Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
Like Tree119Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @bluenote,

I disagree.... Most people have a cable box/DVR, and that tends to be the remote that gets used 90% of the time... which ever remote gets the most done is gonna be the one sitting on the person's couch.

So i'd think a box that does "everything" on any TV will see more demand, since upgrading one's TV doesn't have to mean losing one's content (apps, etc)

Perhaps it won't be true for everyone, but for most people today, a TV is just a screen, which is quite replaceable. The DVR and game consoles on the other hand, are the "soul" of the TV...
    I think you got that backwards. At $1000+ a pop for the TV and $100+ a pop for the DVR/set top box, most folks would replace the DVR/set top box before the TV. Also, the DVR/set top is easier to give away or toss versus the expensive and cumbersome TV. I agree with Bluenote, I would much rather have an all in one solution that is easily upgradeable to get rid of the cable clutter.

Although I'm skeptical about a webOS TV, I could see it working if the controls were done right and we have access to all of webOS' apps available. Just think if they added more games it would give dedicated console a run for their money. I would also like the ability for a tablet or smart phone to control the TV versus a standard remote. I posted in another thread that I figured out how to get my Touchpad, running webOS, to control YouTube on my PS3 and Vizio box. It makes using YouTube a lot better than trying to type everything out with the remote. They could also add a Microsoft Kinect type controller which would make it a blast to flick cards off the screen.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    it doesn't matter, smart TV is next step in television evolution.
    Only because that is what TV manufacturers want - not because people are saying they want it. At least not the average person.
    dignitary and Remy X like this.
    I agree, but was the same thing with cellular technologies: the TDMA was working and gave space to gsm. GPRS was working and gave space to Edge.

The average person don't say that need, but follow the evolution the same way... to the right or to the wrong!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think you got that backwards. At $1000+ a pop for the TV and $100+ a pop for the DVR/set top box, most folks would replace the DVR/set top box before the TV. Also, the DVR/set top is easier to give away or toss versus the expensive and cumbersome TV. I agree with Bluenote, I would much rather have an all in one solution that is easily upgradeable to get rid of the cable clutter.

Although I'm skeptical about a webOS TV, I could see it working if the controls were done right and we have access to all of webOS' apps available. Just think if they added more games it would give dedicated console a run for their money. I would also like the ability for a tablet or smart phone to control the TV versus a standard remote. I posted in another thread that I figured out how to get my Touchpad, running webOS, to control YouTube on my PS3 and Vizio box. It makes using YouTube a lot better than trying to type everything out with the remote. They could also add a Microsoft Kinect type controller which would make it a blast to flick cards off the screen.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    Well, I haven't heard of anyone throwing out a working HDTV (unless it's a plasma screen with burn-in). You buy a new one, and sell the old on craigslist, if you're moving out of state, or your old tv has dead pixels, or upgrading to a larger size or different technology, you do get some of your money back by selling, versus losing even more by paying a hazmat disposal fee (at least here in california).

That little $100 box on the other hand, you can take it with you no matter what.. And more often than not, the box ties into some kind of a subscription service, so if you're trading a tv for a projector, you won't want to have to start from scratch. If the box becomes outdated, you can easily upgrade it to one with the latest specs without losing your purchases. However i doubt the TV will have expandable storage or anything else that could be improved for $100 post-purchase

That said, there's more than two categories of buyers, so something for everyone
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    But fortunately, we have those that stick around to keep us 'grounded'.
    I know what you mean... treocentral is a good place to be.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112