webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Tell Firefox you use webOS
Tell Firefox you use webOS
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre

Old 11/30/2012, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

hi all,

When I opened Firefox on my home computer today, their home page included a line requesting my participation in a survey about mobile use.

The survey was just a few simple questions: did i use a smart phone or touchpad, and what OS they had.

The choices for OS were listed, including OTHER with a text field, and of course I was happy to put webOS in for both of them. (yes i lied and said i had an HP Touchpad with webOS too)

Anyway, if they can list some "Symbian" as a choice, which i've NEVER heard of, they should most certainly be listing webOS as a choice too.

If Firefox is as community-oriented as they portray themselves, (and of course, a firm competitor for all things google) then maybe we should speak up and let them know how many webOS voices are still out here and would appreciate their support. Obviously, a chorus is louder than a few solos.

Hopefully you'll participate in the survey, which did ask for an email address to accept their privacy policy (the only ID asked for) and let Firefox know how many of us are still here.

have a good day today!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Semma2
Old 11/30/2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

there is no cake.

.......sorry cant see anything like that, but for firefox on touchpad, im currently sporting firefox16.0.2 on xubuntu, not exactly truely native but it still works fine.
Old 11/30/2012, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
there is no cake.

.......sorry cant see anything like that, but for firefox on touchpad, im currently sporting firefox16.0.2 on xubuntu, not exactly truely native but it still works fine.
hm. hadn't considered it wouldn't be visible to all.

I checked my browser history and found a link to the survey:
Make Firefox for mobile better in your region
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

works fine, n1
Old 11/30/2012, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Worked for me too, are we at a chorus yet?
Old 11/30/2012, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Done. Pleasantly surprised the survey worked OK on my TP. Some of these online forms don't function some times.
Old 11/30/2012, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

If it isn't in this list near the bottom of the following article, you chances of seeing Mozilla even contemplating a port of Firefox to the platform are effectively nil:

IDC: Android on 75% of smartphones in third quarter

The only reason they're on Android is because they have a long-standing relationship with Google, the platform is open enough to port it over, and there's enough market share to make it worthwhile. iOS doesn't play nicely with browsers that aren't called "Safari", and Blackberry and Windows Phone aren't even worthwhile to Mozilla when they have their own mobile OS to finish up and get out the door (FirefoxOS). The chances of webOS ever seeing a port of Firefox are hovering at zero, if not figuratively negative territory.

As for Symbian, it was the world's dominant mobile OS until about a year ago. Just not in the U.S., which is why so few around here may not have heard about or used it.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Symbian is Nokia's embedded OS that's been around for many years. Nokia also has their Debian linux -based Maemo/Meego (on N8 and N900), but most of their handsets run Symbian and now moving on to Windows Phone for the new smartphones. There's actually a WebKit fork on Symbian with its own set of bugs, and then if anything runs Firefox mobile by default, it's the N900. Fennec is the name of the browser AFAIK.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJs10thPre
Old 12/01/2012, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
hi all,

Anyway, if they can list some "Symbian" as a choice, which i've NEVER heard of, they should most certainly be listing webOS as a choice too.

I
Well there are still about a Billion Symbian phones still operating mainly outside the USA. Symbian was an operating system largely developed in the UK and used by Nokia Ericsson, Motorola plus lots of Japanese phone manufacturers. It now has been eclipsed by the iphone and Android operating systems, but it is still being updated and it has always provided days of use on a single charge and full multitasking and lots of WebOs like features. Modern smart phones that stop working through flat batteries after 7 hours or so are a backward step in my opinion.

See Symbian in Wikipedia for the full story

Cheers

Joe Rice
joerice50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJs10thPre
Old 12/02/2012, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

also completed survey
Firepower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

completed survey on my Pre3
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I've been dreaming of getting a Symbian powered Nokia E7-00... *sigh*

Erm... finished the survey.

I hope they don't get too confuzled by Tablet OS = webOS 3.x + LunaCE 4.9.5 overlay.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't even run on standard linux well these days. I love it, but ended up moving to Chrome because the performance was simply unacceptable. So, running on a linux-based phone, I expect the same problems, although the interface would be under Mojo or SDL rather than X, so who knows.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0