webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Is this bad ?
Is this bad ?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By Ventus221
  • 4 Post By Remy X

Old 01/19/2013, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I love WebOS to death I really do and I am a fan boy without question, but is it bad that I bought an Ipad to replace my Touchpad as my work computer? I mean is it bad that I still love this community and platform even in the states it's in? Is it bad that I'm going to end up replacing my Pre 3 with an IPhone in like a month due to everything that's happened ? Is it bad that I still love WebOS and would go back to it when the devices start catching up again in some capacity like when a new device comes out? Or when the Gnex port is finished? Is it bad that that I look at my Touch Pad as a device to become a hobby to me even though it has a special place in my heart as does WebOs as a whole, because this is my first Mobile OS of choice? Is it bad that I still want to help this community and keep Em up to date with posts of exciting stuff from all over the world of WebOS even though I personally no longer use it as a daily driver with the exception of my Pre 3?

You tell me.
Old 01/19/2013, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
I love WebOS to death I really do and I am a fan boy without question, but is it bad that I bought an Ipad to replace my Touchpad as my work computer? I mean is it bad that I still love this community and platform even in the states it's in? Is it bad that I'm going to end up replacing my Pre 3 with an IPhone in like a month due to everything that's happened ? Is it bad that I still love WebOS and would go back to it when the devices start catching up again in some capacity like when a new device comes out? Or when the Gnex port is finished? Is it bad that that I look at my Touch Pad as a device to become a hobby to me even though it has a special place in my heart as does WebOs as a whole, because this is my first Mobile OS of choice? Is it bad that I still want to help this community and keep Em up to date with posts of exciting stuff from all over the world of WebOS even though I personally no longer use it as a daily driver with the exception of my Pre 3?

You tell me.
Yes, its pretty bad
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Now the important part.

Why do you think so?
Old 01/19/2013, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Because of how there are no new webOS devices for a while, it's understandable for people to move on to something more recent. We all love webOS, and would continue using it for the long term if there were actual progress on the hardware front and on HP's part.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thank you for that, I'm glad someone understands
Old 01/19/2013, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

for me it was others telling me "the grass is greener" on XYZ device, so i end up buying near every brand of everything, the ipad3 and 2x android tablets i got were a novelty at first tho that wore off when i found that most apps were unuseable garbage (but from market reviews WERE good at some point before they broke or partially worked).

Other apps ended up great for a day or 2 then slowly it sank in they were minor time wasting apps with no long term use.its also why i have pretty much every brand of console/pc/tablet/phone going just because of others telling me their great so i get them then get bored when the noveltys wear off.

crap i own that i can remember offhand.

tablets: ipad3, 2x touchpads, 1x 8" android tablet, 1x 7" android tablet
phones: pre3, lg optimus1 p500 (did try cm10 recently, still a crap phone), some old samsung clamshell phone.
consoles: ps1, slim ps2, ps3, xbox360, wii, wii-u, amiga cd32(sx32), 1x broken sega megadrive
handheld consoles: gb.adv, 2x psp, 1x vita, 1x ds, 1x gp2x
laptops: 1x rock direct extreme 64, 1x novatech generic 2.4ghz laptop
Computers: 1x x86 PC, 1x A500(broken), 1xA600, 1x A1200(normal), 1x Amiga 1200(603ePPC/040-towered-proper-broken), 1x broken C64c(cream version), 1x C64(charcoal/black version).

of all that the only stuff i regularly use and gravitate back too is the ps3, a psp, and the touchpad, the rest are just novelty rubbish i barely use, after a while of using the newer devices i just cant see what most people see in other new devices like iphones/ipads etc, it usually boils down to games tho, and ive yet to play something on those that didnt bore me after a few days.

my android tablets arent bad but im mostly using them as book readers or to play c64 stuff on via frodo, the ipad3 is just a very expensive tv using netflix/tvcatchup, its on a rail/holder stuck to the side of my pc and just sits there as a fixed tv. Everything else tablet wise, its the touchpad tbh.

NOTE: i only give the ipad a brief thumbs up because its the only tablet that lets me play some amiga/c64 golden oldies i enjoyed such as pinball fantasies/dreams, spy vs spy(proper crap tho), battle squadron (still bloody amazing), Giana sisters (not bad), Ascendancy (pc game but tablet version sucks majorly).
Old 01/19/2013, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

SO maybe i Shouldn't feel awkward for likeing two OS's lol
Old 01/20/2013, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

There have been no WebOS devices made since August 2011. Eventually, folks will have to move on - although not many people are still using WebOS phones.

There are a number of $99 and $150 Touchpads out there but with lack of support or real updates, it will dwindle as they run out of gas. How much will someone spend to fix a discontinued $99 device?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 01:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

There's nothing wrong with liking the faster, newer Apple hardware... or the intuitive, well designed webOS interface. It just shows that you care about quality.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treodoc755, xandros9, geekpeter and 1 others like this.
Old 01/20/2013, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Haha thank you guys
Old 01/20/2013, 02:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

You do what is best for you. No worries at all
Old 01/20/2013, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
There have been no WebOS devices made since August 2011. Eventually, folks will have to move on - although not many people are still using WebOS phones.

There are a number of $99 and $150 Touchpads out there but with lack of support or real updates, it will dwindle as they run out of gas. How much will someone spend to fix a discontinued $99 device?
for this reason i just bought more when they are available at reasonable prices/conditions on amazon or ebay, and likely still will if the ones i have fail.

after owning 2 touchpads, 2 knockoff hong kong android tablets and the ipad3 i can easily tell now that the hardware doesnt really matter at all, yeah its nice having nice fast stuff like the ipad3, but tbh theres not a hell of a lot that actually uses that power, again it boils down to games.

games are the ONLY thing that uses the extra horsepower, your browser goes no faster on say an ipad2/ipad3 or ipad4 just because of a better cpu, your internet doesnt magically speed up, its just games that take advantage and even then its typically just 3d ones at that, i have various 2d ones that work just as well on my cheapest 58 android knockoff tablet than they do on the ipad3.

bigger screen resolutions as well, always taunted as a kickass feature of "new" tablets, yeah great they look better, but when you read those reviews showing you differences, their always magnified to show the difference, real time use, i cant tell much of a difference on the ipad3 than the touchpad, and if i do its minimal. (only used those 2 as an example as their near identical sizes and my other devices are smaller)

i always like to ask why a new super fast ultra amazing shiney new tablet is "needed" over a touchpad, what kickass feature do they have that no other can do, why does some1 for example need the latest and greatest android tablet over the touchpad with cm9/10 on it, esp if you got it cheaper and you have for example a touchstone and a dual boot option (3 if you include usage of native ubuntu or chroot ubuntu).

typically a reply id read on the android or ipad forums would boil down to "ours are faster" and have XYZ specs vastly superior, which is great but again virtually nothing uses all that power so its near wasted which is why my cheap knockoff tablets can run the same stuff.

the touchpad seems a good tradeoff tbh, its got the option of 2 native operating systems now, optional ubuntu as well, touchstone rechargeable, its open to mod/patch on all those OS, its definatly powerful enough for pretty much anything. Anything it cant do is surely in a pathetically small minority.

the above ofc only applies to people who are geekier than most, joe sheep/trendy ofc will be happy with any old thing that looks shiney or following suit with whatever their friends have.

the allwinner knockoff tablets i have would score just as high IF their battery lasted longer, tbh its the devices only downfall, being utter garbage, your lucky if they last more than an hour sometimes depending on what your doing.
Old 01/20/2013, 05:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have a pre2 and a backup. Thinking of buying another one. Call me crazy.
Old 01/20/2013, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I had an Android phone... Then I got out of smart phones. When I came back to them I bought into webOS... I got a Pre 2 after the Apothcolypse but before Open Source. I came to it knowing chances were not good it would ever see production soon, if ever.

I don't regret it. Love the Pre 2 and got a Veer. Veer is fantastic.

I had an ICS tablet. When the chance came I grabbed a TouchPad and gave the ICS tab to my GF. I don't regret that either.

I tried an iPhone. Got a deal on a used 3GS. I just don't get it. The hardware might be really good, but it's intentionally throttled to make up for the power hogging built into the OS. It's clunky to navigate and very straightjacketed in the way it handles. *meh* If I had to pick a "winner," I'd go with 'Droid. IMHO the only thing Apple excels at is taking people's money. It is hands down, unequivocally, number one in that field. I feel Bad that I even wasted money trying it.

I recently got a Nokia E5 for a new toy. I wanted to try Symbian and Straight Talk has a great deal on BNIB E5s ATM. I like it well enough and might get another Symbian phone. The form factor and build quality of the E7 makes me drool whenever I think about it. As a discontinued OS, Symbian has the advantage over webOS in terms of ongoing support from a manufacturer. It's a shame it's fallen by the wayside. It's Bad there is one less choice.

Likewise, BBs struggles and all the other once-and-never-more mobile Operating Systems that are left lying around. That's Bad. They had loyal consumers, just like webOS and now they molder.

I might try a Win-Phone variant. Maybe. I am a physical QWERTY guy and VKB frustrates me. That is really starting to limit my choices. That's Bad.

However, nothing gives me the sheer pleasure of webOS for daily operation and ease of modding. I will probably use my webOS devices until they are all dead.

I don't have employer demands on me for compliance in mobile nor do I care about twitting or booking face. If I did, then I'd probably have a device for work and webOS for me. And that sort of stinks having to carry two devices and juggle parts of your life. That's a big part of what is forcing people to switch. Work/school/social media compliance.

That's what's Bad. Consumers in the mobile market are complicit right alongside carriers and OEMs. Lack of choice is not good. It's Bad. Very Bad.

It sucks you HAVE to choose. Understandable, but rotten nonetheless. It's a Bad market. Bad that you have to choose the lesser of two evils (from your marginalized perspective).

You're not Bad. Don't feel Bad about yourself. You have to do what will keep your life moving forward smoothly.

Compared to webOS, other Operating Systems might feel like a Bad choice. It's not you. It's a Bad time for the mobile market. Lack of competition has never been good for consumers. It's always Bad. These are forces beyond your immediate control.

Keep your life rolling along and maybe the market will come around again to something you can believe in. That would be Good. That would be very Good indeed.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

It's not bad.

I do like and cheer for webOS, but I still use an iPod touch as my main driver.
Primary reasons are solid performance and app selection. I don't care for a lot, it's just the basic Google Drive and Chrome app.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 02:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

It's not bad. It's just not special. For a start, you wouldn't be sharing life with us folks here.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 05:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
Now the important part.

Why do you think so?
It's bad because you moving on but still love where you came from. Like first generation immigrants happy to be in a great country but still pining for the poor country you left behind.
Old 01/29/2013, 03:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Good metaphor lol

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0