webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > App Catalog - webOS Online Services Root Certificate Expiry
App Catalog - webOS Online Services Root Certificate Expiry
Like Tree125Likes

Old 11/24/2012, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was looking at the root certificate for webOS online services, and noticed it expires at ‎July-‎23-‎13 4:30:48 PM. So if HP does not release an updated certificate at that time, and if webOS honors certificate expiries, that means anything that relies on webOS cloud services and a SSL connection will stop working. What does that mean for anyone who might still be using webOS at that time?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hans109h, renater and MartinH@webos like this.
Old 11/26/2012, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very interesting point....
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Interestingly, my Palm profile "tokenExpireTime" in Impostah is 9/30/2021. I guess if the certificate expires and we don't have access, this is irrelevant?

Last edited by davidtm; 11/26/2012 at 11:43 AM.
davidtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

ATT sold those veers with a 2 year contract so I guess technically the phone would not be guaranteed after July 2013.
But isnt Gram using cloud services? If so, what would be the point of cutting off the old webOS users, especially as the shelf life of a phone is probably no more than a year or so after the 2 year contract mark?

More importantly, can someone just reach out to HP/Gram and ask their intentions instead of us spilling endless ink over this issue? I thought open webOS meant that things would be more...Open.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

The problem with the certificate is they're self signed. The root certificates exist only as a part of a webOS distribution, and does not use standard root certificates from the likes of Verisign and others who provide root certificates. That means they can't just stick a new certificate on their server, but have to create new Doctor builds and OTA updates for every single variation of webOS device. The expiration date is actually pretty standard: 5 years for the certificate, starting in 2009 when webOS was first shipped. There's no fault on Palm/HP's part here. The problem is now that all webOS devices are discontinued, there's a diminishing likeliness of them going the trouble and updating the root certificate in a timely manner, or if at all. Best case is for them to recognize that right now and be prepared to update all devices with a new root certificate, probable case being we're denied cloud services for a couple of months until they can figure out how to do OTA while devices refuse connection with their servers (AFAIK OTA is done over SSL, though I don't know whether they're using the self-signed root certificate or a well known one). Worst case is they'll forget about us entirely and we'll have to replace all their cloud services with our own.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 11/26/2012, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well can someone reach out to Enda McGrath and ask?
Old 11/26/2012, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Got it, will report back when I know more.

thanks
endamcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vgg, xandros9, eblade and 2 others like this.
Old 11/26/2012, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endamcgrath View Post
Got it, will report back when I know more.

thanks
Thanks. Appreciate your responsiveness to this issue.
Old 11/26/2012, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I sent an email to one of my Palm contacts as well.
Thanked by bluenote, Buddy1969, xandros9
Old 11/27/2012, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
The problem with the certificate is they're self signed. The root certificates exist only as a part of a webOS distribution, and does not use standard root certificates from the likes of Verisign and others who provide root certificates. That means they can't just stick a new certificate on their server, but have to create new Doctor builds and OTA updates for every single variation of webOS device. The expiration date is actually pretty standard: 5 years for the certificate, starting in 2009 when webOS was first shipped. There's no fault on Palm/HP's part here. The problem is now that all webOS devices are discontinued, there's a diminishing likeliness of them going the trouble and updating the root certificate in a timely manner, or if at all. Best case is for them to recognize that right now and be prepared to update all devices with a new root certificate, probable case being we're denied cloud services for a couple of months until they can figure out how to do OTA while devices refuse connection with their servers (AFAIK OTA is done over SSL, though I don't know whether they're using the self-signed root certificate or a well known one). Worst case is they'll forget about us entirely and we'll have to replace all their cloud services with our own.
If necessary, we can distribute a self-signed webOS cloud services root certificate update via Preware.

In fact, when you install Preware you also install the WebOS Internals root certificate. Our root certificate expires in Dec 2019 - we figured webOS would be around for twice as long as Palm did ...

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by ktessner, vgg, Grabber5.0 and 6 others like this.
Old 11/27/2012, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

So I will get 2.2.5 on my Pre 3 after all?
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
So I will get 2.2.5 on my Pre 3 after all?
Only for a Certifikat ? Don't think so!
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
...In fact, when you install Preware you also install the WebOS Internals root certificate. Our root certificate expires in Dec 2019...
*...starts calculating battery horde needed to carry devices into 2019...*
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0, xandros9 and TJs11thPre like this.
Old 05/22/2013, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wanted to bring attention to GMMan's point: Webos Update 2.2.4 2211

Quote:
Sidenote: Keep in mind webOS cloud services certificates are due to expire next month; it's reported that HP is doing something about it, so I'd expect an update within the next month, lest pandemonium breaks out with people unable to access App Catalog and updates backups.
Perhaps those more knowledgeable or in the loop have some insight on what to expect with this? Bad enough all the APIs are breaking out from under our feet. Hate to see webOS official bits breaking too.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, RumoredNow and 1 others like this.
Thanked by RumoredNow, xandros9
Old 05/22/2013, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 05/22/2013, 11:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Be sure to make backups before update comes and check that sync to your synergy services work correctly. Wouldn't be the first time webOS updates fail with dataloss on some devices.

I would prefer a simple certificate downloadlink instead of a "full" webOS OTA update for a longtime discontinued product without live support.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2013, 11:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

any new info on this?

I would prefer a simple certificate downloadlink or Preware package instead of a "full" webOS OTA update for a longtime discontinued product without live support. OTA updates could render a few devices to doctor-needed state combined with dataloss when backup failed.
Old 05/22/2013, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

btw Derek: this could be worth a frontpage article to gain some buzz in the community.

And perhaps app purchases should be done soon, if HP forgets us or blews it again no more official app-catalog will be there
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 05/23/2013, 12:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wow. Didn't realize GMMan was on it this far back!

Indeed. An article to draw some attention might be helpful, though it sounds like there's reason to believe a bump will happen. Maybe they can even include the 2.2.5 bump that Steffes found and worked on recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
probable case being we're denied cloud services for a couple of months until they can figure out how to do OTA while devices refuse connection with their servers (AFAIK OTA is done over SSL, though I don't know whether they're using the self-signed root certificate or a well known one)
The eventuality of this paradox would make for many sad pandas.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2013, 01:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Wow. Didn't realize GMMan was on it this far back!

Indeed. An article to draw some attention might be helpful, though it sounds like there's reason to believe a bump will happen. Maybe they can even include the 2.2.5 bump that Steffes found and worked on recently?
There is absolutely no reason to believe a bump will happen.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary