1.    #1  
    This may be a silly question. But webos uses meta tap + V for paste when +P would be more logical. So what is +P used for?
    I think it's just trying to follow conventions. You know, Ctrl-Z/X/C/V. Don't want to mess people up, when Ctrl-P could possibly be print (which I don't think is supported prior to 3.0).
  3.    #3  
    Ok. Never thought of print. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I think it's just trying to follow conventions. You know, Ctrl-Z/X/C/V. Don't want to mess people up, when Ctrl-P could possibly be print (which I don't think is supported prior to 3.0).
    I agree, didn't PalmOS use non-standard or am I thinking of something else? Been a long time since I used Palm OS. Also in webOS don't forget meta + A, that was a nice addition.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I agree, didn't PalmOS use non-standard or am I thinking of something else? Been a long time since I used Palm OS. Also in webOS don't forget meta + A, that was a nice addition.
    Conventions sometimes suck. I recall every body begging opera desktop guys to change from bottom posting to top posting in email replies. They would not budge saying they following conventions even tho it didn't make much sense.

Yes, A for select all is pretty nice
    wow bottom posting e-mail would drive me INSANE
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Conventions? Really?

Meta+Z to Undo, Meta+Y to reboot

I work with some folks that are hung up on conventions..... but they think they are actually going to be able to get this stuff to work.... (new software, and conventions haven't been set yet).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    wow bottom posting e-mail would drive me INSANE
    Yep. In opera's mail client one can move the cursor and reply at the top if you want, but then your signature will still be at the bottom of all messages. So one has to type it each time or copy and paste, or use no signature. A real mess
    ewwwwww
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Conventions? Really?

Meta+Z to Undo, Meta+Y to reboot
    Meta+Z/Y is undo/redo like CTRL+Z/Y in windows:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Z
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Y

So i'm fine with all the META taps a c v z y

and for reboot take OPTION+SHIFT+Sym which the CTRL+ALT+DEL on webOS
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Meta+Z/Y is undo/redo like CTRL+Z/Y in windows:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Z
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Y

So i'm fine with all the META taps a c v z y

and for reboot take OPTION+SHIFT+Sym which the CTRL+ALT+DEL on webOS
    It says those keys were chosen for their position on the keyboard. So that +c for copy and +x for cut was just a happy coincidence. Could just as easily have been vbnm on the other side of the key board depending on what the ancients thought would be easier to press
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    It says those keys were chosen for their position on the keyboard. So that +c for copy and +x for cut was just a happy coincidence. Could just as easily have been vbnm on the other side of the key board depending on what the ancients thought would be easier to press
    The actual keys could be used as a mnemonic device: X for scissors, C for copy (which begins with C), V for the tip of a glue bottle, and Z as sort of an arrow type thing. Not sure how Y works. They probably just ran out of consecutive letters.
    Either way, it was a good idea for Palm to chose something that a significant proportion of the population was familiar with.