webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > OD'ing on webOS - intervention needed!
OD'ing on webOS - intervention needed!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre

Old 11/29/2012, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

hi all,

i feel like the old lady who lived in a shoe, but i've got so many phones i don't know what to do!
could some clearer minds please advise me!

**THE HARDWARE**

1. i'm using my Pre- daily. It's been working dependably for years, but it's been having issues lately, particularly with streaming Pandora and maintaining a data connection. But I can't tell if that's Pandora, Sprint network, or the phone itself.

2. I have a Pre2 but i broke the glass. It was Franken'd with the afore-mentioned Pre- comm board. I bought it used with a Sprint board in it, and that's what it has now. It works, even with the broken glass, but it's been in airplane mode since i UNfranken'd it. I've turned it on briefly and it sees Sprint network (5 bars but no EV) but all its ##data settings are the same as the Pre-, so I leave it in Airplane for fear of conflict.

3. I have 2 Pre3's. One of them is currently on T-Mobile's cheapest prepaid. I'm using it to monitor their "HSPA+ migration from 1700 to 1900. (When in range, it switches from "E" to "3G". speedtest results on 3G have tested 3-9Mbps! but coverage is still too spotty in Atlanta) The 2nd Pre3 I bought after dropping the Pre2, and figured it'd be smart to have a backup parts donor for this rare bird. It also serves as a charger for the 4 spare batteries I stocked up on. The most expensive battery charger evah! ha (when i think about that i question my sanity)

**THE ISSUES**

A) So with a week's pay invested in Pre3 hardware, I really want to move up to the Pre3 for daily use. But until there's 3G everywhere it's just an EDGE phone, so web browsing is awful. Also, its Pandora hangs up more than the Pre-. It pauses at 57 seconds like every 3 songs. I use a BT headset, so Apollo is not a solution.

B) I've been looking for a donor screen for the Pre2, which I could re-Franken and use on Sprint until the T-Mo service improves (if that even happens) but Pre2s are selling for like $60 and up. I cannot justify spending that much more money on hardware, particularly if I'm going to move to the Pre3. I could swap the Pre- screen to it with its comm board; basically a Franken surgery with face transplant too! hahah (the thing may as well have a green cover and bolts sticking out of its neck)

Right now, neither the Pre- nor the Pre3 will stream Pandora continuously without issues, and that's really my main frustration. And my primary use, besides texting/calling/email/web browsing/maps

**THE CONFUSION**

When I start to think about what to do, and I come here to read for advice. What should I try? How do I diagnose my problems? I can't just Doctor and re-Doctor them all away, just as we can't just 'pull the battery' every time the phone acts up. That's not a solution, that's a detour.

Of course I see all the threads with Pre3 problems posted, and I start to wonder if I should give up and move to another OS. But ugh, windows/android/BB? yuk! none of them appeal to me at all. I am not desiring ANYONE else's phone I've seen. I've always loved webOS and the 'pebble' portrait slider hardware. (this is about when I want to launch a nuke at HP for letting it die instead of selling it to someone, anyone who'd have kept it going)

But here is where I also see PLENTY of signature taglines of people who are successfully daily driving various models of Pre. So I KNOW it can be done, and there must be a way to be happy. I'm not asking for the unobtainable (am I??). I don't care about app catalog size, or battery life, or a giant screen, or streaming video, or LTE either.

SO, I ASK OF THOSE WHO ARE HAPPILY DAILY-USING A WEBOS PHONE, please reply here with your suggestion of a rational course of action to follow, so I too can be happy with what I think is the best designed phone I've ever used. seriously!

i sincerely thank anyone who replies. I confess my life is boring and lonely, but the Pre was one of the few things I really found pleasure in. So much so I didn't mind swapping out 5 bad refurbs before getting my good ol' #7. Then Pandora started acting up, maybe Sprint started changing their service, and now I don't know what to do anymore.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Switch the Pre3 to AT&T (assuming it's an AT&T Pre3 and not the UK version?).
Thanked By: TJs10thPre
Old 12/01/2012, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Straight Talk on the AT&T net.

Bring Your Own Phone for the price of a SIM ($15) and the $45/month plan with unlimited everything including 411 calls.

Enjoy H+ NOW not later.

<edit:> Oh... and buy more, not less, webOS hardware.

Your fellow addict,
R
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs10thPre likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Straight Talk on the AT&T net.

Bring Your Own Phone for the price of a SIM ($15) and the $45/month plan with unlimited everything including 411 calls.

Enjoy H+ NOW not later.

<edit:> Oh... and buy more, not less, webOS hardware.

Your fellow addict,
R
i think you're right on switching back to STalk. that's what i first tested on with the Pre3, but i was blaming them for bad connectivity as the cause of my Pandora issues. Since that time, and switching to try T-Mo, I've read a boat load here (of course) about the Pandora issue being pretty widespread, and Apollo coming out as an alternative.

Today I took the Pre's up to Helen, GA, which is in the N. GA mtns. T-Mo svc had no data available; Sprint flopped to 1x most of the time; but I drove past some old skool ATT switch bldg (the kind with no windows) and it had a huge tower next to it. I couldn't help but think that they must have better coverage in rural areas just because they've got such a long history of real estate locations from land-line svc.

i may go ahead and renew my STalk SIM and put it in the Pre3 #2. ugh, for a month that'd be $60 for sprint, $30 for T-Mo and $45 for ATT via ST. i can't do THAT for more than a month but it would be fun to do live 3-carrier tests! maybe after Christmas!

no kidding on more webOS hardware. I've been watching fleabay for another Pre2 or something that can donate a screen to my cracked one. I really dont want to tear the face off my Pre- #7 for it. That phone's been too good to me to pillage it. (did i mention I accidentally took a swim with that phone and it's still goin' strong?)

my sister even tried to bribe me today, with a brand new Galaxy S 2. she wants my upgrade allowance to get a GS3 so she doesn't have to wait a year. crazy me said no thx!
Old 12/01/2012, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
Switch the Pre3 to AT&T (assuming it's an AT&T Pre3 and not the UK version?).
well, Derek that was the original plan. Going by T-Mo's early projections, i thought their H+ was going to be all over ATL by now, which it most certainly is not.

I only lasted on STalk a month because I thought their service was to blame for my constant connection issues with Pandora. I've since learned that it's Pandora that's got the problems with pausing every 6-10 mins, which is unbearable. So knowing that I think I need to ditch the T-Mo plan and try STalk again.

And since I haven't yet been able to get a donor screen for my cracked Pre2 at a bargain price, I really need to stop n' think: fix phones and go backwards, or get the right service and move forward.

it's a tough decision when there's so many differing + and - to each phone. I love 1.4.5 on the Palm phones. It really seems more consistent than 2.2.4. Makes me want to just get a Pre+ and overclock it a bit.

Or, go with the Pre2, and get the features of a Pre3, scaled down a bit.

i have to be patient. this thread only got 2 replies on 300 views, so apparently it's not as clear to anyone else as I hoped it might be. and that's ok.

i wanted to make a decision before i return to work Monday but I have to accept that there isn't a clear path yet as far as choosing one model and running with it. But maybe another test run on STalk, using Apollo and a wired headset may bring a new perspective.
Old 12/01/2012, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
[snip]
i have to be patient. this thread only got 2 replies on 300 views, so apparently it's not as clear to anyone else as I hoped it might be. and that's ok.
[/snip]

Well, it was an informational "overdose" for everyone, and certainly for me it was...

A Pre- is old IMHO, so a Pre+ is something that is baseline for me. A Pre3 seems like a phone whith some good hardware specs, but having bugs that were not ironed out, plus the apps that have to be patched for the correct screen resolution, it just doesn't excite me. But you are not me, so i don't even know what to say.

In any case, good luck with your dilemma. Think carefully
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Well, it was an informational "overdose" for everyone, and certainly for me it was...

A Pre- is old IMHO, so a Pre+ is something that is baseline for me. A Pre3 seems like a phone whith some good hardware specs, but having bugs that were not ironed out, plus the apps that have to be patched for the correct screen resolution, it just doesn't excite me. But you are not me, so i don't even know what to say.

In any case, good luck with your dilemma. Think carefully
being an old parts counter guy from a long time ago, i always provide more info than needed so the first replies aren't just questions asking for more information. that does lead me to get a bit wordy. it is a little long but i wanted to give a clear picture.

it sounds like you're suggesting the middle ground; like repairing the Pre2 and rolling with that. this is what i planned to do before i dropped the one i had. i really liked it the month i was able to use it. i am still considering this path if i find a donor screen for the one i have which was new out of the box.

i'm not lookin' for anyone to read my mind; rather i want to read yours. what's someone not so emotionally and financially invested into it, think about the choices, from a strictly practical viewpoint of Pre hardware and OS. like, what you say about the Pre3 seems very true to me. It may also not seem quite so true to someone who figured out a good batch of patches and work-arounds to config a Pre3 into a reliable DD phone. and if that's the case, i'd be really happy to hear about that from whomever figured it out.

thanks again for replying!
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/02/2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, the screen resolution is something i have thought about quite a bit. I own both a Pre+ and a Nokia N900, which has a high-resolution IPS screen. They are both powered by the same ARM chip, though i don't know what the graphics chip for each would be. The N900 is snappy and beautiful, but there are still times where the high-res screen leads to some lag and stuttering. Then there's power consumption issues, and i've heard of both in the Pre3, so i'm inclined to blame the screen for some of that.

So a higher-resolution screen is a luxury that i wouldn't necessarily want in a DD phone like the Pre. What the Pre has is better than the 2nd gen iPod touch (truly unpleasant pixel size in that one) and quite adequate for everything i do.

In terms of repairing the Pre2, since it doesn't have a front-facing camera or anything, a screen from the Pre+ would work just as well. The gesture area LED is identical and i actually prefer the curved plastic over the 2's glass-and-frame setup, both for looks and relative durability. I think you can find one in good condition for under $30. Furthermore, the 2 uses the same backs and batteries as the - and +, which are quite a bit cheaper than the same parts for the 3, from what i've seen.

So for me, a Franken2 with the sleek Pre+ screen is "it". I care more about the screen surviving a bad drop than having "Gorilla glass".

I hope this helps in some ways
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post

Well, the screen resolution is something i have thought about quite a bit. I own both a Pre+ and a Nokia N900, which has a high-resolution IPS screen. They are both powered by the same ARM chip, though i don't know what the graphics chip for each would be. The N900 is snappy and beautiful, but there are still times where the high-res screen leads to some lag and stuttering. Then there's power consumption issues, and i've heard of both in the Pre3, so i'm inclined to blame the screen for some of that.

So a higher-resolution screen is a luxury that i wouldn't necessarily want in a DD phone like the Pre. What the Pre has is better than the 2nd gen iPod touch (truly unpleasant pixel size in that one) and quite adequate for everything i do.

In terms of repairing the Pre2, since it doesn't have a front-facing camera or anything, a screen from the Pre+ would work just as well. The gesture area LED is identical and i actually prefer the curved plastic over the 2's glass-and-frame setup, both for looks and relative durability. I think you can find one in good condition for under $30. Furthermore, the 2 uses the same backs and batteries as the - and +, which are quite a bit cheaper than the same parts for the 3, from what i've seen.

So for me, a Franken2 with the sleek Pre+ screen is "it". I care more about the screen surviving a bad drop than having "Gorilla glass".

I hope this helps in some ways
it most certainly does. i hadn't thought about the screen itself being part of the power vacuum effect. and no i don't need a hi-res screen that makes the text smaller so i have to pinch-zoom that much more often.

i originally thought the gorilla part meant less likely to break. apparently not. less likely to scratch means poo to me, i keep a screen shield on it that is awesome (Membrane). So i have thought about just putting a Pre + screen on it, to get rid of the nipple but keep the plastic. The screen on my Pre- i've already crazy glued twice around the power port so that's not worth migrating anywhere, but it is scratch-FREE thx to the screen shield.

Your suggestion, fix the Pre2 with a Pre+ screen is a good one, which I have considered. But your reasons why, make it a practical suggestion as well, and i appreciate that very much. Thank you for chimin' in.
Old 12/03/2012, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

There are instructions out there somewhere on how to get the system board out to swap screens. I remember reading them long ago before the Pre2 came out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
There are instructions out there somewhere on how to get the system board out to swap screens. I remember reading them long ago before the Pre2 came out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
i've seen a few of the teardown vids on youtube. that's some real surgery there, but i'm pretty sure i can do it. i don't mind tearing down hardware, it's always the software/programming part that frustrates me.

it's a shame you can't just separate the oreo cookie and put the good halves back together. but nooo, the creamy middle is trickier than it seems!
Old 12/22/2012, 11:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

this thread can be closed.

how'd the story end? i sold my Pre3's in two sets, with 2 spare batteries and a TStone each. Hopefully they've gone to good homes and I do miss them.

I decided to commit to reviving my FrankenPre that's been "in stasis" (off) since I broke the glass. I got another Pre2 and will swap the digitizer from that, and reswap (for the 3rd time) the comm board from my Pre-. Hopefully the surgeries will go well. I may even put the screen from the Pre- on the donor Pre2 body, and have a backup Pre2 with a non-glass screen. Depends how motivated I am this weekend.

thanks to everyone who helped me think this through. happy holidays!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0