webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > OS market too full for webOS?
OS market too full for webOS?
Like Tree63Likes

Old 01/17/2013, 05:19 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
a. As much as there are ports coming Nexus and Nexus 7..simply said it's still primarily for hackers/ geeks. It's not a mass release product. And the problem lies with HP/ Gram, expecting volunteers to get a working port and probably not putting their effort into it.

c. Point C. As much as they're continuously upgrading webos with new features...these are features primarily to get it up to capability to webos 3.0. Will it be on part with say Android 4.x? - I can safely say no. However I do think Openos has the cleanest and best UI even compared to 4.x android.

On the issue of drivers. There are Linux drivers (available from android). The fact is back to the issue of low level driver programming capabilities. I do not expect these to be available readily - but at least HP/Gram should have these people in the team to help say the OpenOS ports team to improve the drivers etc? No?

The mobile market is moving so fast...and in this current sprint - webos is far behind all the existing mobile OS with a Ubuntu nipping it's heels.

Solutions that I can see.
1. HP to release reference mobile devices for OEM to copy.
2. Gram to state clearly their upcoming programs/ efforts and timelines
3. At least the professional edition of Open OS to be ready to be ported into a standard device.
(all these must happen within the next six - 9 months.)
Only 1 point I have issue with- does android OS have much more than webOS? I'm running CM9 (eventually 10 when it stabilizes) and it runs smoothly on my TP. But android has nothing that interests me other than apps. Ice Cream sandwich is awkward and the best of android apps (going by Google appstore editor choices, Verge, engadget recommendations) are NOT impressive. When there's a webOS equivalent, I prefer the webOS one. Jellybean may be an improvement for android in terms of interface but it's just coming out for some android tablets now and not available for other android tabs. I'm not discounting the apis and background stuff that active development brings but the biggest advantages of android are active app development with robust selection and tight integration with Google apps or other big name companies like facebook, MS/Skype, Netflix. It's really not Android OS that shines. Apple has some unique integrated services like Siri and huge app selection but iOS is woefully static and limited. So the lack of key critical apps and integrated services is what is leaving webOS behind the market leaders rather than deficiencies in their respective OS.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 05:58 AM   #102 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
So the lack of key critical apps and integrated services is what is leaving webOS behind the market leaders rather than deficiencies in their respective OS.
And devices, my friend. And not exactly "new" devices, but lack of any devices in stores...

Best Regards...
Old 01/18/2013, 10:44 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
Only 1 point I have issue with- does android OS have much more than webOS? I'm running CM9 (eventually 10 when it stabilizes) and it runs smoothly on my TP. But android has nothing that interests me other than apps. Ice Cream sandwich is awkward and the best of android apps (going by Google appstore editor choices, Verge, engadget recommendations) are NOT impressive. When there's a webOS equivalent, I prefer the webOS one. Jellybean may be an improvement for android in terms of interface but it's just coming out for some android tablets now and not available for other android tabs. I'm not discounting the apis and background stuff that active development brings but the biggest advantages of android are active app development with robust selection and tight integration with Google apps or other big name companies like facebook, MS/Skype, Netflix. It's really not Android OS that shines. Apple has some unique integrated services like Siri and huge app selection but iOS is woefully static and limited. So the lack of key critical apps and integrated services is what is leaving webOS behind the market leaders rather than deficiencies in their respective OS.
I agree with everything you wrote. I love webOS as an OS because it is hands down the easiest and most elegant mobile OS to use. Period. Whether it is on a phone or on a tablet. However, webOS is not successful right now. We can argue for days all of the reasons why. In order for it to succeed, HP/Gr.am needs to give users the ability to do what they need/want to do on it. This means an up to date standards compliant browser with all of the most used plug ins and utilities, services similar to what Google/Apple offers, more useful and entertaining applications, and new improved versatile hardware.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0