webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Influence Meg Whitman and HP
Influence Meg Whitman and HP
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/13/2013, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

I ask that the webOS community members to voice there opinion at HP via email
Only through effort can there be change. So take a few moments and help us all out.

Dear HP and Meg Whitman

I ask that if the company chooses to produce Android based hardware, that HP at least gives us (the webOS community) the ability to order the produce running openwebOS and/or webOS.

Thank You

Matthew Mers and webOS community

That is what I emailed, fell free to steal my words or change them.
and here is the Link for emailing HP:
HP Executive Team: CEO email

UPDATE: There is now a petition for LG to make a device: https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

Last edited by mattmers; 03/04/2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Title change and update
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, ewl88, kayphoonstar and 1 others like this.
Old 02/13/2013, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

its only a shame they dont give a ****
Old 02/13/2013, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why would you want a phone with WebOS on it? It isnt supported or been updated in over a year.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Why would you want a phone with WebOS on it? It isnt supported or been updated in over a year.

why does the phone somehow stop functioning or lose its ability to make/recieve phonecalls because its not had any updates?
Old 02/13/2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

You mean someone on a webOS enthusiast site wants a phone with webOS on it? How could that be?

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, ananimus, cujoq37 and 2 others like this.
Old 02/13/2013, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

i just dug out an old Samsung E330 phone i had lying in adrawer somewhere, it still works and hasnt had an update in a LOOOOONG time, funny how a phone still works as a phone, the only bad thing is the java based apps on it are rather crap on an epic scale.

/me starts playing monopoly on his ancient e330.
Old 02/13/2013, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Talking about old hardware, I would take some out and play with them once in a while, if I had any. The only Palm thing I have that's old is an m105, with the screwed up digitizer and leaking backup capacitor. If I could get those two things fixed I'd have fun with it. If I have a copy of the SDK I would totally write something for it.

That said, I do take old software out regularly and poke at them.

I wonder if those emails actually goes to Meg, and if she even bothers to read them.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors likes this.
Old 02/13/2013, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I wonder if those emails actually goes to Meg, and if she even bothers to read them.
or at least 1 of a few people that vet them for her before sending to her real internal email.
Old 02/13/2013, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

So I guess I'm the only one to have sent an email lol.
Old 02/13/2013, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I asked about a possible developer edition of a webos device, I told her we would pay a premium for that
Old 02/13/2013, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
I asked about a possible developer edition of a webos device, I told her we would pay a premium for that
I don't know about a premium. When I think of premium, I think of software support and update which we won't get.
Old 02/14/2013, 01:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

hey something is something
Old 02/14/2013, 02:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

well at least it's a try.....not sure how 'fantastic' the hardware would be, whether it will be have the WOW design....etc, battery life etc..but HP putting out an Android device = a quick death without any differentiation factor.

maybe to save costs... HP might just re-release the HP Touchpad GO lol...with updated CPU screen and graphics and also release their so called keyboardless mobile device (which was suppose to be one of the slate palm OS releases)....that would be a face palm..

Last edited by daexpression; 02/14/2013 at 04:05 AM.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/14/2013, 05:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

And still has the best interface. It was so far ahead in several areas that the others have still not caught up.

The apps I use still work.
I can read my RSS feeds, use Google Maps (thanks to an app that as developed *after* the platform got killed and is better than the commercial predecessors), browse web sites (though the browser will need an update sooner or later to catch up with evolving standards).

Most other phones still don't have the nice wireless charging (though Nexus 4 just got it).

Apple hardly tries. Took them ages to improve on their awful modal notifications and still has horrible pseudo-multi-tasking. They do have great marketing - but still they gradually loose to Android.

Android. It's OK-ish. They are improving better than IOS and have always been more flexible and open. The UI is still not as good as webos. Besides my Pre3 I use a Nexus 7 a lot. So I have a daily comparison. I miss webos features every time I use the N7 - even half a year after I bought it.

WP7/8 - don't get me started. After bilions thrown at it from MS it still manages a market share that only beats webos. That's not a very impressive achievement. And it's killing Nokia fast (the dominant phone manufacturer of only a few years ago).

Oh - and webos is getting updates via Preware. The new Google Maps is the best Map application webos has ever had and is competitive (apart from turn-by-turn) navigation to what is available on other platforms.
When my niece started using Whatsap I found (to my surprise) that somebody just had released a usable app for webos. Again - long after the platform got killed.
I'm not saying that the app situation overall is great for webos – far from it. But depending on individual needs it' still has enough to cover most or all. It does for me so far.

Last edited by tholap; 02/14/2013 at 05:41 AM.
tholap is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ArchonAdvisors
Old 02/14/2013, 07:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
You mean someone on a webOS enthusiast site wants a phone with webOS on it? How could that be?
Ok, my bad. HP just spent a year developing OpenWebOS and people want the old unsupported WebOS on new phones. Should sell nicely. Send in the emails

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, my bad. HP just spent a year developing OpenWebOS and people want the old unsupported WebOS on new phones. Should sell nicely. Send in the emails
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
they didnt "develop" open webOS, all they did was strip out all the proprietary code and replace for free alternatives, thats not developing it imho.

EDIT: granted thats no simple task but still nothign was added/enhanced/bettered.
Old 02/14/2013, 01:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We could hold a webOS shindig and help out coding of OWO.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
they didnt "develop" open webOS, all they did was strip out all the proprietary code and replace for free alternatives, thats not developing it imho.

EDIT: granted thats no simple task but still nothign was added/enhanced/bettered.
Not completely true, a lot of things have been standardized to be non specific anymore (Enyo, WebKit, phone bits etc). Kernel had a major upgrade too. It has been a lot of work and it's far from complete, but software version wise it's MILES ahead of Android still!

Last edited by Herrie; 02/14/2013 at 02:38 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/14/2013, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Message sent to Meg

I have to admit my Pre 3 is the only phone I have used in the past couple of years that also makes me smile

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, kayphoonstar, Vistaus and 2 others like this.
Old 02/14/2013, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
Message sent to Meg

I have to admit my Pre 3 is the only phone I have used in the past couple of years that also makes me smile

Barry
+1 & +1
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0