webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Whitman: HP Pursuing multi-operating system strategy
Whitman: HP Pursuing multi-operating system strategy
Like Tree30Likes

Old 02/22/2013, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

In the CNBC interview, Whitman says they are pursuing multi-operating system strategy but she did not confirm android. I'm still hoping if its android, openWebOS may find its way also into the mix, else why support gram, open source linux efforts etc?

edit: also they need proprietary software for an edge, they can't compete with low cost android hardware makers indefinitely

"There is also a transition from one operating system to multi-operating systems and we are pursuing a multi-operating system strategy," Whitman said. "We've got to reallocate resources from just our PC business to mobility business, from one operating system to multi-operating systems, and we have to allocate more resources to services because profit pulls are shifting here."

Recent reports have claimed that HP is moving away from using Microsoft's operating system solely for its tablets and is adopting Google's Android platform, but HP has not officially confirmed the reports.

(Read More: HP Working on Android Tablet: Reports)"
Expect HP Revenue Growth in 2014: Meg Whitman
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/23/2013, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
In the CNBC interview, Whitman says they are pursuing multi-operating system strategy but she did not confirm android. I'm still hoping if its android, openWebOS may find its way also into the mix, else why support gram, open source linux efforts etc?

edit: also they need proprietary software for an edge, they can't compete with low cost android hardware makers indefinitely

"There is also a transition from one operating system to multi-operating systems and we are pursuing a multi-operating system strategy," Whitman said. "We've got to reallocate resources from just our PC business to mobility business, from one operating system to multi-operating systems, and we have to allocate more resources to services because profit pulls are shifting here."

Recent reports have claimed that HP is moving away from using Microsoft's operating system solely for its tablets and is adopting Google's Android platform, but HP has not officially confirmed the reports.

(Read More: HP Working on Android Tablet: Reports)"
Expect HP Revenue Growth in 2014: Meg Whitman
I feel like this would make the smartest move. HP spent a billion dollars purchasing webOS, for them to not do anything with it would be a colossal waste of money and doesn't seem like something they should do. By releasing (possibly) phones dualbooting webOS and Android, they can cater to the large population of the Android fans, while getting webOS to the masses. My guess is they'll put this "Professional Version" of webOS we've been hearing so much about. Well, this is what I hope they'll do anyways.
bubbatannous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

windows 8 and android is my bet , WebOS would be fantastic but I can't see itt happening :-(
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

to me it just sounds like they dont have the balls to commit and more importantly dont want to innovate or work hard on 1 system, follow the rest of the crowd and hope you can leech some luck.
Old 02/23/2013, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think Android first to see what type of reception they get on their hardware.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
"There is also a transition from one operating system to multi-operating systems and we are pursuing a multi-operating system strategy,"
Translation from Corporate Speak to english:
We tried to go with the old safe option of just using Windows, but the numbers are in and W8 is not selling on tablets (not going too well on PC either but consumers don't get much choice there).
So we just throw everything at the wall until something sticks, because we can't internally agree on anything and don't have the guts to see anything through beyond a quarter or 2.
Old 02/23/2013, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholap View Post
Translation from Corporate Speak to english:
We tried to go with the old safe option of just using Windows, but the numbers are in and W8 is not selling on tablets (not going too well on PC either but consumers don't get much choice there).
So we just throw everything at the wall until something sticks, because we can't internally agree on anything and don't have the guts to see anything through beyond a quarter or 2.
I hate to say it but your translation sounds logical. The PC biz is shrinking so they must get into mobile with android which is selling better than windows but they can't do it in a way which damages webos even more than they already did because long term android is not safe for them, too many other players who can do it even more cheaply, they will be another me too competing on the shelves of
Bestbuy or staples
Old 02/23/2013, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is not discouraging. I want to know more. Don't let us down Mega Meg!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It is encouraging... and speaks against continued use of Windows for mobile. Widows probably wouldn't share boot with anyone, even at threat of nuclear detonation in Redmond.

I'm not sure how Google would treat OEM dual boot hardware either.

It would seem to put some pressure on gram to produce the mythical Open webOS Pro.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
I think Android first to see what type of reception they get on their hardware.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
i don't think you will ever see another webos based device from hp.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well always easier to say they won't take the risk. But also depends on that Whitman 3 to 5 yr plan for open webos and did she modify it from a year ago because tech changes so fast?
Read some story that some street analysts are a little more impressed after she beat estimates for the Q. Still we never got a good explanation initially as to what niche she saw for webos and what gram is doing, it never got out of stealth mode.
Old 02/23/2013, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Since both open webOS and Android are based on Linux, my guess is that HP will used them both. Each OS can use the same version of the kernel and the same drivers. Both WebOS and Android already run on the TouchPad with little to no issues.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Run Android apps on webOS?
Or an android launcher with, cards?

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
Kratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Since both open webOS and Android are based on Linux, my guess is that HP will used them both. Each OS can use the same version of the kernel and the same drivers. Both WebOS and Android already run on the TouchPad with little to no issues.

I think that was intention of openwebos. There were some smart people who planned this. Question is whether HP leaders will go ahead and put it in motion. I'd like to think Meg Whitman would try. It is a low cost, low risk differentiator. If so, will it be a homebrew install or will it be advertised openly? The latter would take some boldness that I'm not sure HP has. Or has HP offered this option to some other OEM?
I almost think with hardware getting very cheap and good that almost any company (including HP) can pay an OEM for 10,000 units and put webos on it and see if it sells. (I bought a Nexus 7 for my fiancee and it's a nice form factor for $199. I have a work Ipad Mini and it's nice but not substantially better)
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 05:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Well always easier to say they won't take the risk. But also depends on that Whitman 3 to 5 yr plan for open webos and did she modify it from a year ago because tech changes so fast?
There is no plan. If there were a plan we would see more activity re webos and HP wouldn't have let so much high profile talent leave. And/or they would have brought new people in.

The fact that we hardly get any news since openweb release is that there is no big plan atm that would generate any news.

Oh I'm sure a few people are working on Enyo and they probably are working on some prototype TVs and toasters or whatever. But nothing in the mobile area - which makes it all useless.
At the rate at which things are going Ubuntu will make it onto actual devices before webos. And if Ubuntu can show that it's nice UI is good enough then HP won't even get webos on embedded devices (like TV) because Canonical is working on that too.

If Ubuntu even get's close to 1% market share within a year or 2 - then HP needs to go into the corner and be very very shamed. Because Canonical is a *tiny* company with a fraction of the resources and connections that HP could bring (if they got their heads our of the sand for a change).

Any hopes I have for webos are solely based on homebrew hackers. HP doesn't play a role in my expectations.
Old 02/24/2013, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

TBH... If I were HP and wanted to do it right, I wouldn't want anything to do with webOS publicly until it was ready. Things were released half baked arguably before, and they are trying to fix their bottom line as said in the article. If they were talking webos this and webos that, investors and the public would probably think they've all gone nuts.

I think the stealthiness of Gram and how tight lipped everything has been about that group plays into this as well.

until we hear the news its all just speculation, but gosh I hope its right.
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/24/2013, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hmm, i think some forward thinking forum member might have even mentioned new tablets from HP having an Open webOS partition on them on a previous thread, prior to Meg's comments. That guy must be amazing!

spoiler alert - it was yours truly *takes ironic virtual bow*

Could we lobby HP to create OpenWebOS/WebOS Ports friendly Android tablets?

In all seriousness though, I do really hope this happens - it means new hardware for a small but fiercely loyal community desperate for it and gives HP something in the current market.
Old 02/24/2013, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
cgk

WebOS is dead in HP, why people are seeing signs of anything else is... baffling.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 09:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
WebOS is dead in HP, why people are seeing signs of anything else is... baffling.

Always here to destroy webOS.... CGK and Apotheker should be synonyms.

k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 02/24/2013, 10:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Always here to destroy webOS.... CGK and Apotheker should be synonyms.

i agree with him, webos is dead as far as hp is concerned. it's either you stick to an outdated platform or move on like most of us did. and before you say im a troll im not, i used to own several webos devices years ago.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0