Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    emended: give royalties to HP for the copy of webos software on each tv
    LG owns webOS completely now, they don't have to pay HP anything.

On the other hand, HP has to pay LG for the right to access the webOS source code in order for HP to continue to service existing webOS device customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    LG owns webOS completely now, they don't have to pay HP anything.

On the other hand, HP has to pay LG for the right to access the webOS source code in order for HP to continue to service existing webOS device customers.
    None of us here (unless your name is R. Lane or M. Whitman) knows the terms of the deal, so everything we're saying is pure speculation.
    What gives you the guarantee that LG didn't or is not paying anything? The press release explicitly stated that the deal includes license of HP patents including patents of the core os but also the UI. And if you're using some one's else IP (even if it's bundle on your own product) you normally have to pay for it.
    We can see several scenari:
    1/Like Bluenote said LG is paying royalties for every product sold.
    2/ LG paid X money for a Y years lease
    3/ The deal grants LG a perpetual free licence

Edit: And I would be really surprised HP inked a deal where they have to pay to access webos documentation. If you're following this saga long enough you probably know one of the reason webOS deals failed back in 2011 was that HP wanted a free access from whoever purchases it.
    Last edited by Vity Traff; 02/26/2013 at 06:40 PM.
    dignitary and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    None of us here (unless your name is R. Lane or M. Whitman) knows the terms of the deal, so everything we're saying is pure speculation.
    What gives you the guarantee that LG didn't or is not paying anything? The press release explicitly stated that the deal includes license of HP patents including patents of the core os but also the UI. And if you're using some one's else IP (even if it's bundle on your own product) you normally have to pay for it.

Edit: And I would be really surprised HP inked a deal where they have to pay to access webos documentation. If you're following this saga long enough you probably know one of the reason webOS deals failed back in 2011 was that HP wanted a free access from whoever purchases it.
    Whoa, I like this post.

Good job!
    I bet whatever this webos tv thing turns out to be it will disappoint
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post

Of course, the probability is very high that HP has gotten a perpetual license back and access to the webOS --- all similar deals have that.

I was just illustrating the proper arrangement to these deals. In real life, you try to pay as few dollars to the tax man as possible --- which means that nobody tries to generate any ADDITIONAL revenue in the future. HP gets a free license to the webOS and access to the source code and LG gets some sort of patent licensing deal from HP for the Palm patents. That way you only pay taxes once.

What you don't do is that LG pays HP $100 for the webOS source code and then HP has to pay 35% corporate income tax for the $100 in income. And then HP pays $10 to LG for the perpetual license back for webOS and then LG pays 35% corporate income tax for that $10 income. What you do in real life is LG pays HP $90 for the webOS source code and everybody (except the tax man) wins.
    Last edited by samab; 02/26/2013 at 07:09 PM.
    All speculation.
    dignitary and Buddy1969 like this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    All speculation.
    There are many missing pieces on what LG is going to do with webOS --- thus all kinds of speculations.

But in terms of structuring deals to avoid the tax man, it is relatively easy to figure out. The FIRST thing you should know is that HP has to retain Palm for a minimum of 2 years before selling it to someone else --- because a huge tax bill would have to be paid if HP ditched Palm less than 2 years after they bought it. So HP ditched the TouchPad after the first year and had to say meaningless things for the second year --- while waiting until the 2 year period has passed in order to sell Palm.

No way in hell that any sane tax accountant is going to structure a deal in which LG has to pay a PER TV patent licensing fee to HP for those Palm patents.
    HP bought Palm in April 2010, well over 2 years ago.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    HP bought Palm in April 2010, well over 2 years ago.
    They couldn't find a buyer.

Just because you offered something for sale or for licensing --- doesn't mean that you are going to find someone to bite. Palm finished Palm OS 6 Cobalt and offered it for licensing --- guess what? Not a single company on this planet licensed it.
    Rnp and xandros9 like this.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I bet whatever this webos tv thing turns out to be it will disappoint
    The key thing about the TV is that they plan to get one out in 2014 - when you couple that with statement that they will try that before anything else with WebOS, even if they did decide to do a mobile that would be late 2014? Early 2015?
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    The key thing about the TV is that they plan to get one out in 2014 - when you couple that with statement that they will try that before anything else with WebOS, even if they did decide to do a mobile that would be late 2014? Early 2015?
    When will web apps come of age? It seems to me that would change the field. The carriers would need to approve the phone. What does it mean that LG said in one of the interviews that webOS can work with android--would an android phone be able to control a webOS appliance?
    Would there be functional advantages to having a webOS phone control a webOS tv? Obviously, there might be UI advantages.
    I'm writing a lot of questions here so we can continue this discussion and Derek can get his hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    When will web apps come of age? It seems to me that would change the field. The carriers would need to approve the phone. What does it mean that LG said in one of the interviews that webOS can work with android--would an android phone be able to control a webOS appliance?
    Would there be functional advantages to having a webOS phone control a webOS tv? Obviously, there might be UI advantages.
    I'm writing a lot of questions here so we can continue this discussion and Derek can get his hits.
    "work with android" for me sounds like LG Android phones and tablets will have a WebOS skin.

Edit: Also the phones and tablets will also have the WebOS mail and calendar apps.
    All speculation.
    Are you saying that the LG licencing and buying the webOS is speculation???

Putz... guy, was a fact... look in IT news websites...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    We have no answer to this question until... 2014? Before? After?

By the way, in mobile market the things are moving fast... more than in TV market...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    We have no answer to this question until... 2014? Before? After?

By the way, in mobile market the things are moving fast... more than in TV market...

Best Regards...
    well, we cant say they move faster, their probably exactly the same, the main difference is that people just tend to swap their phones faster than they replace a tv, due to phone contracts.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Are you saying that the LG licencing and buying the webOS is speculation???

Putz... guy, was a fact... look in IT news websites...

Best Regards...
    No, the buying of WebOS is fact.
    But everything else is speculation. In this, rnlp is right.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Pete,

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    well, we cant say they move faster, their probably exactly the same, the main difference is that people just tend to swap their phones faster than they replace a tv, due to phone contracts.
    Does not really matter the reason, the fact is that move faster.

But look... we can find smartphones having screens with full HD to buy. This was a fastest evolution.

For other side, find some TV with definition higher than full HD is hard & very expensive... are you agree that the mobile market is very faster?

Best Regards...
    I thought WebOSNation was a part of Mobile Nation. I just listened to their newly released podcast and they sounded somewhat snobbish with the news about LG and WebOS. Kind of p*ssed me off a little. Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    Speculation is what tech geeks do.
    We like to imagine good things for technology.
    We, in these forums, like to hope good things for webOS. Nothing wrong with that.
    But I guess we could be 'Realists' and expect nothing good from webOS until we see it.
    But fortunately, we have those that stick around to keep us 'grounded'.
    Just call me Berd.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I thought WebOSNation was a part of Mobile Nation. I just listened to their newly released podcast and they sounded somewhat snobbish with the news about LG and WebOS. Kind of p*ssed me off a little. Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    I haven't listened to it yet.
    Who was giving it?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast