webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > The New WebOS philosophy.
The New WebOS philosophy.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Ventus221
  • 1 Post By steven_farkas
  • 1 Post By gihmley

Old 02/18/2013, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm writing this so that maybe we can understand what makes this platform unique. This philosophy should be for people who understand the nature of our platforms future. We are a dead platform, the last real opening we have that may take years to reach the level of other Linux distors as far as open source operating systems. But we have never been about applications and as far as we all should be concerned its not what should important about operating systems, it should be stated that for a casual user we have enough applications on our phones and on the Touch Pad for them to be useful as daily drivers. The I portent thing is what the O.S can do on its own if you remove the app catalogue what you are left with is a device that can still do anything any other device can do and ultimately let us be reminded and remember for as long as we stay on this site for useful and practical tips, that your Pre 2 or Veer can do everything you need it to do, to function as a daily driver. So when you lament over something you may see as something as a hindrance, remember that you can we so don't need this or that in order to remain special and that just now platforms are catching up accessory wise (Touchstone). Feel empowered to be a WebOS user and don't ever cry that weather this be a hobby or your platform of choice with differences to other platforms. Be empowered by this knowledge and make WebOS your own.
Old 02/18/2013, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well said, and whilst I hold out some hope that there may be some sort of resurgence in future I keep expectations low.
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 02/18/2013, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, there's only one problem with that; all hardware eventually dies. Pre 2s, 3s, and Veers will likely have a couple of years of workable life left to them, as long as batteries are still available. But eventually, they'll all croak. All hardware has a limited life.

Apps aside, we MUST have hardware to run WebOS on or it's future is as bright as the Apple Newton. Ubuntu is releasing Ubuntu Phone this week (developer's edition) that you can install on a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. We need to be able to do the same things... and NOW, not two freakin' years from now.

Ubuntu Phone is looking pretty tempting, and you can get a Galaxy Nexus off Ebay for a C-note. We MUST be able to do the same thing with WebOS or we might as well shoot it and put it.. and us... out of its misery.

Just my 2c...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 02/18/2013, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not all WebOS user think alike.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I hope to be able to continue using webOS for a long time, because when I do end up pulling the trigger on my Verizon upgrade and get a modern phone, I worry that all my time will be spent figuring out how to "webOS-ify" it... be it an iPhone or Android or Windows Phone. A goal that I will no doubt fall short of achieving.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
Ubuntu Phone is looking pretty tempting, and you can get a Galaxy Nexus off Ebay for a C-note.
Where have you seen a G-nex for $100? I don't see anything actually selling for less than $200, even used.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I wrote this with the point in mind that we have a unique identity and that it is something that we should all come to internalize this mindset, but I understand some do not agree.
Old 02/20/2013, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
The I portent thing is what the O.S can do on its own if you remove the app catalogue what you are left with is a device that can still do anything any other device can do and ultimately let us be reminded and remember for as long as we stay on this site for useful and practical tips, that your Pre 2 or Veer can do everything you need it to do, to function as a daily driver.
I think it's all nice and wonderful written post(thumbs up for emotional uplifting speech), however just to correct a few things despite liking my WebOS Pre 2 device.....There's things that we cant deny that our devices are slowing showing their age when it comes to the operating system along with the WebOS browser among other software improvements that will never come.

If the WebOS Team(will be more serious) that could give a new software update with Isis Engine browser for my old Pre 2 device, along with other improvements to Synergy and I will be a happy camper

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 02/20/2013 at 12:33 AM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Every time I use another phone or watch a video of what's coming I like my pre2 better.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0