Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    In any case, we shouldn't count on HP for fixing this. Anyone who does is naive.

(yes, that is sarcasm because that's what people here tell me everytime I try to have a little faith in webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    So even if HP get's an update out before July, how can an till august unopened / unactivated device with 2.2.4 update to this new version/certificate if installed cloud certificate fails at this point of time?
    Thanks for bringing up this issue.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $we$ $are$ $facing$ $the$ $same$ $issue$ $for$ $all$ $webos$ $devices$ ($phones$ $on$ $1$.$x$ $and$ $2$.$x$ $and$ $TouchPad$ $on$ $3$.$x$).
    I still have unopened Pre3 and TouchPad boxes around that I kept for later use. Looks like I need to unbox and activate these devices soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    [Actually, since I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, there is a small possibility that there could be a server-side fix for this problem ... but I'd have to know the details of HP's server-side implementation to be sure.]
    A server-side fix would be best for all. Looking forward to see progress here and to hear something from HP.
    I think HP has to do something here else the HP webos app store dies.
    Well, someone can always send a fedex letter to Meg Whitman. Would probably cost $10.
    Include direct signature so someone has to sign for it.

What would be the text of the letter?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Well, someone can always send a fedex letter to Meg Whitman. Would probably cost $10.
    Include direct signature so someone has to sign for it.

What would be the text of the letter?
    Enda from HP has already acknowledged receipt of this issue in this very thread back in November 2012.

There is no question that HP is and has been fully aware of this issue and it's impact since then.

I think the fact that it has not been solved in 5 months shows the priority that HP places on it, and should guide your expectations of a fix coming from HP in the next 2 months.

i expect that on the day after the certificate expires (i.e. when the **** hits the fan), HP will create a new self-signed certificate, and provide it to WebOS Internals to distribute through Preware. There is no way that I can see HP risking an OTA roll-out of a fix. In fact, I doubt that HP still has staff able to perform such a roll-out.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    xandros9 likes this.
    In fact, they need carrier approval for the roll-out because not all webOS devices are unlocked devices. And I don't see them approve this, even if they'd still have a little faith in HP people on locked devices would still have to wait for months then till the carriers approve.
    Hummm... somebody knows what is the diference between a activated and a never-activated-but-bypassed device, forgeting the profile backup and the apps from catalog? There is something more?

And I just need some tool do make a local backup of my profile..

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I expect that on the day after the certificate expires (i.e. when the **** hits the fan), HP will create a new self-signed certificate, and provide it to WebOS Internals to distribute through Preware. There is no way that I can see HP risking an OTA roll-out of a fix. In fact, I doubt that HP still has staff able to perform such a roll-out.

-- Rod
    Enabling dev mod and installing preware is 'likely to void your warranty', isnt it? . Would be really funny if they have to rely on a "non recommended channel" to fix their s***
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Enabling dev mod and installing preware is 'likely to void your warranty', isnt it? . Would be really funny if they have to rely on a "non recommended channel" to fix their s***
    It wouldn't be the first time ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    It wouldn't be the first time ...

-- Rod
    Yeah I know. There is even a section in the user manual that says "if you need more apps visit precentral.net" or something similar. But I think it would be the first time the would officially have to endorse and provide instructions to install homebrew. Because not all the users are supposed to have preware installed.
    Maybe in return you can try to negotiate App tuckerbox and beta feeds access. ;-)
    I suppose we can debate how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin and clutching active webOS devices. How many of us there are would certainly be a useful number to know for the campaigns & funding rounds that will no doubt continue to be required. This number must also be a factor in HP's decision on renewing the certificate.

I wonder if HP have the ability to contact every device - with an instruction on how to update if they are unable to do it automatically.

There maybe a potential advantage of an update going through Preware: Let's say every device owner is alerted to perform an update.

1. If the alert was a link to an instruction page on webosnation, every webOS user will find that there is a support community they can join.
    2. Every webOS user will HAVE to install WOSQI/Preware and become aware of the significant and customisable upgrades available.
    3. Er... Profit? Well, maybe not, but every active user will have to show up here at least once and install homebrew. That process can come with information about Preware, OWOS, ACL, CM9/10, the 'state of the nation' and so on. EVERYONE who would support webOS can be informed and choose to participate.

If anything of mine breaks, the first thing I do is... Google it of course! If a solution is supplied, an article here entitled, "How to fix your webOS device's link to the cloud" (or whatever the likely search term would be) might have a similar effect to an HP 'broadcast' - especially if we all googled/binged/etc the title to push it up the rankings.

The question over unactivated devices remains, but I suspect anyone buying (and maybe selling) these 2 year old devices will likely have an idea of what they're buying - I mean the average consumer will ask, "What's webOS?" before moving right along to the Android or iphone categories.

I currently use the back up procedure here: The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation to do a full back up and copy it to the PC with MS SyncToy (set to skip the 'don't copy' folders in the article). This however, still relies on backing up to HP for the profile data I think.

My question is:
    If HP drop webOS at this point (I doubt it, but...), can a patch be created to point devices to another server? I'm thinking of the servers given by HP to webOS-ports / internals which I presume reside on their Secret Island Base somewhere in the Pacific. Of course, I hope those servers are running at full capacity for Open webOS right now and again, the number of current users (?) may exceed the capacity anyway (no idea how much data would be involved). Maybe PIC would decide that offering a backend service would be a logical step to providing a front end device. Maybe a small charge for one's own bit of space will be necessary. These are possibilities for the less tech savvy, but perhaps another option would be the ability to back up our profiles to our own computers or servers - manually or automatically.

I suppose the question of HP/Palm's certificate implementation arises, but I'd hope that HP at a bare minimum would share the details with those here who could do something useful with the information.

To end on an optimistic note, HP DID open source webOS - which gave it a chance to survive. They have offered support and equipment to the Internals teams and yes, have stated that they will support webOS. I suspect they may allow it to die as devices fail and inevitably get upgraded from as they become truly outmoded, but I'd be surprised if they actually kill it - it may be that LG may want (or may HAVE) to use HP for any backend services also.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/24/2013 at 10:38 AM.
    I would like my Verizon Pre3 to work as a backup device in case my 4G daily driver fails. As more people jump from 3G, the network will be less congested and Verizon might drop the price of their plan so I intend to keep my Pre3 for awhile.

Rod, appreciate your keeping on top of this and I will check in for your instructions as the time of expiration nears.

Thanks!
    Enda from HP has already acknowledged receipt of this issue in this very thread back in November 2012.

There is no question that HP is and has been fully aware of this issue and it's impact since then.

I think the fact that it has not been solved in 5 months shows the priority that HP places on it, and should guide your expectations of a fix coming from HP in the next 2 months.
    Ah, Enda's chime in: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3364994

Then back again to another of GMMan's nudges that was more recent (late February): Challenge for LG: Root Certificates

Which elicited the response: https://twitter.com/endamcgrath/stat...49508647190528

Wouldn't hurt for someone to tweet Enda again, politely nudging for an update on the issue since we're halfway between that tweet and the deadline now.

Man, I sold a Veer to someone a few weeks back to someone new to webOS. I'd feel horrible if this falls through for those outside of the innermost community.
    Last edited by ananimus; 05/24/2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Just to be sure, does this affect ALL devices 1.x to 3.x? Or has the TouchPad a newer cert we could get on the other devices?
    HP could reverse date on their authentication servers. Hope they still have staff capable for such solution
    Remy X and Pilotovef like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I would like my Verizon Pre3 to work as a backup device in case my 4G daily driver fails. As more people jump from 3G, the network will be less congested and Verizon might drop the price of their plan so I intend to keep my Pre3 for awhile.

Rod, appreciate your keeping on top of this and I will check in for your instructions as the time of expiration nears.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I wanna keep using my Pre 3 too, especially since 4G is quiet new here so it's not worth jumping ship yet just for that. Unless my Pre 3 dies all of a sudden (it's already dying little by little).
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Rod(tradamus) -

Is this the webOS apocalypse you foresaw in 2011 when you suggested the steps laid out in "The webOS Survival Kit"? If so, I will follow those steps and then wait at the survival bunker for further instructions. If not, I will practice running down the street frantically waiving my hands in the air and screaming "the End is near!"
    Btw besides Rods guide, there was an appcatalog patch for downloading apps for later install without catalog somewhere in this forum. Perhaps it's time to use this now, if i just could find it...
    Last edited by gizmo21; 05/24/2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    Rod(tradamus) -

Is this the webOS apocalypse you foresaw in 2011 when you suggested the steps laid out in "The webOS Survival Kit"? If so, I will follow those steps and then wait at the survival bunker for further instructions.
    If HP don't fix this, then yes it is.

-- Rod
    Rnp likes this.
    Btw besides Rods guide, there was an appcatalog patch for downloading apps for later install without catalog somewhere in this forum. Perhaps it's time to use this now, if i just could find it...
    It is indeed time to use that patch and offline backup all your apps in the next two months.

-- Rod
    Remy X and xandros9 like this.

It is indeed time to use that patch and offline backup all your apps in the next two months.

-- Rod

[How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog
    Rnp likes this.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast