew community?
What will LG do with the patents it just purchased?
Will LG be playful and put a small team on getting webOS on to something like the Nexus 4...for fun?
Will a TV running webOS be any good?

I can't wait to find out. It really can't get much worse than what happened with HP.
it is "possible" LG might someday make a phone with webos as they just announced they dropped windows phone, im not sure. right now it looks to only be tv's.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, cujoq37, ArchonAdvisors and 1 others like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 09:31 AM   #51 (permalink)

Good news for the webOS people still remaining under HP. I believe they will find a better working environment in LG. I'm still not sure about the truth as the article was pulled.
Apart from that, I don't have high hopes, but as I see Samsung making a Tizen phone or ZTE a Firefox phone, I'll still dream of holding a webOS powered LG device.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and LuckyGoldstar like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 09:31 AM   #52 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
(P.S. If they decide to close Open webOS, wouldn't they lose the open source contributions? I'm rusty with my open source licenses, so I'm not sure.)
No, the Apache license allows you to distribute closed source derivatives of the software, provided that you include a notice : http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 ( it's very short ).
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 09:47 AM   #53 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanked by Loiter, Rnp
Old 02/25/2013, 09:52 AM   #54 (permalink)

Oh how I'd wish one of these to run webOS...
(the phones, not the girls)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11813_1361785799-full.jpg (97.0 KB, 36 views) Email Attachment
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 09:58 AM   #55 (permalink)

What is the impact on the Enyo team? It seems like they're just really starting to get some deserved traction in the javascript framework world, and I'd hate see to see that negatively impacted.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 10:00 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
Oh how I'd wish one of these to run webOS...
(the phones, not the girls)
No keyboard no care.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eKeith and Rnp like this.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:01 AM   #57 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
No keyboard no care.
Good luck with that.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:32 AM   #58 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

OK, here's my response:

I take a look most days, but today I came from hearing a report on the radio (BBC) so there's another source. I was half listening, but my ears *****ed up at "Mobile World Congress" and then, "LG has bought webOS for televisions". I assumed it was a mistake and that the reporter meant "brought". However, I thought I'd check here to see if the rumoured smart TV would add anything to the webOS story.

What a surprise! WebOS has in fact been BOUGHT in it's entirety (staff included!) by LG - a major electronics company and the 5th largest mobile manufacturer!

It is only televisions at the moment, but the quote from Skott Ahn is "It creates a new path for LG to offer an intuitive user experience and internet services across a range of consumer electronics devices." He did not say a range of televisions, he said a range of consumer devices.

From wikipedia:
"LG Electronics' products include computers, televisions, mobile phones, home appliances and semiconductors."

So let's tick off televisions and of course, ignore semiconductors. Home appliances? Maybe.. (I haven't found an LG toaster yet). What's left? Computers and mobile. I'm not convinced webOS is the best fit for the desktop, but obviously, I am convinced for mobile.

After the HP debacle, I'm wary of making any guesses, but let's be optimistic for a moment:
* The CNET article said LG would continue to support phone users.
* Skott Ahn: "a range of consumer electronics devices."
* LG is a big company and they bought ALL of webOS. This is a company using android and google TV. There must be a plan!

Let's say there's a phone app to control your LG TV - maybe for setting up a video recording from the office - if the TV is webOS, it'll be easier to make the app webOS (OK, enjo will run on many platforms). Cloud connectivity for all your devices is the way things are heading.

Now for a moment of negativity:
* Phone support could be a legal/contractual/PR commitment - soon to vanish
* A range of consumer devices could just be a range of TV's.
* HP was a big company that bought webOS. Fail? No. Epic Fail is the phrase here and why the LG purchase is a surprise, This could mean the software and concepts of webOS are convincing in spite of the mismanagement, but there's no guarantee that LG won't bungle things too.

The questions I hope to get answered soon on this site are:

* Does this include Gram?
* Does this affect open source? I would assume the nature of the licenses make it hard to close it down. Were I an OSS contributor, I would probably have a case if my freely offered contribution was then made proprietary and a company started to make money from my work without enabling the benefits of the open-source model. If gram are an independent growing concern, then that's something, but if they're part of the package or left to go it alone, then it comes down to LG's attitude to open source... (edit: I see now the comment about the apache license - worrying...)
* Have webOS-ports or internals had any contact and and can they throw any more light on the possible future of webOS as a mobile operating system?
* Oh, yeah: Does this include all of Palm's intellectual property? Like the name? Like all the patents? (If HP have the 'smartphone' patent, I can't see them giving it up). LG could rebrand their mobile division - to Palm.
*(edit) Plus enjo of course! Is enjo now seperate? or did LG buy that too?

I just hope that LG's thinking is something like this:
"You know this system has such potential. Why don't we just buy the whole thing?"
"By market share, we're fifth largest in mobile and massively overshadowed by Samsung and Apple. A properly developed webOS could be the edge we need to at least take third place"
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LuckyGoldstar likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:39 AM   #59 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I was half listening, but my ears *****ed up at "Mobile World Congress" and then, "LG has bought webOS for televisions".
Nothing rude happened to my ears, but the system seems to think so!

Let's say my ears twitched then!
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Isandunk likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 10:44 AM   #60 (permalink)

Well, there are some reasons to believe in a better future for webOS from LG.
We've heard LG is going to be one of the first Firefox OS phone makers but since then from LG itself we've only heard they purchased webOS unit from HP.
If you think the main goal of Firefox OS is not to be a platform itself but actually to free the power of the web to become an open ecosystem through technologies as javascript and HTML5 everything can come to a common point.
Samsung is also building an html5-focused os, Tizen, together with Intel and other companies and it's not likely to happen LG will follow Samsung's path.
But with some work on it LG could easily make webOS able to run all those coming web apps and through some compatibility software even some of the hundred thousands Android ones.
I don't really see the reason for LG to want to develop webOS only for their TV business.
Think: Google purchase of Motorola, Google's own hardware,Nexus branded devices and Chromebooks. Microsoft's doing the same with the Surface and it's powering Nokia's offer more and more.
Apple and BlackBerry are, even if in different ways, happy with their vertical distribution. And, nevertheless, Samsung is indeed going to build something around Tizen and it's busy creating some media presence.

LG is one of the most important tech companies in the world. A big one. They don't want to be left behind from Samsung next connected TVs or from Google or Apple or Microsoft in the living room.
LG is also relying entirely on Android for their smartphones business and they probably know it could be risky in the long term. And they are not that busy on the tablet side.

webOS can solve all of these problems and yet be a platform able to enjoy the HTML5 party is going to power Mozilla's phones and Tizen's ones, avoiding even more fragmentation. Yet it's an OS built around powerful languages, that means that can go forward web apps.
We could surely see soon some Surface or Chromebook like devices from LG, with a cool design and meant for the people who mostly lives his computing experience in the web and on the cloud.

webOS is meant for all this, it's up to LG to make a good use of it.
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.

Tags
openwebos, palm, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0