webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Whitman: HP Pursuing multi-operating system strategy
Whitman: HP Pursuing multi-operating system strategy
Like Tree30Likes

Old 02/24/2013, 08:17 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Because of what HP did to the release date purchasers of the TP (I am one of them) you got to be a moron to purchase one of their tablets on or near there release date. HP burned a lot of bridges with their handling of WebOS and ****ing on their loyal customers.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
Did you get the rebate after the drop in price? I was a release date purchaser also. When HP dropped the price from $600 to $150, I got back $450 plus what I paid in taxes. I was able to buy another TouchPad for my wife, two touchstone chargers, two cases, and a HP wireless keyboard for what I got back.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and jason.o like this.
Old 02/24/2013, 09:33 PM   #62 (permalink)
Tazmorator

Off Topic:

I posted in a thread, then I posted in another.
I preferred my second post more than my first.
Old 02/24/2013, 10:01 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Wow! Seeing a lot of activity and reaction in the forums today about HP pursing different OSes, building multiple tablets, and even a review about their Slate 7. It is very funny how certain people here stated that HP was right to get out of the mobile business when they unceremoniously dumped their webOS mobile line in favor of becoming IBM lite.

Now HP is crawling back into mobile when they should have never left after wasting billions of dollars and effectively killing a very good mobile OS in the process. They are flailing around instead of having a coherent strategy. If the initial reviews on their low cost Slate 7 are any indication, their Android strategy will be an epic failure like their Windows 8 and Autonomy strategies. HP needs to grow a pair, build out a decent webOS infrastructure, and quit reaching for the low hanging fruit. Here is a tip for you HP, anything that is worth having is worth investing time, effort, and money into it.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
I like your post K4ever. But they are obviously pursuing this low cost android strategy, just trying to sell units and gain some market share, maybe they think their distribution will help them. I'm not even sure if this is a US strategy or one for the third world.
webos internals thinks the hardware on the newly announced tablet is three years behind the curve and not even worth porting webOS to.

I am disappointed and would like to hear more from them about their plans for gram and webOS.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 11:09 PM   #64 (permalink)

So what keeps bringing you back to these said forums unless you too are suffering from this battered syndrome?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 12:25 AM   #65 (permalink)

I think one fair question to us all here in webos is this...

IF HP come April - which is like 1+ months away releases the Slate 7 and makes it available on OpenOS, would you buy it?
eventhough - a. processor is poor, memory is paltry 8GB, no GPS, no 3G?, not high resolution....at the price stated i.e on par with android?

Look at what's happening now.
1. They've updated the development platform to enable Android, blackberry devs to write. Porting from other platforms should be easy...
2. There has been silence from GRAM on their OpenOS updates.... (I hope Synergy gets included) and there is huge improvement on boot speed.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 01:07 AM   #66 (permalink)

Is the ARM Dual Core Cortex-A9 1.6 GHz processor poor? It also has a microSD card slot for more storage.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 02:09 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
It also has a microSD card slot for more storage.
tbh so do far cheaper chineese knockoffs.
Old 02/25/2013, 02:33 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Is the ARM Dual Core Cortex-A9 1.6 GHz processor poor? It also has a microSD card slot for more storage.
I think the processor would be faster then the following 1.6Ghz Atom processor from Intel used for netbooks.
Fastest ARM chips are comparable to Intel's slowest Atom chips - Liliputing

Another link showing the TI -A9 implementation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_I...ts_OMAP#OMAP_4

shows these devices using similar technology - Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Archos 80 Turbo (Gen 9) 1.5 GHz & 1.2 Ghz, Archos 101 Turbo (Gen 9) 1.5 GHz & 1.2 GHz, Huawei Ascend D1,[31] Huawei Ascend P1/P1S,[32] Pandaboard ES,[33] Sharp Aquos Phone 104SH, Variscite VAR-SOM-OM44,[34] Nexus Q,[35] BlackBerry Playbook 4G LTE, Kindle Fire HD 7", BlackBerry Dev Alpha

which is not too bad...
You can play your games...watch videos, surf. No need to type faster or surf faster or play subway faster.

Last edited by daexpression; 02/25/2013 at 02:40 AM.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 05:39 AM   #69 (permalink)

LG taking over.... To make tvs...

It looks like it's all over.

** forever, hp...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 06:04 AM   #70 (permalink)

I like the looks of hp's elite pad

HP ElitePad Features | Business Touch Tablet | HP® Official Site

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Tweaks enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 06:54 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
I like your post K4ever. But they are obviously pursuing this low cost android strategy, just trying to sell units and gain some market share, maybe they think their distribution will help them. I'm not even sure if this is a US strategy or one for the third world.
webos internals thinks the hardware on the newly announced tablet is three years behind the curve and not even worth porting webOS to.

I am disappointed and would like to hear more from them about their plans for gram and webOS.
This "low cost strategy" isn't low enough, imo, when you can spend an extra $30 and get a Nexus with more pixels, better processor, and a GPS. Time will tell, but I'm predicting lackluster sales. Maybe they're just hoping to snag sales from the uninformed.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 06:59 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
This "low cost strategy" isn't low enough, imo, when you can spend an extra $30 and get a Nexus with more pixels, better processor, and a GPS. Time will tell, but I'm predicting lackluster sales. Maybe they're just hoping to snag sales from the uninformed.
Knowing HP, after this doesn't sell well because of their half hearted effort they will probably kill their Android mobile division then try and spin off the printing division in one stroke. Afterwards you will be able to purchase their stock with soda and fries from McDonald's for $2.99.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 07:04 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
That is why I am thinking this one is a third world strategy where $30 is a lot of money. Or maybe bulk enterprise buy, maybe their research told them this was the price and at $30 more there was resistance to bulk sales. (Heck, the way our economy is going, this could be us in some years also).

But you're right. I don't get the long game which surely has to be proprietary software. Mobile is slowly turning more web-based, but still very slow, I guess the Verge wasn't impressed with the initial version of firefox phones,; we need a mobile web for there to be enough apps for an Open webOS, so does this drag on for another year or so with the open community developing webOS but HP seeking to gain units and market share from a range of cheap android and 1 or 2 windows tablets?
Old 02/25/2013, 07:19 AM   #74 (permalink)

If the rumor is true that LG purchased WebOS then who cares what tablets HP makes. I have no good taste in my mouth when it comes to HP and couldn't care less what direction they go.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 07:25 AM   #75 (permalink)

Whoa the LG rumor is being reported on NBC news as source LG (from CNET?).
Hmmn one of the former top HP guys (left the co) who originally was part of the weOS acquisition team went over to an independent tv industry group...

edit: story is no longer on CNET website. Hope the deal terms have been signed...'

edit2: there was a quote from LG on the original CNET story so it must have been an official press release, maybe someone at the top did not yet Ok final version. Derek on front page says he independently verified the story.

LG acquires webOS from HP, plans to use it in smart TV platform | NBC News

Last edited by bluenote; 02/25/2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02/25/2013, 07:30 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
That is why I am thinking this one is a third world strategy where $30 is a lot of money. Or maybe bulk enterprise buy, maybe their research told them this was the price and at $30 more there was resistance to bulk sales. (Heck, the way our economy is going, this could be us in some years also).

But you're right. I don't get the long game which surely has to be proprietary software. Mobile is slowly turning more web-based, but still very slow, I guess the Verge wasn't impressed with the initial version of firefox phones,; we need a mobile web for there to be enough apps for an Open webOS, so does this drag on for another year or so with the open community developing webOS but HP seeking to gain units and market share from a range of cheap android and 1 or 2 windows tablets?
In the perfect world, we wouldn't need OS specific apps, but we're far from being in that perfect world, unfortunately. I've only been in the smartphone race for three years, and a lot has changed since then. I'm liking the current state of Android, and what it has to offer, but who knows where I'll be three years from now.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 07:38 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
In the perfect world, we wouldn't need OS specific apps, but we're far from being in that perfect world, unfortunately. I've only been in the smartphone race for three years, and a lot has changed since then. I'm liking the current state of Android, and what it has to offer, but who knows where I'll be three years from now.
Android will never be an option for those who want more security and privacy so there is a market for something else--whether IOS fills the whole thing or IOS/Blackberry/Windows.. or webOS somehow gets revived in a few years once the web advances

story confirmed by allthingsD which is WSJ owned I think. Says press release was supposed to be released later in the day and that is why it is pulled from CNET.

http://allthingsd.com/20130225/webos...g-televisions/
Old 02/25/2013, 12:59 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
No, its not. CPU is strong enough. It's a low end device with premium feel and there is market for it.
On some sites like Gizmo do, reviews are quite favorable.
Old 02/25/2013, 01:35 PM   #79 (permalink)
Rnp

Putz... all members that dislike webOS came back from his graves???

I actual state, any hardware is welcome!

Best Regards...
Old 02/25/2013, 01:36 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
No, its not. CPU is strong enough. It's a low end device with premium feel and there is market for it.
On some sites like Gizmo do, reviews are quite favorable.
Thanks.

This is a device that doesn't carry the Palm debt and is most likely not a big investment.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0