webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Influence Meg Whitman and HP
Influence Meg Whitman and HP
Like Tree28Likes

Old 02/19/2013, 12:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Maybe you should look in at the Pixi forum. Despite it's age, there are many loyal Pixi users. Pixis can still be purchased and they are getting bought. It still draws new users into webOS on a regular basis.

The full QWERTY candy bar is a form factor that many prefer. Ask the BlackBerry crowd.

As you are finding out that's not true. I'm another loyal Veer user. It outperforms my Pre 2 in so many areas I prefer it for my daily driver. It's the little phone that can (and does).
A few token people in an Internet forum does not a market make. Come on, now. Be realistic.

Most people using BlackBerry devices used them because that's what their employer mandated for years, and some obviously got used to the platform enough to stick with it. And there were some that just wanted them regardless. But proclaiming it as some QWERTY keyboard wonder--especially today--contradicts the provable massive loss in market share to Android and iOS, which are both platforms that have largely abandoned--or have abandoned, as is the case of iOS--the physical keyboard.

With the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) movement in full effect in corporate America, very few of those people are coming back to BlackBerry when they have the option of using the platform of their own choosing. So, stop with using BlackBerry as any meaningful defense for a physical keyboard; it's just not what most people give a damn about anymore.

And as for the Veer, well, you saw how well the overall market felt about that. It didn't pick it up at all. Reviews were largely dismal because it was too small and had **** for app support. Study after study shows the market falls between 3.5" and 5.0" screens today. Those who want a miniature screen are a fraction of a percent of the market. I liked it when I got to play with a prototype back in Feb 2011 at the HP webOS shindig for developers in San Fran, but never for a moment did I think it was going to be a huge success.

Should the Pixi have been built? Sure, in 2009, when it was released. Today? No.

Should the Veer have been released? No. The sales numbers don't lie, and there's a reason why nobody else bothers with that fraction of a percent of people who'd care to buy something so small. (Not to mention almost zero interest amongst for developers in developing for such a small screen.)
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 01:03 AM   #42 (permalink)

Maybe we should write to Meg that she order open webOS team to rewrite graphic interface and discontinue use of secondary frame buffer so open webOS could be ported eventually with graphic acceleration to some device.
Old 02/19/2013, 01:59 AM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Maybe we should write to Meg that she order open webOS team to rewrite graphic interface and discontinue use of secondary frame buffer so open webOS could be ported eventually with graphic acceleration to some device.
I recall a discussion, I believe it was in webos-ports IRC channel and also the mailing list with regards to the secondary framebuffer. It seems that different bits are rendered differently (cards v.s. fullscreen). If I recall correctly this will be addressed automatically when the migration from QT 4.8.x to QT 5.x has been completed (should be anytime soon, seeing the number of commits referring to QT5 recently).
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 03:20 AM   #44 (permalink)

Hope you are right. Graphic driver situation has become pretty big obstacle to porting efforts.
Old 02/19/2013, 05:55 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rnp

So... who really want to try something, must send e-mails to convince all board, and not only to Meg...

Best Regards...
Old 02/19/2013, 10:45 AM   #46 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
A few token people in an Internet forum does not a market make. Come on, now. Be realistic.
Who said it was a market?

Do you look in the Pixi forum? My point is still valid. I regularly see posts from people who are new to webOS through purchasing a (new or used) Pixi. Users routinely post currently how they still love and use their Pixi. That's all I said. They are still for sale. Prove they are not or move on.

You're arguing fallaciously against something I neither stated or implied.

Quote:
Most people using BlackBerry devices used them because that's what their employer mandated for years, and some obviously got used to the platform enough to stick with it. And there were some that just wanted them regardless. But proclaiming it as some QWERTY keyboard wonder--especially today--contradicts the provable massive loss in market share to Android and iOS, which are both platforms that have largely abandoned--or have abandoned, as is the case of iOS--the physical keyboard.

With the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) movement in full effect in corporate America, very few of those people are coming back to BlackBerry when they have the option of using the platform of their own choosing. So, stop with using BlackBerry as any meaningful defense for a physical keyboard; it's just not what most people give a damn about anymore.
BlackBerry is just an example (perhaps the most famous) of the Form Factor. Pixi was the webOS carry over from Centro which was the last in a long line of QWERTY Candy Bar phones under Palm OS. Also Windows Mobile used the form and Nokia Symbian among others. The form factor is still manufactured new today by many companies... It gets sold regularly enough that OEMs are still using it.

You said Pixi is, "some QWERTY keyboard wonder..." YOU did not I. Keep your words out of my mouth.

You can't build a multi-paragraph diatribe based on your fevered imagining of some crazy dream you had that you and I discussed this at length when we did no such thing.

Well you can, but you are lying. The part that I don't care for is that you are lying in such a way as to put the lies in my mouth.

Keep your filthy lies in your own mouth. I don't sit still for that bully bullstuff. Not even on the internet where talk is cheap and everyone has a right cross like a thermonuclear device.

Quote:
And as for the Veer, well, you saw how well the overall market felt about that. It didn't pick it up at all. Reviews were largely dismal because it was too small and had **** for app support. Study after study shows the market falls between 3.5" and 5.0" screens today. Those who want a miniature screen are a fraction of a percent of the market. I liked it when I got to play with a prototype back in Feb 2011 at the HP webOS shindig for developers in San Fran, but never for a moment did I think it was going to be a huge success.
Fine. Veer is not for you. Every user should just throw theirs away. We get it. dignitary disapproves of the Veer and that is the final word.

Quote:
Should the Pixi have been built? Sure, in 2009, when it was released. Today? No.

Should the Veer have been released? No. The sales numbers don't lie, and there's a reason why nobody else bothers with that fraction of a percent of people who'd care to buy something so small. (Not to mention almost zero interest amongst for developers in developing for such a small screen.)
See previous point...

Last edited by RumoredNow; 02/19/2013 at 11:45 AM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 09:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Who said it was a market?

Do you look in the Pixi forum? My point is still valid. I regularly see posts from people who are new to webOS through purchasing a (new or used) Pixi. Users routinely post currently how they still love and use their Pixi. That's all I said. They are still for sale. Prove they are not or move on.

You're arguing fallaciously against something I neither stated or implied.

BlackBerry is just an example (perhaps the most famous) of the Form Factor. Pixi was the webOS carry over from Centro which was the last in a long line of QWERTY Candy Bar phones under Palm OS. Also Windows Mobile used the form and Nokia Symbian among others. The form factor is still manufactured new today by many companies... It gets sold regularly enough that OEMs are still using it.

You said Pixi is, "some QWERTY keyboard wonder..." YOU did not I. Keep your words out of my mouth.

You can't build a multi-paragraph diatribe based on your fevered imagining of some crazy dream you had that you and I discussed this at length when we did no such thing.

Well you can, but you are lying. The part that I don't care for is that you are lying in such a way as to put the lies in my mouth.

Keep your filthy lies in your own mouth. I don't sit still for that bully bullstuff. Not even on the internet where talk is cheap and everyone has a right cross like a thermonuclear device.

Fine. Veer is not for you. Every user should just throw theirs away. We get it. dignitary disapproves of the Veer and that is the final word.

See previous point...
Wow, you sure as hell took this a bit personally. My thoughts are my thoughts on the subject, and in no way am I putting words in your mouth or, and I'll quote: "build a multi-paragraph diatribe based on your fevered imagining of some crazy dream you had that you and I discussed this at length when we did no such thing."

Say...what? really? I'm simply providing a counterpoint, whether you like it or not.

Nor did I tell everyone to throw away their Veers. Really, now? If you like it, you like it. The market didn't like it. It's a fact.

Grow up. It's a discussion, not a slapfight. Not everyone shares your viewpoint, nor do they stoop to calling people out personally with such accusations and language in their replies like you just did. The only reason I'm even bothering to call your response out in my reply is to highlight the tenor of your post and your unfair characterization of the points I was trying to get across. Accusing me of doing whatever the hell you meant by your crazy response is in no way representative of my intentions.

If you think I took something out of context, you could have provided a much more mature response than what I've quoted above and continued the discussion in a more meaningful and constructive way than how you handled it.

This isn't worth continuing. Over and out.

Last edited by dignitary; 02/20/2013 at 09:37 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 01:58 AM   #48 (permalink)

Well this all got heated fast :/
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 12:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
Rnp

Haters are so boring...

Best Regards...
Old 02/21/2013, 12:18 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Haters are so boring...

Best Regards...
Do you mean realists?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 12:37 PM   #51 (permalink)

There are still a few around here that like to play Debbie Downer on everyone.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 01:00 PM   #52 (permalink)

It's like that Jeep saying.

It's a webOS thing... you wouldn't understand.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 01:35 PM   #53 (permalink)

Debbie Downer? I am a daily WebOS user. If people here just want to hype themselves into non reality, good luck with that.
Old 02/21/2013, 01:43 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Do you mean realists?
No... Im saying "hatealists are so boring"...

"Rnp Wins - IPon!"

Best Regards...
Old 02/25/2013, 10:09 AM   #55 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I've been looking at online petitions - thinking it wasn't urgent as webOS support should be straight forward for HP - either they'd choose to do it or not.

In the light of the LG purchase bombshell, I wonder if there's any point. You don't commit to webOS by selling it. As they have history with webOS, it's always worth a shot I suppose, but I think they just declared themselves out of the game.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 02/26/2013, 02:02 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
... You don't commit to webOS by selling it...
QFT, or as some write it: ^^This
Old 03/01/2013, 07:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hold on!

It now seems that they only licensed it! And are retaining the back end services.

The story now seems more positive!

HP haven't entirely dumped it and LG were interested in buying - even if it's only TV's at the moment.

Anyhow, someone started a petition for LG. 30secs to sign it...

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

Does anyone think a "please let us put webOS on your new devices" petition might have some traction at HP?
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2013, 07:29 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

Does anyone think a "please let us put webOS on your new devices" petition might have some traction at HP?
No.
Old 03/01/2013, 11:18 PM   #59 (permalink)

Dudes... seriously, look at the bigger picture here. Even IF you can scrounge up 20,000 signatures for any petition, 20,000 people is a drop in the bucket in the mobile device market. A company is not going to devote millions of dollars of investment and production capital into building enough devices to satisfy a small group of folks who are dedicated to a particular device or OS, no matter what it is.

Will LG eventually release a WebOS phone? We'll just have to wait and see. In all honestly - I wouldn't count on it. But for the time being, WebOS Internals is our only resource for keeping our aging WebOS devices up and running. As long as they'll last, and when they're gone... we'll either have a new WebOS device available, or we won't. And we'll move on.

I mean, I loved my Amiga, too... But I use a PC now. Life goes on...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0