webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > What is Dartfish?
What is Dartfish?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By artxxork
  • 3 Post By filmgirl
  • 2 Post By mattmers

Old 12/09/2012, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've seen Dartfish noticed in various pieces of Palm code, but have never figured out what it's supposed to mean. So far my guess it's some sort of service that includes the App Catalog and maybe other cloud services. It's probably not a codename for an operating system version, because 3.0 is Enyo. It's probably some sort of platform.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where? In the framework code? I mean you're talking JavaScript or is it in the openwebOS source?
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Enyo is the JavaScript framework. I think dartfish was the overall webOS 3.0 name

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Enyo is the JavaScript framework.
I remember reading from somewhere Mojo is the codename for 1.x-2.x and Enyo is 3.x. Could just be the sources I referred to. Anyway, I think Pre3 was included as one of the Dartfish devices. At least that's what the source code would like me to believe.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think there's some comments in Enyo referring to issues that were in dartfish ..

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I just know that triton is a codename for enyo (or webos 3.0?) in some framework stuff, like for example here:
https://github.com/openwebos/foundat...ms/ajaxcall.js

(there is callMojo, callNode and callTriton)

There are not really many references to Dartfish? At least a google search in github.com/openwebos only lead to a few hits in lunasysmgr code with comments about flash and emergency mode (where I'm not really sure what they are talking about).

There is some mentioning on webosnation, though: Nova-Dartfish tablet with keyboard, webOS 3.0 smartphone without, appear in app logs | webOS Nation
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Triton is testing framework. Dartfish is codename for the latest webOS version (version before Dartfish was called Catfish). No guarantee
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 04:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mojo and Enyo aren't code names, they're the official names of the Javascript frameworks used in webOS 1.x/2.x and 3.0, respectively.

Triton was a Javascript engine for running services, but replaced by node.js: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...ices.json.html
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dartfish is the code name for the initial release of webOS 3.0.
hinomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

The same way Google code names OS versions alphabetically based on desserts and Ububtu uses bizarre and inane creature names, Palm used fish.

IIRC, it was:

Albacore webOS 1.0
Blowfish webOS 2.0
Catfish webOS 2.1
Dartfish webOS 3.0
filmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, MartinH@webos and Remy X like this.
Old 12/16/2012, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Triton is testing framework. Dartfish is codename for the latest webOS version (version before Dartfish was called Catfish). No guarantee
I thought 2.x was called Albacore...

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is 3.0, It talks about the versions in "Pre to postmortem" article on The Verge.

Pre to postmortem:
Quote:
which would become the foundation for "Dartfish," webOS 3.0 (webOS 2.1 had taken the "C" codename, "Catfish").
(Right next to Léo Apotheker picture lol)

Pre to postmortem: the inside story of the death of Palm and webOS | The Verge

Last edited by mattmers; 12/17/2012 at 09:51 PM.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

webOS 1.0 is "Albacore"
webOS 2.0 is "Blowfish"
webOS 2.1 is "Catfish"
webOS 3.0 is "Dartfish"

Pre to postmortem:
Quote:
Palm had a two-tier codename system for new software releases: major versions were fish in alphabetical order (webOS 1.0 was "Albacore," for instance), while minor releases were alcohols that started with the same letter (like "Absinthe"). Toward the end of 2009, focus on iterating Albacore — which had started to become a major drain on morale — shifted to Blowfish, better known as webOS 2.0. In some respects, Blowfish is what Palm engineers had wanted to release on day one: it was the true "de-Mercerization" of the platform, to use a term one source floated with us. Unlike Albacore, which still had significant chunks of Prima left behind with special hooks into Luna, Blowfish would be a clean-slate effort with Prima completely removed. For the first time, Java would be entirely gone.
I'm going unofficially code name Open webOS Escolar.

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Escolar can be mislabeled in both restaurants and at fish markets. In 2009, as part of a project to create a DNA database of every fish species, scientists from Columbia University and the American Museum of Natural History tested tuna samples from sushi restaurants in New York City and Denver, Colorado. They discovered five of nine restaurants serving fish labeled “white tuna,” “white tuna (albacore)” or “super white tuna” were actually serving escolar.
lol

Last edited by mattmers; 12/17/2012 at 09:51 PM.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garfonso and Remy X like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0