webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > To WebOS or not to WebOS
To WebOS or not to WebOS
Like Tree21Likes

Old 01/21/2013, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I have got a major problem.

I have had my Palm Pre from day one, I was even the one waiting in the Que at my local 02 store. Even though it was only me and this other guy

Anyway my problem is my Palm Pre is on its last legs....Slowing down, battery draining like mad and the fact it looks its been in the wars.

So new phone time. Do I get the HP Pre 3, phone which is discontinued, no support and no apps (but I love the WebOS UI) (Also HP Pre3 Owners, you still get a notification light? that you get on the Pre)

Or maybe get a Galaxy Nexus in hope a working Open WebOS will come to it one day......

Or do I wait.....Keep hanging on to my beloved Palm Pre and just wait, hope and pry for a new WebOS phone comes out..

Or go to to another OS like Windows Phone or the new Ubuntu phone...

Cant ask anybody i know because they will all say get iOS which I do not want to get.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited by leawzkd; 01/21/2013 at 06:43 AM.
leawzkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have just bought a Gnex too port to it either Ubuntu phone or Owos, which comes first. Just giving Ubuntu a try, but will be switching back to webOS anyway when it is open and portable for somebody like me.
Own a Pre3 now, a great, beautiful phone, but it is a bit buggy on me just a bit to often..
I have owned and used phones of almost all platforms (only no Meego/Tizen/etc), but webOS is still my alltime favorite!
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I ha e been using an at&t Pre 3 now for 16 months and am very happy with, mine is not buggy at all, works great and yes, it has the notification light that works the same as your Pre. Prices have dropped on them so now is a good time to give one try. If you don't like you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for it
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by leawzkd likes this.
Old 01/21/2013, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

webOS Ports team members have repeatedly said, "Do not buy any device on the assumption that porting to it will succeed." That's a paraphrase, but you get the gist. There is ZERO promise that any port will become stable, usable enough for even Beta release.

If you gotta stay webOS there are plenty of Pre 2 and Veer units out there... Parts, replacement and accessory levels are good. Pre 3 units are around if a bit more scarce.

Ubuntu phone is due Q4 2013 or Q1 2014... That's what I read. So that one isn't due soon.

You could try some of the other current phones. I suppose Android is out just like iOS since you only mention an Android phone as a porting target. BB 10 is here, give that a poke at your local carrier shop along with the Win Phone...

If you're spending $ to stay webOS then you really must go with a current legacy device.

If you want a stop gap phone - don't count on anything being ported to it as a definitive answer (either Open Source webOS or Ubuntu). Instead spend the money as if that is the OS you are going to use as a daily.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, leawzkd and Remy X like this.
Old 01/21/2013, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was one of those day one people for the Palm Pre also and hung on to it until it gave up the ghost. I tried with replacements but they never worked out. After careful consideration, I came to the conclusion that my beloved WebOS was destined to disappear. I jumped to Android and quickly realized that all the hacks that I was doing on the Pre were pretty much there already on Android without the need to hack! Yes I miss the swiping away of cards and such but I'm very happy with Android. If WebOS ever comes back I'll give it a look I would sussegst the Samsung S3 if you want to go to Android, or the HTC EVO LTE. Good luck!
teejay69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rumorednow is right, there is no promise of being able to port OWOS to something anytime soon, so best would probably be getting a Pre3.
But as i wanted to get a new phone anyway, i got a Gnex in the hope of being able to port something new on it sometime in the future.

Webosports tweeted last Saturday that together with HP they were getting closer to a beta release of OWOS for Gnex / N7, so my hope is on that.
Maybe Ubuntu phone will be portable in a couple of weeks/months, as i understood they are planning to put a device out themselves somewhere in 2014, but the software earlier.

Anyway, if you want to stick to webOS for now, buy a Pre3, its a great phone!
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/21/2013, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Agree with all said here - you're going to need another device and OS - so just decide which one is the least painful to move from webos to.

I have a Galaxy S2 - running JB, I have an Apple iPad3 and I use my WebOS tablet also.

WebOS is still the best to use - I use my Touchpad WebOS tablet all the time - and rarely use the iPad... the touchpad is much better to use.

I'd put Android in 2nd behind WebOS - and iOS a distant 3rd.

So pick up a used android phone - limit your investment - and hopefully someday you can run WebOS on something worthwhile...

Unfortunately - I'm not planning on it.

luigidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by leawzkd and Good OL MC like this.
Old 01/21/2013, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

The other phones just not as fun as webOS. Especially now that webos not as slow as in the old days
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Old 01/21/2013, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
Agree with all said here - you're going to need another device and OS - so just decide which one is the least painful to move from webos to.

I have a Galaxy S2 - running JB, I have an Apple iPad3 and I use my WebOS tablet also.

WebOS is still the best to use - I use my Touchpad WebOS tablet all the time - and rarely use the iPad... the touchpad is much better to use.

I'd put Android in 2nd behind WebOS - and iOS a distant 3rd.

So pick up a used android phone - limit your investment - and hopefully someday you can run WebOS on something worthwhile...

Unfortunately - I'm not planning on it.

Yeah, it gets harder and harder to recommend webOS to anyone in this situation. At this point depending on webOS hardware is a...not dead end, you'd have a lot of fun tweaking and making it work, but it isn't where the future is.

Picking up another OS to use daily is a wise move. webOS at this point in time is about the software and what can be made to happen with it over time. Maybe it will be picked up and put on something, maybe you can put it on something through the work of the community - but hardware wise looking somewhere else is a solid idea for now.
Good OL MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, the OP should at least test-drive newer HP/Palm hardware... Anything is faster than an old Pre-
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's tough to go from a modern iPhone or Android to a Pre3.

But it might be much easier to go from a Pre-/+ to a Pre3.

It's tough for me to give advice, but I carry both a Pre3 and an iPhone 4, and I just can't give up webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

if you want to stick with webOS because you like it, watch for a Pre2 if you're ok with 3G or a Veer if you want 4G and you're ok with a Pixi size screen. The Veer you can do on STalk, and the Pre2 you can really do on any carrier if you take the steps to do so. There are plenty of them available to buy used so you can test drive one w/o risking a lot of $, (like i did test driving a Pre3 without a happy ending for me, YMMV of course)

I can't recommend a Pre3 after test driving one for a couple months, i wasn't happy enough for the money spent. But there are plenty of Pro and Con opinions on here about that phone including people who have had success using it daily. i can agree it would have been the best little phone if it had support all this time to iron out its quirks.

that said, they're all still not cheap. webOS phones have a lot of demand still. so you can definitely turn around and sell and recover some $ if you need to. BUT keep your eyes open for a deal cuz they're out there. nothing else is really stellar that's worth switching to IF you've been using webOS since new and like me, there are no droids you're looking for.

I do like my little Pre2 which i converted to Sprint. I'm redoctoring it right now in fact. haha
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/21/2013, 10:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

@TJ,

I think O2 is a carrier in England, so I'm not sure there's 'STalk there, but I definitely agree with everything else. The Pre- really isn't a good representation of what webOS can be
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 02:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leawzkd View Post
Hi guys,

I have got a major problem.

I have had my Palm Pre from day one, I was even the one waiting in the Que at my local 02 store. Even though it was only me and this other guy

Anyway my problem is my Palm Pre is on its last legs....Slowing down, battery draining like mad and the fact it looks its been in the wars.

So new phone time. Do I get the HP Pre 3, phone which is discontinued, no support and no apps (but I love the WebOS UI) (Also HP Pre3 Owners, you still get a notification light? that you get on the Pre)

Or maybe get a Galaxy Nexus in hope a working Open WebOS will come to it one day......

Or do I wait.....Keep hanging on to my beloved Palm Pre and just wait, hope and pry for a new WebOS phone comes out..

Or go to to another OS like Windows Phone or the new Ubuntu phone...

Cant ask anybody i know because they will all say get iOS which I do not want to get.

Thanks

Michael
If you're interested in a pre2 I've just been given one which is surplus to my requirements (i already have a veer, another pre2 and a pre3), so would be happy to pass it on to keep a fellow webos user happy. I take it you're in the UK? PM me if interested.
Liked by laingman, TJs11thPre, Firepower and 2 others like this.
Thanked by leawzkd, RumoredNow
Old 01/22/2013, 09:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

im curious about blackberry. and if it catches on, interest in the similar webOS could come back provided they also can solve initial app problem by licensing frm another platform or maybe as a 3rd world phone.

ps i like the veer in combo with tablet
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 09:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
im curious about blackberry. and if it catches on, interest in the similar webOS could come back provided they also can solve initial app problem by licensing frm another platform or maybe as a 3rd world phone.

ps i like the veer in combo with tablet
From the videos I have seen I don't know if its (blackberry 10) all that similar to webos. I see the up swipe to go recent apps, but the apps are on a grid. Don't know if one can flick them off the screen.

Message come in and led lights up then you slide sideways to peek at them. I guess that's similar to expanding the notification area.

Haven't seen anything similar to stacks, advanced gestures, touchstone. Don't know if one can re-arrange the recent app in that grid thing.

I will be at the store to try one as soon as it launches. Pretty sure I will be on my pre2 for a while tho

Last edited by laingman; 01/22/2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01/22/2013, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

I will never leave WebOS, at least not until HP shots down their servers. I own other OS phones but, here by me, always and always I have my WebOS phones. It makes my heart smiles with joy when I take my SIM and stick it in one of my WebOS phones and boot it in my favorite OS.
WebOS forever
darkoman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman, g.vos and Remy X like this.
Old 01/22/2013, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
I will never leave WebOS, at least not until HP shots down their servers. I own other OS phones but, here by me, always and always I have my WebOS phones. It makes my heart smiles with joy when I take my SIM and stick it in one of my WebOS phones and boot it in my favorite OS.
WebOS forever
I'm with you. My pre2 is so snappy I'm launching things I didn't mean to, but it doesn't matter since its webOS ha ha ): I guess I have the right combination of patches. My 3g free tether is almost as fast as my cable WiFi and I'm on sprint with unlimited data and not having to pay that $10 smartphone tax since they think my pre2 is a pre minus.

Only problem I'm having is some YouTube weirdness skipping and such, maybe I'll start a thread to get some suggestions about that.

But yeah, I'm pretty happy not going anywhere anytime soon

ps: another problem is I spend way too much time just playing with my phone ):
Liked by jkromero and darkoman4 like this.
Old 01/23/2013, 03:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you very much guys for all you response and advice you have given me all a lot to think about.

I think what your all saying is that I should get a Pre3, and see WebOS work on better hardware than my Palm Pre.

The Galaxy nexus would be great to get but without haven't even a beta of Open WebOS out there not much point.

There are pretty cheap for Pre 3 over here can pick on up from a electronic exchange place for about 120 so might as well go for it.

And who knows.......Maybe when I write another Thread in 3 or 4 years time, I be asking you all which WebOS phone I should get from the many WebOS Phones out there!........a guy can dream

Thanks again.
leawzkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/24/2013, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'd jump for a Galaxy Nexus, since it's the most flexible at this point
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, phone, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0