webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > I need INGRESS
I need INGRESS
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By Vity Traff
  • 1 Post By Vity Traff
  • 1 Post By Vity Traff
  • 2 Post By sledge007

Old 11/15/2012, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Please someone tell me webOS homebrew is still up to joining like this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roject.ingress

Ingress - It's time to Move. - YouTube
Old 11/15/2012, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

i wonder if this will end up another version of the playstation Near(tm) which sounds great at first then when you have it, you find its totally useless and confusing and dare i say it, pointless.
Old 11/16/2012, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Alternate reAlity game, with phones as a big part of it. Something that needed to be done.

Sounds like from the end ofthevideo, they are setting themselves up for never finishing it, never getting to the ending.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Please someone tell me webOS homebrew is still up to joining like this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roject.ingress

Ingress - It's time to Move. - YouTube
Yeah, no, that's not happening on webOS. Not only would webOS devices run slow as molasses on an app like this, not a single developer has created an augmented reality app for the platform, which is a hell of a lot more involved than just knowing web development, Enyo, or Mojo since it'd have to make wide use of the PDK (which it seems nobody even uses anymore).

Not to mention it was built by Google, for Android and iOS devices only. That about says it all right there in terms of platform support. Your only real choice is to go to one of those two platforms to something like Ingress.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 01:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Yeah, no, that's not happening on webOS. Not only would webOS devices run slow as molasses on an app like this, not a single developer has created an augmented reality app for the platform, which is a hell of a lot more involved than just knowing web development, Enyo, or Mojo since it'd have to make wide use of the PDK (which it seems nobody even uses anymore).

Not to mention it was built by Google, for Android and iOS devices only. That about says it all right there in terms of platform support. Your only real choice is to go to one of those two platforms to something like Ingress.
i think on their site or google play, can't remember where, but I'm sure they stated its also jusst for smartphones, no tablets, which would be a far less chance for webOS anyways.
Old 11/22/2012, 01:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

How can yuo tell if this is interesting or fun at all? Just because it comes from a huge corporation?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 06:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Different strokes for different folks....Some people love playing Asphalt 7 on their phones....all it does is give me vertigo every time I try and play it....Glad I only paid a quarter for it. I've already seen a write up on this, and didn't give it much thought until I saw this thread. Waiting for a passcode, I'll let you know what I think when/if I ever get it.

As far as running "slow as molasses", I'm not entirely sure that would be the case. I don't think.....I could be wrong...that this is something as graphically complex as something like Tom Clancy HAWX.....another game that was good, that I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without wanting to hurl. Seems more like a fancier version of Foursquare.

Whatever the case may be...we'll see and I'll let you know. The iOS version is "in the pipe" so who knows what sort of timeline that could be.

Various discussions of why this app/game was created. If you're the type of person that worries about putting on your tinfoil hat before leaving the house....then this certainly isn't for you. From the few articles I've read on it, the best plausible scenario for the "why" is they are improving Streetview, from everyday users. Part of the "game" involves taking pictures at certain GPS locations and uploading them. Possible it gives you a certain angle to take the picture at and with all the uploads, could make Streetview/GoogleEarth update in real-time.

Not that it really matters, but would be interesting nonetheless. My neighbor's roof has been blue for the last year, but search on Google Earth, and it's still red.
Old 11/23/2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i think on their site or google play, can't remember where, but I'm sure they stated its also jusst for smartphones, no tablets, which would be a far less chance for webOS anyways.
You'd have a tough sell asking someone to create an app like INGRESS for the 0.10% (or whatever) of Touchpads that were 4G w/GPS, since a Wi-Fi model w/o GPS would be completely worthless playing this game. Nobody makes games targeted for devices that require tethering to use, much less one that requires GPS and data tethering. Nor does the Touchpad even have a decent camera or a camera in the back for framing shots.

So, that's pretty much a no-go from the first sentence onward.

The only reasonable target audience then would be the webOS phones, but as I mentioned, they couldn't handle it nor do they even have the audience left to make it feasible in the first place. (And this isn't some project a bunch of homebrew folks could just patch together a client for, either, so OP's idea is a bit unrealistic.)
Old 11/24/2012, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Various discussions of why this app/game was created. If you're the type of person that worries about putting on your tinfoil hat before leaving the house....then this certainly isn't for you. From the few articles I've read on it, the best plausible scenario for the "why" is they are improving Streetview, from everyday users.
from what ive read from beta users currently its a nice "game" that just so happens to get the public at large to wander all over the place taking snaps of things google just happen to require to make their pedestrian mapping systems to the standard of their nav maps.

dont get me wrong tho, its a genious idea, it just seems as a "game" it will need to offer a lot or end up being reduced to getting some novelty use then abandoned.
Old 11/24/2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
webOS has never been terribly efficient with PDK apps, the GPS, nor the camera (and let's not even mention its lack of auto-focus).

Now, combine the three into a hypothetical version of INGRESS for webOS and you have yourself a battery-killing, too-many-cards throwing washed-out mess with a HUD that, on a good day, tells you that your current position is about 200 feet from where you're really at--assuming the GPS locked on at all if you're on Verizon. And if you're pre-paid, I hope you paid for enough data to go with that.

Not...the best of ideas. I'd say the same about comparable years-old Android phones, so I'm being an equal-opportunity realist here. This is a game for devices with the heft to actually handle all of those functions simultaneously without leaving you stranded without service within an hour.

Preł has AutoFocus
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 and mattmers like this.
Thanked by mattmers, sledge007
Old 11/24/2012, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, I'm aware the Preł has autofocus, but I didn't include it because it was aborted by HP in America; it's a ghost in the mobile device machine, more or less.

I'm talking about released devices, so it's not exactly a suitable target for an app like this, especially when even a sizable portion of webOS developers didn't even bother making their apps Preł compatible because of the state of webOS and the crazy low number of Preł users.

"Reasonable" means much more than just hardware specs, and even then, reasonable doesn't mean "feasible."

Last edited by dignitary; 11/24/2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11/25/2012, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware the Preł has autofocus, but I didn't include it because it was aborted by HP in America; it's a ghost in the mobile device machine, more or less.

I'm talking about released devices, so it's not exactly a suitable target for an app like this, especially when even a sizable portion of webOS developers didn't even bother making their apps Preł compatible because of the state of webOS and the crazy low number of Preł users.

"Reasonable" means much more than just hardware specs, and even then, reasonable doesn't mean "feasible."
I'm the happy owner of a Preł

More seriously I tend to agree with you. Altough I dont think there are technical limitations to a device like the Preł to run an like this it just doesnt make any sense. If a dev has the skills and time to make it I'd rather prefer him to make something more usefull for webOS than an app for a Geeky Geocaching. And AFAIK Mountain View didn't release any API for this project
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 11/25/2012, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

Various discussions of why this app/game was created. If you're the type of person that worries about putting on your tinfoil hat before leaving the house....then this certainly isn't for you. From the few articles I've read on it, the best plausible scenario for the "why" is they are improving Streetview, from everyday users. Part of the "game" involves taking pictures at certain GPS locations and uploading them. Possible it gives you a certain angle to take the picture at and with all the uploads, could make Streetview/GoogleEarth update in real-time.

Not that it really matters, but would be interesting nonetheless. My neighbor's roof has been blue for the last year, but search on Google Earth, and it's still red.
All Your Energy Belongs to US!!!
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 12/29/2012, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

Got my invite today, and went downtown and played around for about an hour or so. For the record .....there is NO camera involved at all.

Here's a couple of screenshots of typically what you're looking at while playing. When you press COMM, in the bottom right hand corner, a feed pops up with ALL and FACTION chats....and essentially that's about it.

I spent the majority of my time attacking 4 portals. that were in a group within 100m (300ft) in a line. You have to wait 5 minutes between attacks, or you lose Exotic Matter (energy) for nothing. You also have to walk around and collect more XM or you don't have enough power to continue the attacks, and there's a fair amount of walking that you have to do to collect this.

The area I was in was a city park, with walk/bike ways so driving around really wasn't an option....there were other portals, but these ones were level 1s, which seemed easiest to attack.

I imagine I would have appeared a little "unusual" walking back and forth between these 4 sculptures that are the portals... and I actually ran into some opposing players that yelled out at me to "Stay away from our portals". They continued on walking, and turned around once they realized I had already stolen all the XP from the area. We had a quick chat, and went on our merry ways. Kinda funny.

Added a screenshot from my PC at home. This is how you know where to go when you're out in the open. You can only see your local vicinity while in the game on your phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ingressss.jpeg (87.0 KB, 10 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpeg ingressssssss.jpeg (95.8 KB, 8 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Selection_001.jpg (210.0 KB, 4 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by sledge007; 12/31/2012 at 05:35 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary and mattmers like this.
Thanked By: mattmers

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0