webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Twitter: Reclaim #webOS
Twitter: Reclaim #webOS
Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By GMMan
  • 4 Post By kevets
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By kevets
  • 3 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By pattyland
  • 1 Post By Preemptive

Old 02/11/2013, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

If you use the #webOS hashtag to keep track of webOS news, you may have noticed that half of the items are in Spanish talking about body parts and a lot of repeated messages about a certain company's CMS software (with a somewhat dubious claim of "Windows for the web"). I think it'd be funny to parody the latter type. So post to Twitter your favorite webOS feature as a statement, in the following format:
Quote:
<favorite feature> @palm #webOS
Here are two I've made:
Quote:
The most developer friendly mobile OS, ever. @palm #webOS
Quote:
Found a bug? Need a feature? No need to wait for OTA. Ask the community or roll your own! @palm #webOS
So have fun with it. If this picks up I may make a Twitter account exclusively for retweeting these.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, kataran, BorkZorkOrc and 2 others like this.
Thanked by figgel, Remy X
Old 02/11/2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Figured we could run this thread in the discussion lounge instead of out in the OT wasteland.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm all for webOS-centric "raids" on various parts of the internet. Reclaim the #webOS hashtag, go on YouTube and vote down unappealing, inflammatory and inaccurate comments. Hell, i might even sign up on Twitter for the hashtag thing (...i don't have much of a web presence, never bothered)

There's a YT video of two Touchpads doing TTS, and one of the android fan-bois comes out to say that webOS is pathetic... i'm talking about downvoting that kind of stuff, and keeping a registry of it....

And then we should encourage those involved with openwebOS to use the #webOS hashtag... because Open and Legacy are still the same OS, just different versions...

Last edited by Remy X; 02/11/2013 at 03:20 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are like me, then your twitter client of choice has a search tag for #webos so you can keep an eye out for interesting things. Typically the tweets are webOS related, or they'll be something related to a spanish language word tagged with webos. Heck it might not even be Spanish, what do I know... But a couple months back some straight up spam posts claiming that they had the most powerful Content Management System on the Web.

And the name was Web OS...

Behold.

Web OS: Web Operating System | Web Site, Social Media & Business Management | Web Platform | Content Management

So my hobby lately has been flagging all of these tweets as spam when I flip through my #webos search tab. Not much more to add about this but it frustrates the heck out of me. Anyone else see these and shake their fist in the air?

They do have a support address at web_os@nyndesigns.com - maybe we can email them some questions about porting open webOS to galaxy nexus hardware?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webos.JPG (30.4 KB, 29 views) Email Attachment

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, kataran and 1 others like this.
Old 02/11/2013, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh **** I JUST made this thread in the Discussion Lounge.

http://forums.webosnation.com/genera...ystem-web.html

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Old 02/11/2013, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

You guys do realize that 'webos' in Spanish is slang for testicles, right?

Good luck reclaiming a word that was slang decades before webOS ever came to be. Just search 'webos' without the # and you'll get positively flooded by it.

It is what it is; even my offshore dev team in Argentina says it once in a while.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
So my hobby lately has been flagging all of these tweets as spam when I flip through my #webos search tab.
Flagging legit posts as 'spam' will get you banned if Twitter detects a pattern. There are bots out there who do the same thing and end up deep-sixed all the time.

Not a smart move, and certainly not an example of taking the high road when it comes to representing this community.
Thanked By: BorkZorkOrc
Old 02/11/2013, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Ok, well, I'll just put this here. https://twitter.com/search?q=webos%20lang%3Aes&src=typd

Urban Dictionary: Webos

Rest my case, and Seacrest out!
nice use of urban dictionary, i couldnt resist.

Urban Dictionary: Amiga

entrys 1-4 damned accurate.
Old 02/11/2013, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
You guys do realize that 'webos' in Spanish is slang for testicles, right?

Good luck reclaiming a word that was slang decades before webOS ever came to be. Just search 'webos' without the # and you'll get positively flooded by it.

It is what it is; even my offshore dev team in Argentina says it once in a while.
My original post was against the other annoying usage. I have no problem with the Spanish speaking population as long as they're not posting the exact same thing over and over again.

Quote:
Flagging legit posts as 'spam' will get you banned if Twitter detects a pattern. There are bots out there who do the same thing and end up deep-sixed all the time.

Not a smart move, and certainly not an example of taking the high road when it comes to representing this community.
They use quite a number of bots to tweet. Check out a few of their accounts. You'll notice they each have thousands of tweets about the same company. Apparently they seemed to have been doing this since some time last year, and only recently started spamming up #webOS. See: Geronimo89.dk Nyndesigns: social media done wrong

(They each post around 8.2 tweets a day, so they've been spamming for almost one and a half years.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/11/2013, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

GMMan, good find there on the Geronimo89 link. I retract my statement!
Thanked by kevets, Remy X
Old 02/12/2013, 01:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Why dont we all make webOS twitter accounts. Like mattmers_webOS? then it can be our second home lol. we can post more up to date info on our webos lives?
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 02:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Why dont we all make webOS twitter accounts. Like mattmers_webOS? then it can be our second home lol. we can post more up to date info on our webos lives?
That'd be a little... spammy.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 02/12/2013, 09:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well this relevation about spanish testicles explains a lot I suppose. I guess I didn't realize how many posts are made about this topic!

Those, I have gotten used to ignoring. I mainly was taking offense to the NYN Designs botlike behavior (exact same text, tweeted again and again by different accounts).

Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 02/12/2013, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

I don't know about you, but whenever I tweet about testicles, I do it in Spanish slang.
Liked by xandros9, dignitary and pattyland like this.
Old 02/12/2013, 03:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

There has to be some dual meaning... I'm obsessing over this, but they cannot be talking about balls in these tweets. Some things just aren't meant to be understood.

Old 02/12/2013, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sometimes Spanish tweets do contain mobile related topics. Easiest way to spot those are the correct capitalization of webOS and presence of other mobile/technology related term, in addition to the lack of "jajajajaja" and massive wall of non-tech hashtags.
Old 02/13/2013, 12:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

What's a Twitter?

I don't understand any of that...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 02/13/2013, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rnp

Hahahaha... well... "huevos" is "ovos" in portuguese.

In other words, you can see "owos" in Brazil...

Best Regards...
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/07/2013, 01:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

pivotCE adds #webOS behind all our automated article tweets, to be sure we fight the *****'s
Old 11/07/2013, 07:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So the implication is that webOS has cojones? Is that bad?

No wonder that it was marketed to the ladies! ;-)

Cojones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0