Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  1.    #1  
    I know cloud services for webOS include backups and App Catalog, but I can't think of anything else other than software updates and a little bit of device management. What else are there?
    Synergy?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Do they use it as an all-encompassing term that includes other services the device uses, like box.net, google, etc...?

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Do they use it as an all-encompassing term that includes other services the device uses, like box.net, google, etc...?
    isnt synergy just the "thing" that single handedly manages lots of other stuff in a uniform manner? Same as the datatypes system the amiga workbench uses. The frontman that handles the masses.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Backup management, webOS accounts, App Catalog are probably the big parts. There's probably some other stuff too.

Oh, yeah, OTA system too.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Synergy?

Synergy is more or less a local aggregator that uses other web services as sources. I'm only counting webOS specific services,
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Synergy is more or less a local aggregator that uses other web services as sources. I'm only counting webOS specific services,
    Isn't it webOS specific then? I can't recall that someone ported/created Synergy on some other OS.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Isn't it webOS specific then? I can't recall that someone ported/created Synergy on some other OS.
    Yes, but Synergy doesn't rely on a cloud server to process the data. It's done locally, not through HP's servers, hence not really a cloud service.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Synergy is mostly just Palm's name for the merging of contacts, calendars, etc for different accounts. I think it also describes the on-device method of managing those accounts and their permissions. Either way, it is not part of Palm/HP's cloud services. It isn't something unique to webOS -- other OS's do it too -- but Palm's always felt "nicer". It's hard to describe. Linked contacts in Android always felt more cumbersome, but probably just because I had experienced webOS first.
    Well, Syngery combines all of it, that's not something other OS'es do normally (yes, OSX and Ubuntu 12.10 but I'm talking mobile here).
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Backup management, webOS accounts, App Catalog are probably the big parts. There's probably some other stuff too.

Oh, yeah, OTA system too.
    App version check and update notification...

<edit: I mention it because it happens independently of visits to the App Catalog.>
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    App version check and update notification...

<edit: I mention it because it happens independently of visits to the App Catalog.>
    I was going to mention that too, only thing that has remained missing on the "WebOS Account" has been the ability to sync not only apps, contacts, ' BUT PHOTOS or MUSIC ' like iCloud for iOS operating system for Apple devices. It was weird that even the WebOS Team didn't included that functionality long ago.....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Music isn't synced on iOS. You can control iTunes from you iOS device. But you can also do that on the Touchpad with Retune.

Remy X likes this.
    Contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos, though that could simply just fall under backup services
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos, though that could simply just fall under backup services
    yeah, technically its part of the backup process. Any database marked backup true is automatically backed up. Its a great feature for developers but I don't know if anyone knew of it

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    wasn't that _sync=true? I think that is what I tried once... it's working quite nice and all your stuff comes back after a profile restore. Of course it is not synced between devices, so "backup" would be more accurate.

I think the _sync field was described somewhere on developer.palm.com. It really is a great feature and I think some apps use it (like some of them never seem to forget my logins or settings or other data).
    yes it's a db8 feature:

db8 - HP webOS Developer Center - https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../mojo/db8.html
    Where is the db8 database file stored? Is it on "/media/internal", so the user can back it up?

It is stored on "/var/db". By setting "sync":true when calling "putKind", you can have Palm back up data objects of that kind. Data is backed up on a daily basis.
    Can be checked in impostah - Database - Database entry eg. one in note:1

This would be a great way to backup/sync app-data to a self-hosted cloud service in Openwebos *hint*
    Last edited by gizmo21; 01/02/2013 at 10:30 AM.