webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Windows 8 PC and webOS Legacy Devices
Windows 8 PC and webOS Legacy Devices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani

Old 11/14/2012, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I've been transitioning over to Windows 8 Pro over the last few days.

Why not a thread for questions/problems/solutions for interfacing our legacy hardware with this up to date PC OS?

So far I like it. The Metro interface does offer some advantages. Snap is akin to cards in some ways and the Live Tiles are nice.

Anyone else making the transition to Win 8 for PC?

You can get a $39.99 Upgrade from M$FT, which is dirt cheep. Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows NOTE: that Vista and XP users will not retain files during the upgrade, but Win 7 users will.

Also you can get free Media Center and/or upgrade to Pro on new PC installs until Jan 31, 2013. Add features - Microsoft Windows
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Now for the inevitable problem...

I installed Java (which only works in desktop mode) and it put me at v7u9 with Chrome. No worries there.

Universal novacom Installer failed. I initialized the Doctor and that installed novacom for me. So that went alright.

I ran WOSQI 4.4.0. It detected my Pre 2 and I installed a package with it both off the desktop and via Preware so all is good there.

The issue I've yet to solve is USB tethering. I found the "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" drivers. They have moved them.

It used to be Device Manager > USB Ethernet Gadget > right click and select Update Driver > Browse My Computer > Let Me Pick From List > Network Adapter > Microsoft Corporation > Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device > Install

The Wiki on this said formerly Microsoft Corporation - do not look under (just) Microsoft. Now on Win 8 the driver is under (just) Microsoft...

So: Device Manager > USB Ethernet Gadget > right click and select Update Driver > Browse My Computer > Let Me Pick From List > Network Adapter > Microsoft > Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device > Install

I installed the driver, enabled USBPassthrough, fired up freetether... Nothing. It connects my Pre 2 to the PC, but no internet.

I poked at the configurations, but could not see where it is going wrong. I left it all at the default settings.

Any advice/help???
Old 11/14/2012, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Update: all the legacy Python modules installed so I should be able to run Dogbert's Method if need be.

Honestly, of all the software I had on Win 7 64bit, only Avira didn't make the transition - so now I'm on Avast!.

Not a bad deal...

Now if I can only get USB tethering to work.
Old 11/14/2012, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Update: all the legacy Python modules installed so I should be able to run Dogbert's Method if need be.

Honestly, of all the software I had on Win 7 64bit, only Avira didn't make the transition - so now I'm on Avast!.

Not a bad deal...

Now if I can only get USB tethering to work.
Win8 has built in Security Essentials, no?

I tried Win 8 and I liked it... provided I'm on a touchscreen machine. Using it without a touchscreen sucks balls. Since I just built a new machine and have no intention on getting new monitors... Win 7 it is for me.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/14/2012, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Win8 has built in Security Essentials, no?

I tried Win 8 and I liked it... provided I'm on a touchscreen machine. Using it without a touchscreen sucks balls. Since I just built a new machine and have no intention on getting new monitors... Win 7 it is for me.
Win 8 does have Security Essentials built in (rebranded as Windows Defender), but I won't rely solely on that. The reviews I studied say the detection and removal rates are a bit below the best freeware. I've long relied on Avira and was sad it didn't make the transition yet. I've heard good things about Avast! Time will tell.

I installed on a Gateway NV53 laptop. Lack of touch isn't really cramping my style. The navigation is pretty easy to get used to...

Granted, a touch panel all-in-one would really be the best way to go. And then maybe dual boot Open webOS PE.
Old 11/15/2012, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm... USB Tethering. I don't have a Pre or Windows 8 to test it on (I have a buggy installation of Win8 on VirtualBox, but it sucks). Maybe you can locate if there's some sort of network device showing up in Network and Sharing Center, providing you can even find the darn control panel.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Hmm... USB Tethering. I don't have a Pre or Windows 8 to test it on (I have a buggy installation of Win8 on VirtualBox, but it sucks). Maybe you can locate if there's some sort of network device showing up in Network and Sharing Center, providing you can even find the darn control panel.
It does show a network and the diagnose button didn't solve the issue...

I'll be poking at it in my spare time and will report back.
Old 11/15/2012, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You can get a $39.99 Upgrade from M$FT, which is dirt cheep. Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows NOTE: that Vista and XP users will not retain files during the upgrade, but Win 7 users will.
Or for $14.99 if you purchased a new computer after June (I think)... I bought a new laptop and a new desktop (needed the laptop for school, and my desktop died)...

And retaining files, settings, programs, etc. isn't always the best idea (in my opinion). I find it better to make a backup of all my crap (files) and then find all the programs and drivers I need, and do a clean install... Less ways for something to break
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
Or for $14.99 if you purchased a new computer after June (I think)... I bought a new laptop and a new desktop (needed the laptop for school, and my desktop died)...

And retaining files, settings, programs, etc. isn't always the best idea (in my opinion). I find it better to make a backup of all my crap (files) and then find all the programs and drivers I need, and do a clean install... Less ways for something to break
Oh I agree... I did a clean install as well. I was quoting upgrade prices for the budget minded. Clean install is ALWAYS preferred.
Old 11/15/2012, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Win 8 does have Security Essentials built in (rebranded as Windows Defender), but I won't rely solely on that. The reviews I studied say the detection and removal rates are a bit below the best freeware. I've long relied on Avira and was sad it didn't make the transition yet. I've heard good things about Avast! Time will tell.

I installed on a Gateway NV53 laptop. Lack of touch isn't really cramping my style. The navigation is pretty easy to get used to...

Granted, a touch panel all-in-one would really be the best way to go. And then maybe dual boot Open webOS PE.
Hmm... when you say solely I hope you're not installing both at the same time. One machine should never have more than one anti-virus running at once. If anything installing 3rd party anti-virus automatically disables any built in ones.

As for Security Essentials, I've never really had detection issues with it. But then again I'm careful with what I'm browsing.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Anyone tried Splashtop remote on Windows 8? Should work nicely or?

Would it save me buying a touchpanel?

Last edited by renater; 11/16/2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: saving
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renater View Post
Anyone tried Splashtop remote on Windows 8? Should work nicely or?

Would it save me buying a touchpanel?
Renater, It works, but isn't a great experience. I assumes you are still using a mouse, so your finger is the cursor onscreen. It's also a little cramped for me as I have a 22" screen and a 9.7" touchpad. All icons etc are very small so makes the accuracy a little tricky.

Nice to play with, but to use full time is a no no.
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: renater
Old 11/16/2012, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Hmm... when you say solely I hope you're not installing both at the same time. One machine should never have more than one anti-virus running at once. If anything installing 3rd party anti-virus automatically disables any built in ones.

As for Security Essentials, I've never really had detection issues with it. But then again I'm careful with what I'm browsing.
Solely.... Merely... *shrug*

I meant that M$FT might not be the best judge of their own vulnerabilities.

It's like auto safety and recalls. It would never happen if it weren't for outside agencies.

I run Windows because it is convenient, not because I'm a devoted believer.
Old 11/16/2012, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I am sort of kicking around the idea of getting a touch panel monitor to add in for when my laptop is in the den (where it spends almost all its life).

I could have a 2 monitor setup. One for Desktop (on the laptop screen) and one for the Start Screen (on the touch panel).

Anyone know of a good, inexpensive Touch monitor in about the 17" range with 16:9 aspect ratio and the minimum resolution (1366 x 768) required for Snap functionality???
Old 11/21/2012, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Windows 8 locks down a lot of the network hardware from low-level access for security concerns. I have a Ceton InfiniTV quad tuner with network tuner sharing, and in Windows 8 sharing tuners over Ethernet is no longer available due to those security constraints.

I'd imagine same same restriction is what's keeping you from tethering, and there's no way around it. I refuse to switch to Windows 8 until they open it up; Windows is just becoming more and more locked down (something people on webOS seem to hate) with each new release and it's rather disappointing.

So, until Microsoft gets its **** together, I'm sticking with Win7 x64 Ultimate. I don't need a gimmicky touchscreen bolt-on to a venerable desktop OS if it does away with core functionality we've enjoyed for more than a decade, and that's precisely what Windows 8 is doing. Windows RT is one thing, but the desktop? No go, and I'm surprised to see even one webOS user cool with it when complaints about Android and iOS "lack of openness" is such an issue around here.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0