webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > WebOS Head Unit
WebOS Head Unit
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By knobbysideup
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre

Old 12/21/2012, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

It'd be really nice to have a WebOS powered head unit for the car. Nav, Radio, Phone, GPS, Mp3 music collection (add a 150GB SSD!!) etc with a card interface? How sweet would that be?

Perhaps when OpenWebOS gains traction this could be a homebrew project. I'd love this in my car.
Old 12/21/2012, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

But GPS... will it work in Australia?
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Firepower likes this.
Old 12/21/2012, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't really imagine swiping cards in my car... In my car KISS is probably better.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
I can't really imagine swiping cards in my car... In my car KISS is probably better.
Not KISS... Queen!!!!!

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 12/21/2012, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Which is why gestures are better. You don't have to focus on hitting the little button. You can keep your attention on controlling the vehicle better. Using my phone with one hand is loads easier than any other.
Old 12/22/2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
It'd be really nice to have a WebOS powered head unit for the car. Nav, Radio, Phone, GPS, Mp3 music collection (add a 150GB SSD!!) etc with a card interface? How sweet would that be?

Perhaps when OpenWebOS gains traction this could be a homebrew project. I'd love this in my car.
i used to be into hi-end car stereo, like really into it. but one of the catches is, you have to take that faceplate or risk theft. (i remember pulling and lugging the whole head unit around; glad that's ancient history) in fact, i remember thinking once upon a time, that it would be cool if the faceplate worked like a mobile phone when you took it off. then it'd be worth the hassle of carrying it.

now i have a basic stereo with aux input, and an awesome phone that has all the features you described; plus a stereo BT headset. so i don't care about taking the faceplate off (or forgetting to) and i never forget my phone.

My Pre paired to the stereo BT headset has really made me not care about improving the stereo hardware in my truck at all! (which happens to be a soft top like a jeep, so I was leery about putting good equip in there anyway)

Now, i'm completely fine with the basic stereo thru aux input and i use the phone i'm already familiar with, like it's the remote control. i really don't want my calls transmitting thru the whole truck (which is noisy as heck), so they go to the headset. but music and gps navigation can transmit to the radio if i want them to.

so, your Pre already IS a great webOS head unit-portable GUI-gps-mobile phone - that will move to any car you get in, and works mobile like a Walkman/Ipod too! why confine it to just one dashboard?
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.

Tags
car radio hardware

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0