webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Another OS is using Cards!
Another OS is using Cards!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 12/11/2012, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just had a go at the new Firefox OS in the simulator they have just put out, and it looks pretty good.
But after opening a few apps i noticed they opened quite similar to webos. I tried a few ways of bringing them up, but couldnt work it out.

I had to hold down the home button, and there they were. I know there a loads of other iterations of the cards thing, but this is pretty much the same. You even throw them away to the top of the screen. Ridiculous.

I'd definitely have a look though, as i think it will on a lot of handsets when i comes out, but i was gutted that another OS has copied webos, even though they are rubbish in comparison. it looks as though they have merged all os's together into one, which is good and bad.

Just a rant as i want webos on a sick devices, and in loads of hands, laps and so-forth.
Old 12/11/2012, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Google Chrome (Android) uses cards to an extent, that you can swipe left and right to switch tabs, and throw them off the top in landscape or side in portrait.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

But Android's thumbnails will tell you your program has been frozen at 32% loading stuff into eternity.
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Google Chrome (Android) uses cards to an extent, that you can swipe left and right to switch tabs, and throw them off the top in landscape or side in portrait.
But Android's implementation is a lame implementation. Yes, the throwing away is the same but it's not multitasking at all because... well...

On webOS, let's say you open the web browser, then the calendar and then the lock screen settings.
Now you switch over from the calendar to the web browser and then go back into card view. It's still sorted as: web - calendar - lock screen settings.

Now let's do the same on Android. After opening them, switch over from the calendar to the web browser and then look at the multitasking tray. It's now sorted as: calendar - web browser - lock screen settings

I like Android only on my newly Razr i but I *hate* that I can't switch fast because every time I have to look which one I have to tap whereas on webOS it never changes so you always know the sorting.
(I still use my HP Touchpad with webOS 3.0.5 a lot even though I ditched my HP Pre 3 so I'm still a multitasking guy lol)
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Can you move them around on android? Never thought to check. Stacks?
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Can you move them around on android? Never thought to check. Stacks?
No moving around and no stacks either.
Old 12/12/2012, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

doubt hp/gram would be bothered or could do anything about it, its not like they have a single device in production or planned production for them to pretend the mimicking of cards or webOS in general on another platform would hurt them in any way.
Old 12/12/2012, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
doubt hp/gram would be bothered or could do anything about it, its not like they have a single device in production or planned production for them to pretend the mimicking of cards or webOS in general on another platform would hurt them in any way.
Patents are enforceable whether you are actively producing a product which uses them or not.

All those "New Innovations" in Android, Blackberry, etc. that mimic or duplicate webOS UI dilute the strength of the OS.

Whether or not there is anything there to generate litigation over, and whether litigation is worthwhile is not dependent upon production in any way for assigning infringement. The sales of "knock-offs" go to damages just as easily as the provable diminished sales of legitimate articles.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/12/2012, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I doubt anything will come from the other OS's using the many things theyve taken from webos, but its annoying that it can be taken without reprocusions.

I guess it's flattering that they cannot think of ways to do those tasks, and have to look at others (the best) for solutions.
I say this even though I am using iOS, but I still think webos is the best out there, even though it's not on many devices. iOS multitasking is the worst. Just the worst. It takes forever to do anything.

And it also looks like BB might be swiping some of those gestures we are all so fond of.
Old 12/12/2012, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
No moving around and no stacks either.
Ok then. I think I'll pass
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 11:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Patents are enforceable whether you are actively producing a product which uses them or not.

All those "New Innovations" in Android, Blackberry, etc. that mimic or duplicate webOS UI dilute the strength of the OS.

Whether or not there is anything there to generate litigation over, and whether litigation is worthwhile is not dependent upon production in any way for assigning infringement. The sales of "knock-offs" go to damages just as easily as the provable diminished sales of legitimate articles.
Moreover, its really up to HP to pursue any infringment(s) on patents that they retain on webOS. Unfortunately, I don't see them doing that...at least not any time soon.. It just doesn't make economic sense to do that when they are not really producing anything that competes with the "borrowed" UI, etc. Unless they change that soon, pieces of webOS will continue to be borrowed and integrated in to other OSs.

BTW...I was checking out a video of a Windows phone and I think that they also now have a view very similar to "card view" in the newest version. Its so similar I was really taken aback when I saw it.
monday206am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

I, for one, am happy that someone is using the nice features of WebOS. My priority is having a user-friendly mobile OS, on generally available devices - not reminiscing about the past. Let's be real, WebOS is dead; I must be missing something when I read posts unhappy about Firefox utilizing the great functionality of a defunct system.

Yes, I am a WebOS aficionado: I still use a TP as my tablet and the Veer as my phone (my wife uses Pre 3). But I do recognize that these are obsolete devices, with no further development in sight. Case in point? HTML5. One of the most important for me apps, Google Maps (or the new face of Navteq, Here) is not functional and I may finally have to break down and get an Android box.

So, I see no problem with WebOS's long-dead features getting another lease on life. Plus, I really like the idea of a Firefox OS. Now, if that were to be available to be loaded onto the TP...

Robert
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
I, for one, am happy that someone is using the nice features of WebOS. My priority is having a user-friendly mobile OS, on generally available devices - not reminiscing about the past. Let's be real, WebOS is dead; I must be missing something when I read posts unhappy about Firefox utilizing the great functionality of a defunct system.

Yes, I am a WebOS aficionado: I still use a TP as my tablet and the Veer as my phone (my wife uses Pre 3). But I do recognize that these are obsolete devices, with no further development in sight. Case in point? HTML5. One of the most important for me apps, Google Maps (or the new face of Navteq, Here) is not functional and I may finally have to break down and get an Android box.

So, I see no problem with WebOS's long-dead features getting another lease on life. Plus, I really like the idea of a Firefox OS.

Robert
I suppose the problem here is Open webOS is still being worked on, and hence those features still alive.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/13/2012, 12:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I suppose the problem here is Open webOS is still being worked on, and hence those features still alive.
That's true - forgot about that. Still, I am not really holding my breath, waiting to have WebOS functional again.
Old 12/13/2012, 01:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
That's true - forgot about that. Still, I am not really holding my breath, waiting to have WebOS functional again.
Perhaps you also forgot 72ka's homebrew Google Maps. A monumental effort by the guy, and better than what we previously had, when app support was still in Google's hands
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 01:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Perhaps you also forgot 72ka's homebrew Google Maps. A monumental effort by the guy, and better than what we previously had, when app support was still in Google's hands
No, I did not! I have it running on all my WebOS devices - a great app, for sure.

However: it runs well by itself. It's no help when visiting commercial web sites that use imbedded Google-based mapping. For example, tourist info, hotel reservation, etc. On those sites, images are partial and detailed pop-ups do not work. That is my experience in both the standard browser and MaKleSoft's Advanced browser. (I travel a lot and that is of particular interest to me).

So, indeed, 72ka's Google Maps are wonderful, but wish the actual mapping platform would work.

By the way, just for kicks, I tried Here.com (Nokia's new effort), but it was DOA on the TouchPad - all HTML5.

Last edited by rdwalker; 12/13/2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

HP will not sue. If they wanted that they'd already done that by now to RIM for the Playbook UI...

@rdwalker: Try the new Phx Maps that was released a few days ago. It bring Google Maps in Enyo form plus a working Street View.
Old 12/18/2012, 10:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
HP will not sue. If they wanted that they'd already done that by now to RIM for the Playbook UI...

@rdwalker: Try the new Phx Maps that was released a few days ago. It bring Google Maps in Enyo form plus a working Street View.
Phx Maps? Could not find them either in HP Apps or Preware. Wrong spelling?
Old 12/18/2012, 11:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Phx Maps? Could not find them either in HP Apps or Preware. Wrong spelling?
It's a direct download. http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-phx-maps.html
Old 12/19/2012, 03:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
It is also an Alpha test subject. Caveat Emptor.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0