Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    With the latest news about developers dropping support for their webOS apps, I'm wondering just what is the size of the webOS user base.

Is there anyone who can make an educated estimate?
    there is no possible way, not anything accurate anyways.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    plus not all webOS users out there, frequent here.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    On my Samsung Slate 7 video it shows 2000+ views, with the top three countries being the US, Spain, and Germany, 98.1% male. So that's around 2000 people who care about Open webOS. I don't know how may of those are repeat views, because YouTube does not keep track of unique views, from what I can tell. I think the view counts is a good metric except for the fact it doesn't tell about repeat views, because the video has been spread evenly throughout multiple channels (mainly Twitter and news sites).
    kataran and fxspec06 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill2455 View Post
    With the latest news about developers dropping support for their webOS apps, I'm wondering just what is the size of the webOS user base.

Is there anyone who can make an educated estimate?
    I don't think it's likely. they didn't even announce sales when they were selling devices. There would be no way of knowing unless you got stats from carriers showing the Pres activated. I don't think they release that unless they want to. I think it's unlikely these days.

Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    On my Samsung Slate 7 video it shows 2000+ views, with the top three countries being the US, Spain, and Germany, 98.1% male. So that's around 2000 people who care about Open webOS. I don't know how may of those are repeat views, because YouTube does not keep track of unique views, from what I can tell. I think the view counts is a good metric except for the fact it doesn't tell about repeat views, because the video has been spread evenly throughout multiple channels (mainly Twitter and news sites).
    like you said that's views not people. And that doesn't remotely equate to users.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    even if i was the only one using it (apart from devs beefing it up and porting it ofc), i wouldnt care much tbh, as long as i get to use what i want to use, my touchpad and pre3 still do what i want now.

Even if the underlying tech/software is older than current (happens to everything tbh) it doesnt change the fact it still does now what it did back then (only now its improved, which is what i want.

i still have an ipad3 mostly unused and 2 android miniature ics tablets also rarely used, i mean great they DO have more apps, but when i look hard at the other 2, its just games that my friends/family use as an excuse for theirs being "great" and "must have", so if your not big into games you rarely play then its no big deal.

In my day to day activities of browsing/emailing/texting etc i dont see a hell of a lot of difference with all 3, they all do whats required, yeah some like the ipad "appear" more flashy however the ipad lacks more geeky stuff like an ubuntu/linux desktop or emulation, which is a colossal waste of its new screen estate.

Android, yeah a good medium, has the linux/emulation thing, however a lot of their apps break or dont function at all or not very well on anything but a select list of hardware devices, its a lottery if most do what they used to be able to do in the past when fewer devices were around.

webOS, i prefer the UI still, its easy and fast to operate, cards are totally brilliant, doesnt have the plethora of apps (still its mostly games here, lets be realistic) but thats not a show stopper for me as i can use preware or these forums to patch the hell out of my devices to have them function exactly as i want them too with ease.

Personally i'll remain a user as long as webOS keeps its powerful and simple cards/multitasking/UI etc, the apps thing is just a slight benefit for me. We have through the app catalogue or via homebrew the main essentials and some power tools that will keep me hooked for ages.
    steffej3, renater and kataran like this.
    Today I see Derek singing the praises of the galaxy and calling the pre3 long in the tooth.

So at work there's 5 galaxy phones and 3 have cracked screens from being dropped once. They are so ackward to hold its hard not to drop them.

I fail to see what's so great about them that have everybody swooning all over the place. To me they are cheap pieces of crap with a big screen and 4G radios. I would take the 4g and that's it.

So I choose to stick with my slower (yet more efficient) webos phone since I don't watch videos all the time or do extensive web browsing, but for the things I do the most it can't be beat
    Last edited by laingman; 10/20/2012 at 06:34 AM.
    kataran and fxspec06 like this.
    As for the census, is it reasonable assume that the majority of webOS users left are diehards and are likely to have preware? Maybe internalz could give us an estimate
    even if its an oldish android device its a new webOS one, so bound to be some excitement at "new" toys, to be expected tbh, still they are far from bad things, its more news of webOS to the masses that otherwise may not have heard of it or believed it could spread beyond the deadend that is the touchpad and pre3.
    I met this girl on a motorcycle run two weeks ago....she was sitting at the table next to me and I saw her slide up to type and couldn't tell what kind of phone she was using cause the back was missing until she moved her hand and I saw the battery held on by some tape....I was shocked it was a pre!!

I had a long talk with her and found out she was on Verizon and on a pre+....her phone was on its last leg but she didn't want to loss her hotspot so she has kept using it since launch day....she loves webOS even thou she had no idea webOS Nation exists ....she seemed to thing that getting a new phone would void her hotspot but I told her that she could buy a pre2 out right and just change her phone online instead of an upgrade and she should be fine....

I showed her my pre2 and she lost her mind....after demoing some homebrew apps and such I told her to join our site and get more info that's about all her boyfriend could take so I left it at that.....hope she's doing OK as I didn't want to ask her for any personal info

lots of pre users un aware of the jewel we have here....
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Actually if I were to call my phone long in the tooth I would be thinking software instead of hardware. Not only are we not getting any updates, browser for example, but going backwards some with developers dipping every day it seems
    Last edited by laingman; 10/20/2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    ...she seemed to thing that getting a new phone would void her hotspot but I told her that she could buy a pre2 out right and just change her phone online instead of an upgrade and she should be fine....
    I hope you didn't steer her wrong. My understanding of that situation is that the free hotspot feature is tied specifically to the Pre+ phone by ESN. Mobile Hot Spot for a Pre2 is a different feature, and isn't free no matter what you do. Or to put it another way, you're no more likely to get free mhs for a pre2 than you are for an iphone or android device no matter what steps you take to activate it.... a Pre2 simply isn't the same thing as a Pre+ to Verizon's system.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    well, I got a Palm Pixi (personal phone with Sprint), HP Veer (work phone with AT&T) and my HP Touchpad (wifi - only). So in my case is one person, three devices used on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Actually if I were to call my phone long in the tooth I would be thinking software instead of hardware. Not only are we not getting any updates, browser for example, but going backwards some with develop dipping every day it seems
    laingman: You are so right about the webOS stock browser (on our Pres and our Touchpads)...for those of us holding on (out?!)...what I think many would like more than anything is an updated browser that rendered mid-late 2012-era webpages accurately.
    hankbuddy likes this.
    I met this girl on a motorcycle run two weeks ago....she was sitting at the table next to me and I saw her slide up to type and couldn't tell what kind of phone she was using cause the back was missing until she moved her hand and I saw the battery held on by some tape....I was shocked it was a pre!!

I had a long talk with her and found out she was on Verizon and on a pre+....her phone was on its last leg but she didn't want to loss her hotspot so she has kept using it since launch day....she loves webOS even thou she had no idea webOS Nation exists ....she seemed to thing that getting a new phone would void her hotspot but I told her that she could buy a pre2 out right and just change her phone online instead of an upgrade and she should be fine....

I showed her my pre2 and she lost her mind....after demoing some homebrew apps and such I told her to join our site and get more info that's about all her boyfriend could take so I left it at that.....hope she's doing OK as I didn't want to ask her for any personal info

lots of pre users un aware of the jewel we have here....
    And that sums up the fondest fantasy of 90% of the members of WebOS Nation.
    dignitary likes this.
    i don't have numbers but i know the number of active members on this place has really dropped off in the past year. shame but to be expected as alot of people moved on to other platforms.
    Quote Modified...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I hope you didn't steer her wrong. My understanding of that situation is that the free hotspot feature is tied specifically to the Pre+ phone by ESN. Mobile Hot Spot for a Pre2 is a different feature, and isn't free no matter what you do. Or to put it another way, you're no more likely to get free mhs for a pre2 than you are for an iphone or android device no matter what steps you take to activate it.... a Pre2 simply isn't the same thing as a Pre+ to Verizon's system.
    I am in the same boat love my PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4, and a mashed Pre2/PrePlus Kernel), although, I have heard someone had taken a GSM Pre2 (with webOS 2.2.4), swapped the Verizon PrePlus Comm board, and as the Phone was a GSM Pre2 it was seen by HP/Palm as a GSM Pre2 on Verizon, but on Verizon the ESN/MEID was a PrePlus so Verizon still saw it as a PrePlus... So as Verizon saw it as a PrePlus they kept their Mobile Hotspot... FYI This is the same comm board swap process for Sprint/AT&T/Bell etc...

As the PrePlus does what I need I do not have the need, but when it dies I will upgrade to my Pre3.
    Remy X and kataran like this.

This wins for creepiest webOS Nation post...ever.
    This wins for creepiest webOS Nation post...[I]ever.
    You don't get out much, do you?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    xandros9 and kataran like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I think the actual number is a bit higher than this. I can say with absolute certainty that the number is FAR less than I expected, though. Judging based on the release of 3-5 apps over the summer and into October, I'd put the actual figure of touchpad users somewhere to be between 6,000 to 10,000. Cribbage Board was released free enyo 2 app on July 5th and has just over 3600 downloads. It's nowhere near a must have, but it's a decent measure. On the paid front, the numbers get far worse. I'm not going to share sales data, but I'll say that the ratio from paid apps this year to paid apps last year in sales for myself is about 50 to 1 (it's actually even worse than that, but I DID put out more volume last year. which is why it's a rough guessstimate).

So for a free non-must-have app, it's got 3600 downloads since July. Let's say 30% of active users downloaded Cribbage Board -- if 15% are non-unique, that puts the unique download mark at roughly 3,000. I doubt every active user downloaded it, but I also doubt there's a buttload of people out there downloading apps.

In other news, Wild'n Video Poker free, released in July '11, hit ~38k about 6 months ago. Then, it slowly passed 40k and is currently sitting around 41-42k. Therefore, I think the 3,000 number is good min number, and the ceiling is somewhere around 10k.

2c
    Last edited by fxspec06; 10/20/2012 at 11:43 PM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast