webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > webOS Cloud Service Includes What?
webOS Cloud Service Includes What?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By Vistaus

Old 12/14/2012, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

I know cloud services for webOS include backups and App Catalog, but I can't think of anything else other than software updates and a little bit of device management. What else are there?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Synergy?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/14/2012, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do they use it as an all-encompassing term that includes other services the device uses, like box.net, google, etc...?

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Do they use it as an all-encompassing term that includes other services the device uses, like box.net, google, etc...?
isnt synergy just the "thing" that single handedly manages lots of other stuff in a uniform manner? Same as the datatypes system the amiga workbench uses. The frontman that handles the masses.
Old 12/14/2012, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Backup management, webOS accounts, App Catalog are probably the big parts. There's probably some other stuff too.

Oh, yeah, OTA system too.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Synergy?

Synergy is more or less a local aggregator that uses other web services as sources. I'm only counting webOS specific services,
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/14/2012, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Synergy is more or less a local aggregator that uses other web services as sources. I'm only counting webOS specific services,
Isn't it webOS specific then? I can't recall that someone ported/created Synergy on some other OS.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Isn't it webOS specific then? I can't recall that someone ported/created Synergy on some other OS.
Yes, but Synergy doesn't rely on a cloud server to process the data. It's done locally, not through HP's servers, hence not really a cloud service.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 12/14/2012, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Synergy is mostly just Palm's name for the merging of contacts, calendars, etc for different accounts. I think it also describes the on-device method of managing those accounts and their permissions. Either way, it is not part of Palm/HP's cloud services. It isn't something unique to webOS -- other OS's do it too -- but Palm's always felt "nicer". It's hard to describe. Linked contacts in Android always felt more cumbersome, but probably just because I had experienced webOS first.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2012, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, Syngery combines all of it, that's not something other OS'es do normally (yes, OSX and Ubuntu 12.10 but I'm talking mobile here).
Old 12/15/2012, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Backup management, webOS accounts, App Catalog are probably the big parts. There's probably some other stuff too.

Oh, yeah, OTA system too.
App version check and update notification...

<edit: I mention it because it happens independently of visits to the App Catalog.>
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2012, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
App version check and update notification...

<edit: I mention it because it happens independently of visits to the App Catalog.>
I was going to mention that too, only thing that has remained missing on the "WebOS Account" has been the ability to sync not only apps, contacts, ' BUT PHOTOS or MUSIC ' like iCloud for iOS operating system for Apple devices. It was weird that even the WebOS Team didn't included that functionality long ago.....
Old 12/16/2012, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Music isn't synced on iOS. You can control iTunes from you iOS device. But you can also do that on the Touchpad with Retune.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/16/2012, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos, though that could simply just fall under backup services
Old 12/16/2012, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos, though that could simply just fall under backup services
yeah, technically its part of the backup process. Any database marked backup true is automatically backed up. Its a great feature for developers but I don't know if anyone knew of it

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 06:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

wasn't that _sync=true? I think that is what I tried once... it's working quite nice and all your stuff comes back after a profile restore. Of course it is not synced between devices, so "backup" would be more accurate.

I think the _sync field was described somewhere on developer.palm.com. It really is a great feature and I think some apps use it (like some of them never seem to forget my logins or settings or other data).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 09:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

yes it's a db8 feature:

db8 - HP webOS Developer Center - https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../mojo/db8.html
Quote:
Where is the db8 database file stored? Is it on "/media/internal", so the user can back it up?

It is stored on "/var/db". By setting "sync":true when calling "putKind", you can have Palm back up data objects of that kind. Data is backed up on a daily basis.
Can be checked in impostah - Database - Database entry eg. one in note:1

This would be a great way to backup/sync app-data to a self-hosted cloud service in Openwebos *hint*

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/02/2013 at 09:30 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0