webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Your reaction to Ubuntu news?
Your reaction to Ubuntu news?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  • 1 Post By gizmo21

Old 01/04/2013, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Do you think there will be a mobile nations Ubuntu page one day? Are you excited by it? Do you think that there is realistically a place for webos or Ubuntu in the market?

I think it looks great. I really think that there could be a market for it IF the apps are there, and we'll see it on the mobile nations site one day.

Why do i think that? For the same reason that I was excited about webos being acquired by HP. Because I think that standard desktop operating systems are horrible to use now. I hate the web browser format for content, and I hoped to have a desktop that behaved like my mobile os.

Google isn't doing it with android yet, they are stuck in Web app mode. Ubuntu is made for touch on the desktop, and I'm excited to try it. But windows is making the same push, and it is only a matter of who gets the apps first.

My 0.02
jrsharp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

When it comes to ubuntu, i think it has reached its market limit. WebOS, jury still out but it aint looking good.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

microsoft and ubuntu mobile solutions that mimick or enhance their desktop products imho are fine "when" they work fine, i believe their future depends on how their newer mobile variants handle problems that can frequently occur.

Desktop windows and ubuntu often require some pita solutions to fix their problems, if the mobile variants end up just as bad then it's doomsday, if their easily fixed then its all good and might even benefit their desktop variants in the long run.

no idea how the ubuntu solution looks just now, when i first read a story on it, it looked like nothing more than a stripped down ubuntu with a slightly different looking unity layout.

if anything new works and gets popularity then good luck tbh, no1 will make me/us swap to them ofc, its all down to if they offer you something you find comfortable to use and it does what you want.
Old 01/05/2013, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizetteC View Post
I would guess that Mobile Nations would consolidate all of the open source mobile OS communities - those without major hardware sponsors or market share - into one site. Probably this one.
That's a pretty great comment. Never thought of that. I guess everyone gets so hung up on an ecosystem being either "alive" or "dead" that "in development" doesn't really get its share.
jrsharp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizetteC View Post
I would guess that Mobile Nations would consolidate all of the open source mobile OS communities - those without major hardware sponsors or market share - into one site. Probably this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
That's a pretty great comment. Never thought of that. I guess everyone gets so hung up on an ecosystem being either "alive" or "dead" that "in development" doesn't really get its share.
we would end up looking like android central, ie a confusing colossal mess of craptons of devices.
Old 01/05/2013, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
cgk

Isn't the fate of this place likely to be more like 'nokia experts'? (I think it was called nokia experts right?).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is another thread that asks whether or not the mobile OS market is too saturated for webOS to make a come back. My thoughts on that are posted there.

As far as Ubuntu on the phone is concerned, I think it has an excellent chance. The thing with Ubuntu is that, besides Canonical, there are legions of open source developers who code for Debian on multiple architectures. There is already a strong Linux on ARM community for Ubuntu phone to tap into. Some of us have already ran Ubuntu ARM desktop on our TouchPads both natively and chroot. The apps are already there and there are hundreds of thousands more to follow if they can get the interface right.

Having Ubuntu as competition should be a boon to open webOS. Canonical will ensure that Ubuntu works on as many devices as possible. They will release the source code for a lot of these devices drivers. Plus I believe that the open webOS desktop already runs on top of Ubuntu ARM. They should be able to share apps.

I hope they get there own forum on Mobile Nations. I also hope they release their phone distro soon for us all to play with it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/06/2013, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

i saw the video and thought "cool preferences menu".
On the same day this thread opened:
[Patch] New Device Menu
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by brandongoeszoom likes this.
Old 01/06/2013, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

"Cool."
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 01:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

My beautiful Pre3 is slowly (but surly) dying...
Webos internals/ports are not showing any progress besides proof of concept...
Ubuntu phone demo on CES looks Amazing! they even "borrowed" the cards from Webos (look at attached picture) I will most likely purchase the first Ubuntu phone unless Webos ports will miraculously recover and bring Webos to some device before Ubuntu is released.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (97.8 KB, 14 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by alonhzn; 01/15/2013 at 01:56 AM.
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile, reaction, ubuntu

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0