Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    I think I agreed with CGK. WebOS already dead since Hp make it open source. I have 4 webOS devices, and still using 3 of them, but time to move on. Like or not my choice should be Android. I hate the OS, but I need big screen smartphone or 7" tablet. I will buy nexus 7" 3G soon when it is available in my country, or maybe sammy S4. IPhone already lost its magic. WinPhone OS still need much time to mature. Hp is big crap company They don't have great vision and don't have guts to do like Apple do
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Always here to destroy webOS.... CGK and Apotheker should be synonyms.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Yes it's my posts on a talkforum with maybe 50(?) regulars that destroyed WebOS - HP were powerless to stop me.

Surely there has to be a point where some of you manage to outgrow your battered wife stage and realise that not only has your husband burnt down your house, he skipped down months ago and the odd text message you get from him mean nothing.
    i agree with him, webos is dead as far as hp is concerned. it's either you stick to an outdated platform or move on like most of us did. and before you say im a troll im not, i used to own several webos devices years ago.
    In a sense I have "moved on". I have more Android devices then I have webOS ones. I have CM10 (Schizoid ROM) installed on my TouchPad right next to webOS. For two straight months (December 16, 2012 to February 21, 2013) I didn't even boot into webOS on my TouchPad. I also have no love for HP. However, I don't come here to the webOSnation forum with the specific intent to throw salt on the wounds that have been inflicted on webOS by HP and others. I don't go to the Android forums to do the same to Android or the iOS forums to iOS. Most of us are here because we love webOS and want to see it succeed. We are not ignorant to webOS' misfortunes by any measure.

4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    So why don't we just have more realistic conversations about what WebOS can be used for? you'll notice I never ever comment on anyone's individual preference for having a WebOS device - I just find it baffling that people are still expecting HP to swing in and save the day.
    So why don't we just have more realistic conversations about what WebOS can be used for? you'll notice I never ever comment on anyone's individual preference for having a WebOS device - I just find it baffling that people are still expecting HP to swing in and save the day.
    If you care to read most of the comments by me and others, we do have realistic conversation about webOS. Right now, like it or not, HP is the only company with enough money and interest to take webOS (back)into the main stream. They still employ webOS engineers and still hold the patents/code/secrets to webOS. Problem is that unlike Palm who had the passion but not the funds, HP has the funds but no passion. Nothing that they have done with respects to webOS or mobile in general has made any sense to anyone, including members of their own company. Look at what happened to their stock after the announcement to kill webOS. Read the countless stories on the tech sites about HP's decisions going forward from there (they are the **** of a lot of jokes in the industry). Most of us just hope that HP would come to its senses. However, their track record lately doesn't support our hope.

C-Note likes this.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Slate 7 Tablet | HP« Official Site

tells us everything we need to know:

"To address the growing interest in tablets among consumers and businesses alike, HP will offer a range of form factors and leverage an array of operating systems," said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP. "Our new HP Slate7 on Android represents a compelling entry point for consumer tablets, while our ground-breaking, business-ready HP ElitePad on Windows« 8 is ideal for enterprises and governments. Both deliver the service and support people expect from HP."
    Last edited by cgk; 02/24/2013 at 11:29 AM.
    @k4ever: 'I don't throw salt on the wound' because I am hp's victim too. Realistic is webOS is dead. Open webOS or webOS community edition even not available for us to use beside just in beta section. Gram is a big question mark for me. What exactly is that company? Months passed and none good news for us. Why still stick with our hope that hp will do something with webOS. They already killed Palm and never will revive webOS. If I am an hp board director, I maybe do the same, why risk billions of dollar to develop new OS (again), while others already available to use. In bisnis perspective, webOS is a total failure. But as webOS lover, hp is just another devil that took our "precious"
    There is nothing wrong with wishing or hoping for the best. Sometimes wonderful things happen. I remember participating in some heated discussions online about a decade ago about Microsoft's dominance in the computer industry. I got burned by Windows 95. Windows 98/ME were no better. The only version of Windows that was even worthwhile (from a security standpoint) was Windows 2000. I had switch to Linux. I couldn't afford Apple products at the time, but I had used them a lot in school. I recommended to all my friends that could afford them to by Macs and all those who couldn't to switch to Linux. There were guys just like CGK who spoke of the demise of Apple. There were folks who said that Linux would never make it to mainstream. I was naive to think that Apple would ever become a dominate force in the business ever again. I was unrealistic in thinking that an OS that was free and open source would ever generate enough revenue or interest to take on Windows. Everyone who argued with me were flat wrong. Apple now dominates the computing industry because their products are easy to use and have a ton of support. Linux is in just about everything we use today. Android and webOS use Linux at their core. Desktop Linux is alive and kicking. I also predicted the demise of Internet Explorer by Netscape's spawn, Mozilla, and its spawn, Firefox.

The problem, CGK, is that I don't feel that you can look beyond the hand that right in front of your face. WebOS has a place in the market because the market leaders have well known weaknesses. IOS has a lot of apps. However, IOS is too walled off for a lot of people. The profit margins are high, but only Apple makes money off of the OS and the ecosystem. Android is open enough for others to use, but it is just a mess. The user experience is crappy out of the box. You need to spend a lot of time and some money to make it better. The profit margins are extremely low and there is a lot of financial liability (Microsoft makes more off of it then Google or the hardware manufactures). Windows 8 has too many problems to name in one post (and yes, I do own a Windows 8 device as of two weeks ago). The user experience on webOS is phenomenal, but the infrastructure is not there. There are no new devices and developers have given up on the platform. HP could turn it around by simply making some new and compelling webOS devices and by actually committing in the long term to the platform.

9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts

The problem, CGK, is that I don't feel that you can look beyond the hand that right in front of your face. WebOS has a place in the market because the market leaders have well known weaknesses. IOS has a lot of apps. However, IOS is too walled off for a lot of people.

WebOS doesn't actually exist in the market. The rest is just wishful thinking, you think HP has just outlined a strategy based around android for the consumer and W8 for business because it is intended to do something with WebOS?

Even if someone else decided to take a punt, you are effectively asking them to spend hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars on the hope that they can maybe fight it for fifth or six place with Firefox and Ubuntu OS.

The other big problem is that regardless of the reasons, it failed in the market - the market doesn't actually care why, just that it failed - it's not an OS with potential, it is a failed OS with no support and that makes a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Slate 7 Tablet | HP« Official Site

Nice find. I need a 7" tablet and hp will make it. But I don't think I will spend money for hp anymore. Except that 7" is webOS tablet (again....another dream)
    Rnp likes this.
    @k4ever: Don't forget about Ubuntu. Ubuntu for smartphone and tablet looks really awesome. I want to install and try it on any devices I have if it is possible.
    Slate 7 Tablet | HP├‚┬« Official Site

Yes, just more proof of HP's continued decline. How do they expect to competed with Samsung? HP doesn't even have that much credibility in the market anymore. Also, how does this help them from a business standpoint? HP is still at its core a hardware company. The margins on Android devices are extremely thin. The Nexus 7 sells for at cost (on the hardware), the Kindle Fire sells for a lost (on the hardware). We know that the Android OS will net them nothing in terms of profit. Where does HP make a profit on this? How do they distinguish themselves in the Android market enough to be relevant?

13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Oh it will not - HP is just desperately scrambling to be relevant but they are largely directionless - I would guess we will have a good decade of decline before the company is broken up or gets out of consumers markets.
    @k4ever: Don't forget about Ubuntu. Ubuntu for smartphone and tablet looks really awesome. I want to install and try it on any devices I have if it is possible.
    I did not mention them because their tablet OS is just a proof of concept so far for developers. Most of the stuff on it doesn't even work. I am eager to see it on the TouchPad when it becomes more complete. I already tried out Ubuntu ARM native and chroot on my TouchPad.

Yes, just more proof of HP's continued decline. How do they expect to competed with Samsung? HP doesn't even have that much credibility in the market anymore. Also, how does this help them from a business standpoint? The margins on Android devices are extremely thin. The Nexus 7 sells for at cost (on the hardware), the Kindle Fire sells for a lost (on the hardware). We know that the Android OS will net them nothing in terms of profit. Where does HP make a profit on this? How do they distinguish themselves in the Android market enough to be relevant?

I agreed with you in this one. But how to make hp and many other big and small companies to realize their mistakes? Or maybe they didn't do any mistakes? Android market is huge. Thin profit can be a big profit if many many people buy their products. If we webOS community have power to "educate" company to differ themself by using webOS then please do. At least that the last and possible action that will revive webOS. But... Is it even possible?
    I did not mention them because their tablet OS is just a proof of concept so far for developers. Most of the stuff on it doesn't even work. I am eager to see it on the TouchPad when it becomes more complete. I already tried out Ubuntu ARM native and chroot on my TouchPad.

But they announced and commited to make it ported to nexus devices while hp not do that with webOS. So even Ubuntu still in development, their potential maybe better compared to webOS due to company commitment.

Edit: or maybe Firefox OS is better option to differ from Android. Firefox devices will soon available on market.
    Last edited by The Bard; 02/24/2013 at 12:18 PM.
    WebOS doesn't actually exist in the market. The rest is just wishful thinking, you think HP has just outlined a strategy based around android for the consumer and W8 for business because it is intended to do something with WebOS?

Even if someone else decided to take a punt, you are effectively asking them to spend hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars on the hope that they can [I]maybe fight it for fifth or six place with Firefox and Ubuntu OS.

The other big problem is that regardless of the reasons, it failed in the market - the market doesn't actually care why, just that it failed - it's not an OS with potential, it is a failed OS with no support and that makes a big difference.
    Firefox OS? I don't see them going anywhere (and yes I am a big, big Firefox browser user). Ubuntu is interesting but too soon to tell. I use Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative) on my desktop so I am definitely rooting for them.

The real fight is not for fourth or fifth place. It is for third place. Microsoft's offerings are too weak. Folks just aren't into Windows 8. Microsoft is throwing a lot of money at it, but not making a big enough dent to justify the expense. Plus Microsoft has made the user experience on Windows 8 less then stellar. I use it on my wife's touchscreen laptop/tablet convertible and it is just too exhausting. There are a lot of issues. It is definitely not ready for prime time by any standards. You get more out of using Android or even Chrome OS on an older device than Windows 8 on a newer one. Until Microsoft gets its act together, Windows 8 is the player that is easiest to beat. Notice how HP is no longer putting all of their eggs into the Windows 8 basket. I guess that demo of Windows 8 that supposedly caused HP to rethink webOS was a lot of smoke and mirrors.

You talk about the millions/billions needed to invest in webOS. What about the billions wasted in shelving webOS, the billions wasted in pursuing Windows 8, and the potential millions/billions needed to make a dent in the Android market? Does that money somehow not count? The future for HP with either of those OSes is bleaker than the one webOS, IMO. Does HP just want/need Microsoft or Google to hold their hand and say nice things to them as they slip off into the computing afterlife?

Well as we all know, hp never like Apple and never will be. They just don't want to step up and take the lead, even they have power to do that. They just a follower instead a leader, and even I don't know hp internal company, I bet it is their company culture. No Guts! That's why hp never have a "beautiful glory".
    k4ever likes this.
    But they announced and commited to make it ported to nexus devices while hp not do that with webOS. So even Ubuntu still in development, their potential maybe better compared to webOS due to company commitment.

Edit: or maybe Firefox OS is better option to differ from Android. Firefox devices will soon available on market.
    HP announced open webOS, GRAM, and there is an open webOS port for the Nexus 7 now that is just as useful as the Ubuntu tablet port for it.

smart.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast