webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > 'HP is building Android tablets, and maybe a smartphone'
'HP is building Android tablets, and maybe a smartphone'
Like Tree8Likes

Old 02/13/2013, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't think I'd buy a HP Android device...

HP is building Android tablets, and maybe a smartphone | The Verge
Old 02/13/2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

HP To Adopt Android For Upcoming Mobile Devices – ReadWrite

...I seriously hope this turns out to be false.
SirThoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

saw that exact tablet picture elsewhere months ago, they rehashing the same gossip already?

its a pity its not something webOS can be stuffed into, as i have zero interest in anything HP create that cant run webOS in whatever form. Still weird that their so called "failed" tablet is still popular among many due to being able to host at least 3 different operating systems at once.

their "bog standard" android, meh, ill pass, backward move imho.
Old 02/13/2013, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yeah there will be better droidpowered devices then those of HP. On top if they cancel the support for those tablets as fast as they did for touchpad then those will never see any Android update.
Old 02/13/2013, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
I don't think I'd buy a HP Android device...

I certainly won't!

Sorry Meg, but Leo's stink runs long...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
eKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

'HP is building Android tablets, and maybe a smartphone'
Old 02/13/2013, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Yeah there will be better droidpowered devices then those of HP.
Agreed. I don't see how they can stand out in a world full of Google, Samsung, and HTC Android devices.
Old 02/13/2013, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Man....if this is not some depressing news
Old 02/13/2013, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe this is the trojan horse they will put out there to give the community a something to jam open webOS onto! If they could somehow tap into what worked when they firesaled the Touchpad and created interest in a product that had none, and somehow flip it on its head (put out a Touchpad 2 with vanilla Android and then people hack open webOS back onto it)... well that would just be amazing!

So my advice to HP: double down on open source and firesale the new device off the bat and hand over all the driver source to make the most hacker friendly device out there.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran and fxspec06 like this.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 02/13/2013, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I just bought a TouchPad running webOS
Old 02/13/2013, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

***** you HP, sure we'll soon see 'Bender' popping up again..... Maybe it'll have a bendable screen LOL ;-)

Not delivering on OWO commitments last couple of months was a sign for me personally. A Tweet about why no mentioning about earlier commitments in OWO release notes went unanswered too. I won't be surprised if they decide to stop OWO development completely anytime soon. No media components released as anounced, still no QT5/Webkit2 as anounced. All big tasks but no mentionings of them recently nor expected completion dates :'(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/13/2013, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

<threads merged>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Funny they had Android, went with webOS, killed it, released some Windows 8 business devices, then some hp pavilion Chromebook here is the kicker, the chrome book is $329.99 at Micro-Center (a retail store here in the USA), they have a Windows 8 laptop HP 2000-2b49WM for $279.99.

Now Windows 8 can run circles around a tablet or even a laptop that runs ChromeOS...

Why would anyone buy a HP Chromebook, now they want to produce an Android tablet, they will price it a $699. I bet and watch it not sell just like the Touchpad...

webOS is awesome, the OS is still better then any other, if someone would produce a card app that would run android apps but keep the webOS Touchpad just the way it is (upgrade it to Open webOS but keep the old App catalog and allow the Google market, or getJar, or even side load apps...) it would have been great... If they priced it right... ok stop my rant...

Why do people produce Tablets/Phablets/Phones that are $600. When a laptop can be had for $250 that can run circles around them...

Got a PC from my office (has the ability to have a 3G/LTE card modem, full voice and data) for under $300, now they pay a little more as they include a full 3YR fix it plan. But again why would anyone pay more then $100 for a tablet and $250 for a laptop?

I get the IPad/Mac sur-charge (I have a Mac I did not buy it, it was a gift), but they are nothing special would not spend $1000 for one either.

Lenovo has Tablets that run Android ICS, Windows8Pro, Windows8RT, full laptops, ultrabooks etc... they are not selling like hot cakes (HP just leap frogged as the number 1 laptop seller)...

Somebody explain? What is the HP's business plan to make money or fail? Seems they know how to kill things... (DEC, Compaq, Palm, EDS, etc..)
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 04:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

I don't know, I for some reason don't feel overly concerned that HP is building an Android tablet. It somehow seems "normal". At least they're not building a Windows tablet, which would be a dead end for getting webOS on. Android it self is open source, and sooner or later they'll have to release the source. Sure, maybe not all hardware drivers are there, but at least there's something we can work on. Recall the kernel source for webOS is based partly on Android (at least that's what it looks like with the patch for 3.0.5).

OTOH, if they decided to make a new Android phone, I would laugh at them, as their is practically no chance it'll sell if they handle it the same way as the Pre 3, and with their track record it'll be hard to get leverage in an established market.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

HP honestly dont have a clue and from what i remember of an old article explaining their inner workings, it still sounds liek they have multiple seperate entities within HP doing their own thing rather than having 1 big plan among them all and sharign their scattered internal resources.

I forget the old atricle, it was posted in here somewhere quite a while ago but it did mention the whole "them vs us" attitude many of the internal HP divisions had instead of helping one another.

useless tbh.

they seem willing to just throw heaps of cash at something in the hope that they dont require any innovation or effort and somehow just expect the $$ roll in, which ofc isnt going to happen when their a 3rd rate company using the same tech as others who are leaps and bounds ahead of them and all of HP's talent has already moved on or they fired them like the idiots they are.

if anything tho its worth a laugh reading about the next dumb plan of action their moving with.
Old 02/13/2013, 04:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

And aside from Samsung, who exactly is making a mint selling Android smartphones? They will probably put Android in a Pixi body and when it doesn't sell, blame on the declining PC market. If they can't even sell their own OS/hardware combination, why expect better now. They would likely just sell some crap hoping to get the <corporate buzzwords coming> 'low hanging fruit' which isn't there anymore.

I so don't care, and would never, ever buy anything HP sells in the way of an Android anything. In fact, two laptops, six computers, two printers, and one phone since the 'Apotheker-lypse'...and I have not bought one consumer product from HP and do not foresee myself buying anything in the intermediate future. More than half of the Androids don't get timely OS updates as it is. Wonder what half an HP Android phone will be in?

Sell webOS to someone who will actually USE it (yeah, it will have to be at a steep loss, but life can be tough when you are stupid) and maybe I'll come back. Maybe.
Old 02/13/2013, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

no worries HP fails at every mobile device they have ever launched. Thats why when HP bought WebOS I knew Palm was in trouble and I would have to switch to Android in order to see something worthwhile. HP fails all the time, and they fail again and you can get a "firesale" tablet two months after releasing the tablet.
deltasig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 05:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

It's well known the new that HP is developing it's next tablet (and possibly a smartphone) using Android.
The question's left is: what will be of webOS?

Since it became an open source project we've been hearing of possible applications in internet kiosks, like in hotels or atms and several ports have been made of webOS on Android devices.

The risk is to become just another open source project for geeks, being found on hardware which will sell ridiculous amounts of units. Just when everyone else who's not Apple, Google and Microsoft is trying to build its future in mobile through the web apps and javascript and html5 i find a shame to see webOS lost in the history.

A hero is needed, some strong company who believe they can make a good use of webOS technology for their future products and willing to buy HP's ex Palm patents and to reorganize the developers who were working on it.
But who would do that?
Hardware makers who are possibly willing to differentiate their line of products from Android are getting plenty of choices: Firefox OS for mobile, Tizen, Ubuntu and Sailfish for basically everything, from mobile to tablets to TVs to car systems and more. Even BB10 might be sold through a license. And it's important not to forget that Android gives the chance to be forked and cleaned up from its Google related software the very same way Amazon have done.

So what? Who could really save webOS from the ashes in a stronger way than what Phoenix is trying to do?

Is there a chance that Nokia will soon realize that Windows Phone is not taking them anywhere and that they cannot build any future on Asha? Nokia could fire Elop and look around for a "new" platform to develop for. They are, in that case, probably not going back to MeeGo (if not by purchasing Jolla) and they will probably try the last card not to become another Android's vendor. Yes they might do so if Samsung goes Tizen but they would yet face a hard competition from Motorola, Sony, HTC and LG. Not to forget other growing Chinese OEMs.
They have the resources yet to build an all new line of products on another platform and that platform might be built up Open webOS. Doing some work on compatibility with html5 apps are going to power all new coming OSes (with or without Enyo.
Nokia has much services to appeal customers, from apps itself to Music, Maps and they could all be rewritten to run on webOS and webOS might be able to power Nokia high end devices as well as low end, sending to pension Asha and Series 40.
This is the most beautiful option i can come up with.

Another one might be a software house like Opera, who's switching to webkit and who might desire trying building their own offering in the likes of what Mozilla is doing with its Firefox OS.
Opera wants to power the browsing experience on desktop as well tablets, mobile phones and TVs and they could, through webOS, go forward by offering the all stack.

The last one, talking deeply in a dreaming mood, it would be that Nokia makes the switch and that they purchases Palm's patents and Opera Software putting their last hope to be relevant on webOS, html5 and webkit bringing on a table a full experience from software to browsing experience to finally (for webOS lovers) high quality hardware.

End of the dream.

Waking up: HP is moving to Android.
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 06:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

The only way, I could think of, in which HP could get a bit of credit from us, is that these new devices will be 'open' enough to put opensource webOS on it (or as dualboot together with Android). From a marketing point of view, it is probably not interesting enough to mention it, so they only state that it will be an Android.
That HP would come back on the mobile market, that was already in the works. That these devices would have webOS was highly improbable. So the best thing we can hope for would be that, with a easy bit of DIY, these devices can be 'upgraded' to webOS, which would be useless for 95% of its potential buyers. But we here are just those other 5%.
Trying to keep optimistic here ;-)...
Mr.Pleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Onanii likes this.
Old 02/14/2013, 07:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pleasant View Post
The only way, I could think of, in which HP could get a bit of credit from us, is that these new devices will be 'open' enough to put opensource webOS on it (or as dualboot together with Android). From a marketing point of view, it is probably not interesting enough to mention it, so they only state that it will be an Android.
That HP would come back on the mobile market, that was already in the works. That these devices would have webOS was highly improbable. So the best thing we can hope for would be that, with a easy bit of DIY, these devices can be 'upgraded' to webOS, which would be useless for 95% of its potential buyers. But we here are just those other 5%.
Trying to keep optimistic here ;-)...
Sure I think that's possible. HP needs to get their feet into mobile and android is cheapest route to market. I don't think HP is serious about mobile yet but need a facesaving cheap measure and message to give to HP stockholders. They will probably do what dell did- release a few generic devices which might sell to enterprise and other markets. Keeping the device open enough for openwebos would be achievable and a small differentiator. I don't think they would install with dualboot option since that would take up additional memory and be too confusing to the novice. So this news was inevitable. Question is if HP executes well enough and throws webos users a small bone. I only hope HP maintains its minor commitment to open webos and enyo. People will have a long memory if Hp pulls that plug.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0