Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Sent the mail to Meg.
    Rnp likes this.
    Heh.
    That's funny.

Even when WebOS was up to date and a serious competitor with the backing of it's company, HP didn't generate the revenue, they wanted (neither did Palm for that matter). The errors were marketing wise, but that is not important anymore.

Ok, let me imagine, I am the CEO of a big company, that I dissed an OS a few years ago. So now a handful of people send me a letter and ask me to produce hardware for that OS again, I just need to look on the charts again and see: "uuups, that wasn't exactly a runner on the market. Not even a sprinter". I will see costs to revenue and will think: "no can do, guys".
    HP even invested a sum into kicking the OS out into the community, like a rabid dog and kicking out the GBU into an orphaned company as well in the process.

Now imagine you are the CEO of another company (like HTC). You have seen Palm and HP crashland with the OS. You have seen HP kick it out. You have seen HP taking on Windows8 and Android and realize, they trust "foreign" products more than their own OS.
    Would you invest money into such an OS? What would be the motivation for that? The handful of people still sticking to it?

Honestly, guys. Wake up. Hope is good, but in that quantity it's becoming desperate and you are hurting yourselves.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I think the ball is in the court of both Gram and Phoenix International Communications, and they are our best hope.

I believe they are working hard behind the scenes to make a success of Open WebOS.

In my opinion perhaps their best chance of persuading a manufacturer to make smartphones and tablets for Open webOS, is where these devices dual boot with say Android and Open webOS - basically a piggy-back approach.

This way consumers will naturally be interested in the devices because it has Android but then they will be introduced to the amazing user interface of webOS and then hopefully prefer it.

I cannot see any other way for WebOS to get a "foot in the door" in the smartphone and tablet market, dominated by Android and iPhone.

I am guessing this may happen early 2014 by which time my 2 year Pre 3 and Touchpad contract comes for renewal.

I have happily used a phone for more than 2 or 3 years, without replacing, so am more than happy to be patient and wait until 2014.

Why renew a smartphone every year when the improvements are only marginal and the expense is significant.

Patience is a virtue.
    No one company can dominate for ever. Look at IBM, Microsoft, Kodak etc etc.

The same will eventually happen to Apple, Google, even Samsung one day. I'm sure China will have some amazing manufacturers in 5 or 10 years time.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Dear HP, and Meg Whitman

Nothing that is worth value is ever easy...(Look at Steave Jobs and Apple Computers).
    I ask that if the company chooses to produce Android based hardware, that HP at least gives us (the webOS community) the ability to order the product running openwebOS (other OEMs are just recently starting to reach where webOS was in 2009-2010) the UI is still simple and perfect multitasking. Please do not let $1.2billion go to waste (HP didn't have Meg at the helm when webOS had a chance). The only reason "iOS", and "Android" are up so high is beacause no one is challenging them.
    All I ask is that HP prove to the world that you all are still inovative, and at the peek of new tech.. get hiring developers, and start work to create one "super phone" and start this race! (even is webOS dosent become #1 you can take $$$ from the others, and even the playing field).
    Please do not become just another OEM (Samsung; HTC; LG; Ect;..) Be you!

Thank You

-Henry G. and the webOS community
    mattmers, MartinH@webos and Rnp like this.
    My wordy, unnecessary message to Mega-meg:

I want more webOS!

Hi Meg, I felt compelled to send this message after reading the news about HP's tablet and eventual smartphone plans to use Android. I'm just another die hard user of webOS looking for something, anything, to give us a chance of seeing open webOS on a new device. My one and only phone is a Pre3 found on eBay, and my Touchpad still gets used everyday. If you do stick with Android (good luck, I hear Samsung is doing pretty well in that area), please leave the back door open for the webOS Ports teams and webOS Internals who you've supported in the past with servers and access to resources. Let these new devices sell with Android, but let them be a trojan horse for open webOS to spring up through the cracks and into the hearts/minds of users once again. We don't want to see HP become just another also-ran Android peddler.

Windows Phone and Blackberry 10 aren't exactly setting the world on fire. I think there's still room for a good "third option" in the mobile phone space. Isn't too hard to remember the days when Treos were the coolest phones you could get. People want to be different. Make the computer (and mobile device) personal again. With webOS. Thanks!

Steve K
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    mattmers and sledge007 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    i actually like what you wrote there tbh, nice true honest info, a nice dig at HP regarding samsung in a nice/friendly/funny tone rather than a nasty dig, but generally yeah nice email, couldnt agree more.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Thanks that's what I was going for - who knows if these will ever be read, but if they are read I didn't want the tone to come across as telling them what they should do. That, and I truly do believe there's room for a solid third option.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  8.    #28  
    I am really happy with everyone participating and taking take a few minutes to email Meg. The Emails sound great and I hope that who ever is in charge of them forwards then to her. If anyone gets a reply (other then auto reply) back from HP/Meg please post it back here.

THANK YOU ALL
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I am really happy with everyone participating and taking take a few minutes to email Meg. The Emails sound great and I hope that who ever is in charge of them forwards then to her. If anyone gets a reply (other then auto reply) back from HP/Meg please post it back here.

THANK YOU ALL
    Hi,

I was wondering if a petition would be better - easy for everyone to sign up and would give an idea of how may users would be interested.

It would just be a simple statement of what's been generally said here already:

1. We understand that Android may be the safe commercial bet, but if HP has faith in innovation and it's own products, then will they please consider making it possible for future mobile phones and tablets to run openwebos by:

A. Making the hardware available to webOS-ports & Gram so they can write drivers (or whatever other interfaces will enable a port). i.e. the community is enabled to do the work.
    B. Supplying those drivers directly to webOS-ports & Gram. (HP does the work)
    C. Releasing the hardware with webOS as an option - selectable on device or downloadable. (HP offers the whole package)

I suppose we could ask for open drivers or even hardware, but I doubt that would happen.

Does anyone agree with the list and the approach - a petition? I think there are online petition sites.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/16/2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Adding the question mark to the question.
    mattmers likes this.
    petitions a great idea but who knows, could backfire if theres too few names in the end, i like the idea of them at least letting the ports teams get access to whatever drivers they require to let them take open webOS where HP themselves cant. (when i say HP i dont mean gram ofc)
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11.    #31  
    I like the idea for a petition and I personally don't care which root we go with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post

THANK YOU ALL
    Forgive me for sounding harsh/mean, but this effort of emailing some junk pile mail box isn't much of an effort for a dumb blonde CEO like Mrs. Whitman who still until today don't which direction take to a company that is sinking faster than Titanic in 1912. I will rather have more faith in Home Brew community than sending a mail which will get thrown away like junk/spam to HP. As HP is concerned, they are irrelevant news to me and hope they crash and burn to the point of no longer existing as a brand name.

In my opinion, I will forget sending an email to an obtuse person like Mrs. Whitman(another Leo Apokither on the rise) and company that is just plain stupid like HP. I'm just hoping that the team at Open WebOS separate soon and cut their ties entirety with HP incompetent fools, before the WebOS operating disappears from existence like the dinosaurs.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Among other actions, the decision under the tenure of Léo Apotheker to discontinue development of webOS devices caused severe reputational damage to the OS and greater damage to HP itself as evidenced by the large drop in the share price. The major problem was probably the plan to spin out or sell the PC division at a time when it was one of the largest companies in the sector.

However, the company killing a product line within a month of releasing a fresh set of models and the damage it also did to relations with carriers means that HP has a long road to success in this area. For webOS to find any place in the consumer space it will also have to take a long journey as it has not been developed like it's competitors in the last 18 months or so. Those competitiors are gradually addresssing their faults and catching up with the advances of webOS.

webOS would be entirely dead now had it not been open sourced by Meg Whitman. Legacy webOs can be patched, customised and somewhat improved by the Homebrew community, but will not appear on any new devices - at least not without a lot of work. OpenwebOS is not ready for new devices. The homebrew community does an amazing job, but lack the resources and time to develop and market the OS - nevermind any hardware!

Homebrew are the army medics keeping the injured soldier from death, but a full recovery will either take many precarious years or a large hospital. Currently, the only hospital likely to accept the patient is HP.

Legacy webOS is a zombie, OpenwebOS isn't ready, Everybody knows HP messed up their mobile strategy. The logical route back in is with an OS that the majority is familiar with and that's Android. The more recent OS's could be the next big thing, but currently have zero user base (except BB10). Android is the safest bet, but also potentially dangerous: depending on the HW spec and price point, HP could make money with an android handset or tablet, but could equally well be trampled in the rush of competitors. The mobile space is THE big thing right now and HP have realised that to remain relevant, they have to be in it.

The best hope, is that webOS gets to go along for the ride - that there remains modern hardware on to which it can at least be ported. That may allow the slow build that will be needed for development and popularity to grow. If this happens, it could ultimately pay off very big for HP - that was why they bought Palm in the first place.

Unless there is a surprise player from left field, HP is the only company with the muscle to bring back webOS and the one who could most benefit from doing so. Again, without significant support, webOS will die or spend years in the wilderness. It would be dead already without Meg Whitman's decision and we'd all just be waiting for contracts to expire or phones to break before having to move on.

I don't think characterising Ms Whitman as a "dumb blonde" is fair or helpful. I do think asking HP do leave the door open for webOS is useful. A hardware driver for one linux based OS must be very similar to a driver for another one and the effort and risk verses the potential reward is a sell we can hope to make. Especially, if all current and past webOS fans put their names to it - we might just make a small but significant minority. They might even end up offering it as an option at purchase.

Although I agree the the current situation is partly due to HP, that is the reality and very few would take the risk that it will be third time lucky for webOS.

Well, I'm off to google "online petitions" maybe it will make a difference...
    Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Heh.
    That's funny.

Even when WebOS was up to date and a serious competitor with the backing of it's company, HP didn't generate the revenue, they wanted (neither did Palm for that matter). The errors were marketing wise, but that is not important anymore.

Ok, let me imagine, I am the CEO of a big company, that I dissed an OS a few years ago. So now a handful of people send me a letter and ask me to produce hardware for that OS again, I just need to look on the charts again and see: "uuups, that wasn't exactly a runner on the market. Not even a sprinter". I will see costs to revenue and will think: "no can do, guys".
    HP even invested a sum into kicking the OS out into the community, like a rabid dog and kicking out the GBU into an orphaned company as well in the process.

Now imagine you are the CEO of another company (like HTC). You have seen Palm and HP crashland with the OS. You have seen HP kick it out. You have seen HP taking on Windows8 and Android and realize, they trust "foreign" products more than their own OS.
    Would you invest money into such an OS? What would be the motivation for that? The handful of people still sticking to it?

Honestly, guys. Wake up. Hope is good, but in that quantity it's becoming desperate and you are hurting yourselves.
    Verizon is a large reason for webOS and Palm failing. VZ had ordered $50 worth of product (Pre) and a few weeks before delivery VZ told Palm to get ****ed and instead decided to focus on Android devices.

So there's Palm sitting on $50 million in inventory that only work on CDMA networks, they have to go with Sprint. Well Sprint had Palm by the balls and required a 1 year exclusivity deal. So Palm languished on Sprint.

Of course there are still the other bad ideas that sunk Palm. The Pixi is a phone that should never have been. The Pre2 should've been available to everyone. HP should've never made the Veer. Who wants a small smart phone screen? No one.

The Pre(2/3) and some kind of slab like the iPhone needed to be the only Palm phones made. Just focus on those and make them good.

I guess I'm trying to make the point that the issue wasn't with webOS but with circumstances that hindered Palm and poor decisions. Our best hope now is with the Phoenix foundation.
    Verizon is a large reason for webOS and Palm failing. VZ had ordered $50 worth of product (Pre) and a few weeks before delivery VZ told Palm to get ****ed and instead decided to focus on Android devices.

So there's Palm sitting on $50 million in inventory that only work on CDMA networks, they have to go with Sprint. Well Sprint had Palm by the balls and required a 1 year exclusivity deal. So Palm languished on Sprint.

Of course there are still the other bad ideas that sunk Palm. The Pixi is a phone that should never have been. The Pre2 should've been available to everyone. HP should've never made the Veer. Who wants a small smart phone screen? No one.

The Pre(2/3) and some kind of slab like the iPhone needed to be the only Palm phones made. Just focus on those and make them good.

I guess I'm trying to make the point that the issue wasn't with webOS but with circumstances that hindered Palm and poor decisions. Our best hope now is with the Phoenix foundation.
    There are many Veer owners including myself that love the Veer form factor. Not everyone wants/needs a 4-5 inch phone. Is the Veer ideal for lots of web browsing? NO, but for occasional browsing it will do fine. And everything else it does pretty fine too, apps work great on it too. It's been my daily driver for 18 months now and wouldn't want to miss it!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 02/18/2013 at 09:10 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    If there's a mutually beneficial point to be struck, you may have hit it there actually. Namely the idea of HP just keeping the door open a crack for webOS as they try to develop Android hardware. If they're kind enough to keep webOS in mind during that process by keeping the Open webOS folks in the loop and providing them access to build drivers, etc, that would be wonderful. Heck, seeing a company decide to actually maintain an all open source set of hardware might be an interesting upset in the market.

Now that I've said that out loud it sounds less likely they'd do it. But it's still a compelling thought.

As for all the rest of this... yeah, we know the score folks. Keep calm and all that.
    HP should've never made the Veer. Who wants a small smart phone screen? No one.
    Give me 200 HP white Veers with portuguese (BR) interface, and I gonna sell in three days.

My daughter with his 4 years picks up my Pre 3 and my white Veer, so give me the Pre 3 and say: "-This is your phone, and this is my phone. The daddy´s phone and the Sophia´s phone".

All teens and women that I show falling in love them immediately, and more when I show Mojowhatsup & Facebook! The only problem is the language.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
    Who wants a small smart phone screen? No one.
    I do. My biggest complaint of modern phones is they are all too big. A phone is a MOBILE device. I don't carry a purse with me and expect a phone to easily slip in my pocket unnoticed.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your comments. Though the Sprint deal was before the VZW deal was in place. VZW didn't start selling the droid until Nov, 2009 (Pre went on sale in June with Sprint). Palm was supposed to be the flagship devices for VZW in 2010 but VZW decided to go with android instead after the success of the droid.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    I think the only chance for openwebos on a phone is if HP is successful with Android phones. Once their hardware gets a foothold in the market place they then can try other OSes.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    ...The Pixi is a phone that should never have been...
    Maybe you should look in at the Pixi forum. Despite it's age, there are many loyal Pixi users. Pixis can still be purchased and they are getting bought. It still draws new users into webOS on a regular basis.

The full QWERTY candy bar is a form factor that many prefer. Ask the BlackBerry crowd.

...HP should've never made the Veer. Who wants a small smart phone screen? No one...
    As you are finding out that's not true. I'm another loyal Veer user. It outperforms my Pre 2 in so many areas I prefer it for my daily driver. It's the little phone that can (and does).
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast