webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Fun Things in Code
Fun Things in Code
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By GMMan
  • 3 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 2 Post By jm2011
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 2 Post By GMMan

Old 11/03/2012, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Let's make a thread where people can post funny strings and comments found in code used for webOS.

I finally dumped out my tokens, and needed some hints on how to parse some values. Here's what I found in /sbin/trenchcoat (program that reads and writes the flash memory, and is the main driver when flashing a webOS device):
Quote:
trenchcoat - used for flashing (storage, not body parts)
Need to run as root to modify filesystems. Use the sudo Luke.
Interesting to note there isn't sudo on webOS.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, mattmers and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: zzt53
Old 11/03/2012, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh nice

I've been following that thread about devices stuck in QHUSB-DLOAD, so any update, even a funny one is of great interest
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is palm territory. There be dragons.
Found in trenchcoat config files when referring to the NVRAM. No, there are no dragons there. The NVRAM is actually pretty straight forward and easy to parse.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by Grabber5.0, xandros9 and webOSnomad like this.
Old 11/04/2012, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have seen some good comments in the code I have looked at before.. Nothing recent.

semi on-topic: do you know if it is possible to dump the tokens via ssh on a device that has a bad screen or after swapping the board if necessary?
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/04/2012 at 07:09 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that there are some good ones in the first use app, but I can't really remember them now. One was something along the lines of Spin for 1/4 of a second to pretend that something is happening
Old 11/04/2012, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I have seen some good comments in the code I have looked at before.. Nothing recent.

semi on-topic: do you know if it is possible to dump the tokens via ssh on a device that has a bad screen or after swapping the board if necessary?
The easiest way to dump the NVRAM (which contains the tokens) is to SFTP in and transfer /dev/mmcblk0p12. It should be 4MB. Open it up with a hex editor and scroll around some, and you'll find the page with tokens. The other way, if you don't want to deal with binary, is to run
Code:
/sbin/tokens --list
and it'll give you the tokens in a key-pair list.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 11/08/2012, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I looked for the fist use app and I found it at /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse.firstUse.is

line 413: wt!? Come-on, code so this is readable.

line 972:give a 1/4 second for the spinner to show like we are actually doing something. ;-)
Liked by Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 11/08/2012, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2011 View Post
line 413: wt!? Come-on, code so this is readable.
Lol, I used that in my signature for a while before I ran out of space for links.
Old 12/30/2012, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Found today in the Facebook app on my Pre2:
Quote:
// We aren't quite ready to make the jump to a prototype free world, so load that while we are at it
// Yep I feel dirty but this is necessary to ensure sync load
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I chanced a peek at one of Isis' commits, and aside from deleting index.html, looks like HP's doing some comment cleanup to remove comments such as "wt*", "I don't know", "why", "this is a pita", "try this/that", and any references to Palm's internal bug tracking system. I suppose it's to make them seem more formal, but you can never erase the past with source control.

https://github.com/isis-project/isis...9bdf49f9a7b407
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/03/2013, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
// toooo soooooooon!
Some sort of timer in the Email app's DashboardManager. Not sure what it's really about.

Bonus: The Pre email notification sound has the album set to "Top 500 Rock and Roll Songs".
Liked by Garfonso and Remy X like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0