webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > LG acquires webOS from HP
LG acquires webOS from HP
Like Tree119Likes

Old 02/27/2013, 10:09 AM   #201 (permalink)

It'd be interesting to see a Kinect-like UX
but I'm just playing around with ideas
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 11:19 AM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I haven't listened to it yet.
Who was giving it?
Derek wasn't on, it was just the MWC reporting guys, almost exclusively from Andriod Central. I expect we will hear from Derek soon once he feels he knows enough about what is going on.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 11:36 AM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
"work with android" for me sounds like LG Android phones and tablets will have a WebOS skin.
If that is the case, then it would be similar to RIM buying The Astonishing Tribe for the UI team --- the number of engineers bought by RIM from the TAT deal is actually more people than LG getting from the webOS deal.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 12:30 PM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
Derek wasn't on, it was just the MWC reporting guys, almost exclusively from Andriod Central. I expect we will hear from Derek soon once he feels he knows enough about what is going on.
The one guy, in a sarcastic way, said "smart TV with WebOS on it . . . Goodbye smart TVs". Then the host couldn't remember then name of this website . I can't stand snobs.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 12:35 PM   #205 (permalink)

I actually don't get the deal about smart TVs. I'd rather prefer hooking up stuff up to a TV than to have things built in and hard to change. It's not as if it's easier to load a new TV firmware than to mod an external box, since if any hardware hacks are to be done, it's easier to mess with a moderately sized box than to deal with a big panel of stuff. The Smart TV experience currently are significantly worse than with an external attachment, from what I can tell.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by brandongoeszoom likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 09:02 PM   #206 (permalink)
Banned

https://www.npdgroupblog.com/interne...ats-about-all/

That's why people are largely ignoring the Smart TV features. They in massive part just don't care about having yet another appliance to have to interact with when they already have phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops. Many times all of the above.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 02/27/2013, 11:12 PM   #207 (permalink)

The key question is whether LG's initiative (if they believe it) will cause a paradigm shift in how people consume media...or use the TV as we see it currently.
Google, apple, samsung have decided that the smart tv is the way to go..and going about it various way. LG is thinking about it another way. I believe whoever comes out with a easier way to consume media via how we traditionally interact with the tv - from the now (not so easy) to a more intuitive, usable and plug and play way of consuming media / sources of data will win...that would mean bringing in the whole media consuming ecosystem from music, internet, movies, news and allow for advertisement in a seamless manner.

Everyone remembers when folks were saying the slab will not sell?, apple with the ipad proved it wrong. Everyone said a Phablet would not sell, samsung proved with Note 1 and 2 that it can sell very well. It's all about putting a compelling usable solution (Not like a HP slate 7)...into the market and create a market with it and see it grow with uptake.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/28/2013, 12:39 AM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
https://www.npdgroupblog.com/interne...ats-about-all/

That's why people are largely ignoring the Smart TV features. They in massive part just don't care about having yet another appliance to have to interact with when they already have phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops. Many times all of the above.
it doesn't matter, smart TV is next step in television evolution.
Old 02/28/2013, 01:03 AM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I actually don't get the deal about smart TVs. I'd rather prefer hooking up stuff up to a TV than to have things built in and hard to change. It's not as if it's easier to load a new TV firmware than to mod an external box, since if any hardware hacks are to be done, it's easier to mess with a moderately sized box than to deal with a big panel of stuff. The Smart TV experience currently are significantly worse than with an external attachment, from what I can tell.
Exactly! I'd much rather have a Smart TV box instead of a $1,000+ television. I'd think they'd sell more with a ~$100 box than a TV.

Of course, teh experience has to be great as well. All of the interfaces I've seen so far have been less than par, in my opinion. But then again, I have high standards when it comes to design.
Old 02/28/2013, 02:00 AM   #210 (permalink)

I've got the Samsung UE55ES8080 at home in my livingroom, a really good and brilliant TV. It's got all the SmartTV features one would want, including voice and gesture control.
In short it's a 55 inch tablet which you mainly use for watching TV. And heck, why not? I could not imagine having a less interesting or less playful TV at home ...

But then, I am a tech geek and like my toys. So maybe I am not representative in that
Old 02/28/2013, 03:29 AM   #211 (permalink)

Sorry if it has been discussed before but I really liked this:
First LG webOS TVs to launch in 2014 with revamped interface, but details still light | The Verge

First of all I liked the fact that Mr Chang contacted the Verge to make them change what they wrote. And I also liked this:
Quote:
Chang, who said that LG is "very confident webOS technology is a gamechanger when it comes to user experience." Chang said that he sees webOS and its underlying HTML-based Enyo framework as being key to solving the "fragmentation issue" with smart TVs that all have different platforms. As more and more content moves to the web, Chang said he thinks webOS will "really help bringing content back to smart TV, to tablets, PCs, other products."
And also I don't know if he was just saying it to impress, but it seems they have a prototype:

Quote:
"We have a demo running right now," Chang told me. "I would love to show it to you, but I can't." And when I said I still didn't know exactly why LG had bought webOS, Chang simply laughed and said "you don't know because we haven't told you. But we're very confident in our plans." We'll see if that confidence can pay off after another year of development.
PS I also liked the part he laughed. "We laugh at you, puny journalist". OK I know that it didn't happen. Again sorry if it has been posted before.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/28/2013, 03:35 AM   #212 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Loiter,

I doubt he'd go out of his way to say that there is something, but it's not demonstrable to the public, if there wasn't something. They've already stated a lot of things, and this is a multimillion dollar company that does not have a giant series of massive missteps in its past. Hopefully it doesn't have one in its present/future
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 04:38 AM   #213 (permalink)

The fact that the rumour about the LG TV surfaced months ago, makes me think the same.
And the sooner we get a webOS TV, the better chances are for a webOS phone.
Slim, but existant.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 04:41 AM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Loiter,

..., and this is a multimillion dollar company that does not have a giant series of massive missteps in its past. Hopefully it doesn't have one in its present/future
LG's position on the market is tense.

On the TV sector as well as on the Android Phone/Tablet sector, Samsung is extremely dominant. LGs revenue was not developing as good as they hoped for a while now.

It might be wise for LG to have a fallback scenario even tablet/smartphone wise (remember, Samsung has Bada/Tizen).
And if they can establish something interesting and new on the smartTV sector, well, then they might gain back some marketshare even from the big Threestar ...

But time will tell, and as always, all we can do is wildly speculate beforehand, and then later discuss things once LG comes clear...
Old 02/28/2013, 05:22 AM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I think they should build a smart remote or box running webos. I mean I now use a projector for my main big screen enjoyment device. Guess I will be out of luck
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 10:35 AM   #216 (permalink)

I think over the next 2 years we'll see an increase in the competition in the mobile operating system space. I was a little surprised how much they were talking about looking forward to seeing these additional operating systems on TWiT recently (mainly talking about Tizen/Firefox/Ubuntu, but still... I think webOS can have a heck of a head start compared to those if it's handled right).

LG has one advantage, they have a whole case study on what not to do already. Just look at the last 3 years of HP!

Their CEO isn't going to be caught up in some sort of infidelity scandal or anything is he?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 01:00 PM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
Exactly! I'd much rather have a Smart TV box instead of a $1,000+ television. I'd think they'd sell more with a ~$100 box than a TV.

Of course, teh experience has to be great as well. All of the interfaces I've seen so far have been less than par, in my opinion. But then again, I have high standards when it comes to design.
Regular people (non geeks) want just one box plug n play. They don't want the extra box and cable cluttering their livingroom. They have a hard time figuring out how to change inputs and then forget once they hsve learned. They are confused between hdmi, digital and composite input choices.

Apple which took the world by storm with simplifying the smartphone to iPhone, has sold lesx than 10 million apple tvs , a "hobby" for the company.

Very very smart for LG to get ahead of the game by introducing their solution before Apple, webOS can be FIRST rather than a me too , and it already has a name as elegant and a fan base (small but it has some good journalists who want it to succeed).

So good ,luck LG. Let me know if you want a beta tester.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/28/2013, 01:47 PM   #218 (permalink)

@bluenote,

I disagree.... Most people have a cable box/DVR, and that tends to be the remote that gets used 90% of the time... which ever remote gets the most done is gonna be the one sitting on the person's couch.

So i'd think a box that does "everything" on any TV will see more demand, since upgrading one's TV doesn't have to mean losing one's content (apps, etc)

Perhaps it won't be true for everyone, but for most people today, a TV is just a screen, which is quite replaceable. The DVR and game consoles on the other hand, are the "soul" of the TV...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/28/2013, 02:17 PM   #219 (permalink)

Have you seen LG Hecto? LG calls it 'Laser TV', although it's a projector... now this is the "TV" that really puts my years-old television-related "meh" to the test

LG Cinema Beam short-throw laser projector and 100-inch screen released in Korea
briest is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
Thanked by Remy X, RumoredNow
Old 02/28/2013, 02:47 PM   #220 (permalink)

There will be no updates from HP or LG in terms of current Palm/HP hardware.

OpenWebOS may be able to be used for a meaningful and useful experience on someone else's hardware.

Other than that, it's as it has been up to now.

My opinion.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
openwebos, palm, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0