webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Portrait slider sighting?
Portrait slider sighting?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 11/13/2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

What the heck is this?

Live Tweet Windows 8 Questions to @Windows and @HPSupport #w... - HP Support Forum

Going to try and link the image:

Is this a current HP device? I didn't know of any portrait sliders out there other than... well you know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (453.2 KB, 14 views) Email Attachment

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I see the following in here:
Glossy black plastic back.
Camera off to one side and maybe a hole for flash.
Some weird notchy looking thing with the top of the slider. Front-facing camera perhaps?
Some sort of side buttons... not clear in the picture.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Old 11/13/2012, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd wager it's some stock photography. It's a live tweet for Win8 and nothing else so that's merely a call to action to fire up twitter on your phone or whatever device. I could be wrong of course....
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

weird choice of a portrait slider in todays current market...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't recognize that at all. maybe a torch?

other than that, it either is a dumbphone or doesn't exist
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
Don't recognize that at all. maybe a torch?

other than that, it either is a dumbphone or doesn't exist
Or maybe it's the "Bender" ?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I guess there is a good chance it's just a shell... but man I wonder if the world is ready for a portrait slider with a 4" screen? I think that could be awesome if they can nail the slider mechanism.

Old 11/14/2012, 01:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Let's see here, who made primarily portrait sliders? Palm and Research In Motion. I don't think there's much of a market there, really.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Let's see here, who made primarily portrait sliders? Palm and Research In Motion. I don't think there's much of a market there, really.
I was curious about this so i did some research on the Verizon and AT&T websites. Ignoring Research In Motion phones, AT&T only sold one smartphone with a physical keyboard, the Samsung Captivate and it had a horizontal keyboard. Verizon did slightly better selling 3 models with a physical keyboard, the Droid 4, The Samsung Stratosphere, and The LG Enlighten. All those had horizontal keyboards as well. And only one phone was LTE, The Stratosphere on Verizon. I think its a tough market for phones with physical keyboards and extra tough for portrait sliders. They just aren't that hot.
Old 11/14/2012, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
We are to the point now where we can leave the portrait and slider out of the equation and just say physical keyboards are pretty much dead.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/14/2012, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
We are to the point now where we can leave the portrait and slider out of the equation and just say physical keyboards are pretty much dead.
This always makes me angry too.

Physical keyboards are only dead for the same reason you can only get white bathroom suites - because manufacturers have decided so. They can't be bothered producing any more than a screen and/or they're just doing what Apple does. I can't believe the claims they make that no one wants keyboards because I don't know anyone who actually prefers typing on a screen. And judging by the often impenetrable messages I get from friends on Android and iOS, I can't believe claims that they're better either.

I used shout at the TV when I saw the iPad advert showing someone touch typing on it - it's just impossible without relying totally on autocorrect!

Duck you Apple, you bunch of aunts.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked by eblade, OldSkoolVWLover
Old 11/14/2012, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

I have no clue. The BlackBerry Torch line all have the same set-up as the Pre series, in that the camera is on the bottom half. I can't figure out what phone that is - every slider smartphone I can think of has the camera mounted on the bottom half of the slider. Might be that it's stock photography (wouldn't surprise me) and not a smartphone.
Old 11/14/2012, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

can only speak for myself but I don't think i'll ever go back to a physical keyboard. My Pre minus keyboard developed broken letters and was the most frustrating thing ever to have keys stuck. It's really hard to make sense when letter e, o, n and r never register. I kept typing gibberish. From then on i said never again and was a bit disappointed when the next year that palm did not launched a slab. Funny cause a big reason I got a pre was because it had a physical keyboard. I switched to a slab and love it. I adjusted instantly and now prefer no keyboard. Prefer the slimmer design in my pocket.
Old 11/14/2012, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just a note regarding keyboards: I really dislike touch keyboards because how touchscreens have problems differentiating between two touches that are close together. It has happened on every device I tried with a touch keyboard. If you try to press two letter that are very close to each other with only a slight bit of time in between (like typing "the", it usually only registers the second letter ("he"). Especially annoying on the TP when I'm trying to type a capital Z or A because only the Shift will register and not the actual letter.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
What the heck is this?

Live Tweet Windows 8 Questions to @Windows and @HPSupport #w... - HP Support Forum

Going to try and link the image:
Click to view quoted image

Is this a current HP device? I didn't know of any portrait sliders out there other than... well you know
that's most likely an old dumb phone. here's what i see:

the books are facing the wrong way. when you mirror flip the image you can read her handwritten flags correctly. one says "LACAN". she appears to be a french psychology student.

the phone has a pressed logo (not screen printed) that's a long word, eliminating LG, HTC, motorola 'wings', and is very Samsung-like. I searched ebayUK for black slider with camera and saw quite a few older Samsungs with a pressed logo, rather than a printed one like they all appear to have now.

the older Sams like D900 and earlier, have a similar lump on the top of the front oreo half, like this does. The unique feature is the asymmetrical dent in it, which is now on the right side of the phone. the top may also not be a camera; that does resemble the ATT circle logo with letters to the right.

either way, it appears that's an old stock photo, not a new portrait slider.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 06:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

something like this?
Old 11/15/2012, 07:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
something like this?
Click to view quoted image
looks like a slider version of my old old samsung e330 clamshell phone I had aaaaages ago.
Old 11/15/2012, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am using a touch screen keyboard now too on my razr maxx. I've gotten used to it and may even be faster at typing with it. But still prefer the vertical portrait keyboard, As there is just something very satisfying and reassuring when you use a physical keyboard.

Sadly there is no market for such devices because everyone wanted to copy the iphone.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 11:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
can only speak for myself but I don't think i'll ever go back to a physical keyboard. My Pre minus keyboard developed broken letters and was the most frustrating thing ever to have keys stuck. It's really hard to make sense when letter e, o, n and r never register. I kept typing gibberish. From then on i said never again and was a bit disappointed when the next year that palm did not launched a slab. Funny cause a big reason I got a pre was because it had a physical keyboard. I switched to a slab and love it. I adjusted instantly and now prefer no keyboard. Prefer the slimmer design in my pocket.
I have to say almost 2 years on Sprint Pre, a year+ on a Pre3 some Veer and Pre2 use, wife 2 years on Sprint Pre, year+ on Pre2, and some time on a Veer. Haven't had one keyboard physically break or be defective other than some double typed letters on my Pre3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just a note regarding keyboards: I really dislike touch keyboards because how touchscreens have problems differentiating between two touches that are close together. It has happened on every device I tried with a touch keyboard. If you try to press two letter that are very close to each other with only a slight bit of time in between (like typing "the", it usually only registers the second letter ("he"). Especially annoying on the TP when I'm trying to type a capital Z or A because only the Shift will register and not the actual letter.
Yeah I have had issues on TouchPad in webOS and CM9.
Old 11/15/2012, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

still a fan of physical keyboards, weird as im a bit of a big handed geek.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0