webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > RIMM stock now highet then HP?
RIMM stock now highet then HP?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By geekpeter
  • 4 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By Vity Traff
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler

Old 01/22/2013, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just noticed that RIMM stock is higher than HP today - how the mighty have fallen.

RIMM 17.62 +1.78 +11.24%
HPQ 17.15 +0.04 +0.20%
Old 01/22/2013, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

your local newsagent or fish & chip shop likely has a higher stock price than HP.
Old 01/22/2013, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

That's the single share price, which is meaningless when comparing companies. What really matters is the market cap, i.e. the value of all its shares combined.

RIMM has 514 million shares outstanding, giving a market cap of $9.22 billion.
HPQ has 1.97 billion shares outstanding, giving a market cap of $33.92 billion.
Thus, HPQ is 3.6 times more valuable than RIMM as a company.

Also of interest is the earnings-per-share, which is the company’s earnings (profit) divided by the number of shares. It's how much each share reaped in profit - or loss - for the preceding quarter.

RIMM's EPS: -$1.62
HPQ's EPS: -$6.45 (though the massive Autonomy writedown of the previous quarter was a paper loss anomaly)

Make no mistake, neither company is in good shape. RIM's stock is still trading below its book value (how much the company's actual assets are worth, which is $18 a share) and HP is looking at a difficult future saddled with numerous underperforming units and antsy investors. But HP is in significantly better shape than RIM, which is betting everything on its BlackBerry 10 launch. If BB10 isn't a rousing success, it'll be to the recycle bin of history for Waterloo. HP can coast for a while (like Microsoft), but they've got more time, stronger assets, and better positioning that RIM could ever hope for.
Liked by bluenote, xandros9, dignitary and 1 others like this.
Thanked by eKeith, RumoredNow, xandros9
Old 01/22/2013, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
I just noticed that RIMM stock is higher than HP today - how the mighty have fallen.

RIMM 17.62 +1.78 +11.24%
HPQ 17.15 +0.04 +0.20%
Waouh this is the dumbest post I ever red on this forum. You just can't compare two companies by their share price!
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 01/22/2013, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Heh. This isn't even remotely near the dumbest post ever.

*read
Liked by bluenote likes this.
Old 01/22/2013, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
Make no mistake, neither company is in good shape. RIM's stock is still trading below its book value (how much the company's actual assets are worth, which is $18 a share) and HP is looking at a difficult future saddled with numerous underperforming units and antsy investors. But HP is in significantly better shape than RIM, which is betting everything on its BlackBerry 10 launch. If BB10 isn't a rousing success, it'll be to the recycle bin of history for Waterloo. HP can coast for a while (like Microsoft), but they've got more time, stronger assets, and better positioning that RIM could ever hope for.
in all honesty i thought rim was going under at 1 point with lots of doomsayers interviewed on tv or newspaper reports of people leaving rim after they had their outage issues a little while ago.

most of those people sounded like their lives would end for the 1 day or so they couldnt get emails or make a call as if there were no other temp alternatives.

i assumed just having that negative press all over would be the final nail in the coffin, but they seem to be hanging in there.

Last edited by geekpeter; 01/27/2013 at 02:47 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

RIM stock has slowly been rising since the announcement on bb10, and even more when almost every major carrier announced they would carry it.i think the new Os looks excellent and i hope RIM can use it to pull themselves out from under the likes of android and iphone. They just have terrible marketing in the US, but i believe (just like with webos) if people actually used it, they would like it. People only want iphones and androids because that's what caught on and become popular.
itsjustheath is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0