webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Portrait slider sighting?
Portrait slider sighting?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 11/15/2012, 03:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

At least Android will let you install Swype-like apps. Not iOS. My wife just retired her Pre minus that she owned since release day for an iPhone 5, and wow, she haaaaaaates that virtual keyboard big-time.
grappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 03:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

My 2 year old Pre keyboard is getting a bit flaky, but probably nothing I couldn't fix by cleaning around the keys or taking it apart and blowing the cobwebs out. I used an EVO long enough to get used to a virtual keyboard, but I still prefer real keys.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 03:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

how about asking Hugh Whitaker about the phone

Student Using Cell Phone On Steps Lizenzfreies Bild | Getty Images Deutschland | 136591928

so stockware.

btw found by mirroring and uploading to google picture search.

And it seems HP has some big use for it: http://hpchannel.co.za/2012/08/02/th...-for-everyone/ . Not that they have OWN slider phones

Last edited by gizmo21; 11/15/2012 at 03:31 PM.
gizmo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 03:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
At least Android will let you install Swype-like apps. Not iOS. My wife just retired her Pre minus that she owned since release day for an iPhone 5, and wow, she haaaaaaates that virtual keyboard big-time.
LOL, when we first switched to ATT we borrowed my moms old iPhone for a lil while to try it out in case the wife was unhappy with the size of the Veer. Played some games, hated the KB even the wife refused.

Sadly with the lack of phones with keyboard, the wife may go iOS next.... if not iOS I would guess Android since she is getting some use out of CM9. I have contemplated iOS for the keyboard cases, but GS3 with touchstone back is interesting, the new Lumias look interesting too and I love wireless charging (plus lots of friends from webOS in WP developing). Sad thing is giving up the keyboard AND possibly going to a micro-SIM device means I lose the easy switch back to webOS phones.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 06:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
What the heck is this?

Live Tweet Windows 8 Questions to @Windows and @HPSupport #w... - HP Support Forum

Going to try and link the image:
Click to view quoted image

Is this a current HP device? I didn't know of any portrait sliders out there other than... well you know
it could also be this one the Samsung t359

Old 11/15/2012, 06:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I have to say almost 2 years on Sprint Pre, a year+ on a Pre3 some Veer and Pre2 use, wife 2 years on Sprint Pre, year+ on Pre2, and some time on a Veer. Haven't had one keyboard physically break or be defective other than some double typed letters on my Pre3.
You are lucky. It is annoying. it takes for ever to correct errors and often no matter how hard you press a letter wouldn't register. very annoying.
Old 11/16/2012, 03:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

When my touchpad was new and probably far more responsive than it is after nearly a year since its last doctor,I was able to three or four finger type at incredible speeds on it for a touch screen. Oh,I'm doing that now. :-)

IPad keyboard is far more responsive and I've seen people just go at amazing rates on iphone vkbd. People gave grown up with that and are good at it, probably better than you or I will ever be

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 09:23 AM   #28 (permalink)

Touch typing is going to be a foreign concept... like using a typewriter is to people my age... aww

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Touch typing is going to be a foreign concept... like using a typewriter is to people my age... aww
LOL

gonna be tough on em when the get into the corporate setting and have to use a real keyboard and can't use text speak
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 11/16/2012, 05:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Judging by my typos above i'm only saved by autocorrect. I do wish that webOS autocorrect worked better, although I think for the most part, it's better than iOS, except for the non-optimal or really bad handling of accidental entries of numbers and symbols.

I think someone was playing with adjusting the key touch hysteresis, which is what someone was referring to regarding keys right next to each other not activating when hit rapidly .. but weren't really able to find a setting that worked better than what we have now, without having other problems.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 08:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

having used all 3 Pre's, I will say that the Pre3 keyboard is the best. The keys require a lighter touch, so you CAN type faster. And it IS an 1/8" bigger in both dimensions; i measured it because I thought they were the same size; but sure enough it is larger as well as having the bigger bottom lip area below the space bar. I LOVED typing on that phone compared to the little original Pre boards. Now back to a Pre2, i do feel a little cramped. but i type with the edge of my thumbnails, and can type one handed if necessary, and i dont have to watch the keyboard the whole time. i'll get used to the spacing again, and can feel across the keys and count the bumps to move letter to letter sometimes without looking. and i know the centering pip is on the 5/F key.

I recently tried typing a message out on a friend's GS II and i hated it. it makes a little vibrate for a virtual physical feel; but it completely eliminates my ability to glance at the board, then 'sense' where the keys are. you HAVE TO look at the keyboard while typing when you're just touching a piece of glass.

that said, my friend has learned this zig-zag SWIPE typing action, and she has become pretty fast at it. i tried it and was immediately angered by it. i couldn't figure out how to make a double of the same letter, like the T in the word 'letter'. all i could think was, get this slab of glass away from me.

i'm a textile person. no wait, then i'd be a ragdoll. i'm a TACTILE person. yeah. the way things feel are what appeals to me. LIKE OVAL SHAPED PHONES WITH REAL KEYBOARDS!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 08:53 PM   #32 (permalink)

I'm loving the keyboard moving from the Pre2 to Pre3... much much improved.

What made you switch back to your Pre2?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 02:50 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm loving the keyboard moving from the Pre2 to Pre3... much much improved.

What made you switch back to your Pre2?
it really was two things: 1) a matter of service coverage and expense because stepping up to the Pre3 meant severing my 13y.o Sprint plan (still w/o the add'l $10 smartphone fee) and switching to a GSM provider; as well as 2) accepting the very solitary feeling of the unsupported Pre3, which has a lot of threads here reporting phones with hardware issues. I've had a lot of Pre1s, and became paranoid about lack of replacements and support.

I couldn't find satisfactory H+ service where I lived without it causing serious power drain issues (battery was emptying from so much H+ to Edge flip-flopping); experienced annoying glitchiness when trying to stream Pandora to my BT headset; and became very paranoid about damaging the phone, since I'd previously dropped/cracked the glass on my FrankenPre2. So frantically I bought a bunch of batteries, then a 2nd Pre3 to be a spare -- then realized I was way over-committed cash-wise to a phone. I suddenly felt like I just mortgaged the house to buy an Edsel. (hopefully you are old enough to get that metaphor) It was then that I comparison-shopped service plans and realized I was getting the best value on my Sprint family plan anyway, and couldn't justify switching away from it. This mainly because i'm using about 3Gb of data per mo.

That meant staying with CDMA vs. GSM, so I took advantage of the Christmas buying frenzy and sold all the Pre3 hardware I'd collected up; recovered most of my investment and got a donor Pre2 and repaired my Franken, which is in the middle of OTA updating to 2.2.4 right now.

in the end it became an expensive experiment in GSM pre-paid. If i could justify switching to ATT, i would have kept the Pre3. But that would have been about a $35mo. increase. Or if STalk offered 3Gig data on their plan, and their svc. agreement wasn't worded so iron-fisted, like they will pull the plug on you for any reason at any time. I felt like a dog on a short leash and choke collar, vs. running free-off-the-chain with Sprint Unlimited.

If I could have gotten the Pre3 onto Sprint somehow, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN IDEAL but it could never be, so the FrankenPre2 is as close as i'll get to that dream.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 05:54 AM   #34 (permalink)

I'm with you. As much as I wanted to know what the pre3 was like there was no way I was leaving sprint. I mean when the pre2 first came out I went to the verizon store to look at it and found out it would cost me twice as much for the same service, I left wondering where verizon gets all these customers from and how come sprint is such an underdog. I get that they have better coverage overall but I am mostly concerned with where I live and Sprint is just fine here. Maybe one of the verizon users can chime in and let us know why like verizon and their prices.

Anyways, like you I love not paying that $10 smartphone tax, I know I can use as much data as I want without getting into trouble, and I still have sprint navigation. Speaking of navigation, to me sprint navigation is great, its pretty, simple and just works. Navit now is another story. I have tried but its just not reliable and I dont like how it looks. Probly some one should have made a skin for it, I still dont know what most of those features are to this day.

So I have a frankerpre, and another pre2 for backup and I gonna roll like that for the foreseeable future, I have other interest besides smartphones, like modding my mustang: Mustang Raxiom Modified Turn Signal Flasher (96-04 All; Excludes 99-01 Cobra) Review - YouTube
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0