webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Anyone have a list of "loop-back" (linked?) directories on the root drive?
Anyone have a list of "loop-back" (linked?) directories on the root drive?

Old 12/01/2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

A noob Linux filesystem question, i know...

I have my Touchpad set up as a network share, and none of my search tools on Windows are equipped to handle those directories, so they get stuck in an endless loop under /root/sys/devices browsing the same directories over and over and creating a mile-long path....

So my question is mostly about how many more of these i might encounter. One? None? I prefer to use Locate32 since it's able to index the whole drive at once, but it's definitely out, and i end up having to use a non-indexing tool like Agent Ransack to search under /root/usr and the other "safe" directories (/root/media/ mostly).

If i could just set a Windows "hide" attribute on /root/sys it would be easier, but those are protected system files so it doesn't work. Seems like a dead end for anything that does indexing, SequoiaView included. If i could only find a way to exclude those from being indexed, either by configuring something on the Touchpad side or somehow else

Anyone have a solution?

Last edited by Remy X; 12/01/2012 at 09:10 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you're just trying to browse your /media partition, there's a simple app for that:

Wifi TouchPad File Browser/Uploader | webOS Nation
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
If you're just trying to browse your /media partition, there's a simple app for that:

Wifi TouchPad File Browser/Uploader | webOS Nation
I'm actually referring the "media" under the root partition, where the installed apps are. But i've sort of given up on finding a way to blacklist the "sys" directory to allow full indexing of the partition.

Anyway, i've become familiar with where everything is, and mostly use BareGrep now, which is great for working with the non-binary source code. Lightning-fast lookup and it shows snippets of code with the line number, allowing me to visualize how things work even if references to the same set of objects are located in different files.

Thanks for the effort anyway
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0