Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By daexpression
  1.    #1  
    LINE

this is an interesting app. Seems to be offering messaging, free calls and even interesting interactions via mobile and PC...
    too bad no webos version.
    Line has become the mainstream mobile chat app in Taiwan. Is there any way I can use it on my Pre3? Or I'm afraid I have to switch to Android phones because I need Line at work.
    The problem is that these apps pop up everywhere and are often only popular in certain countries. Having this on webOS would be great of course but someone would have to develop it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Greater issue is that those services is that the protocol is secret and has to be reverse engineered. That is exhaustive and prone to failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The problem is that these apps pop up everywhere and are often only popular in certain countries. Having this on webOS would be great of course but someone would have to develop it.
    I had never heard of this app myself until someone mentioned it to me. I hope all this whatsapp alternatives won't become too popular because whatsapp is the only thing working on OS, fingers crossed FB won't force us to look for alternatives and keep it (almost) free and fun to play with for a long time.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Hm.. the good thing about some of these alternatives (Telegram) is that the protocol is open and easy to implement... that is the issue with whatsapp: They don't want us, they have a closed protocol, you need to reverse engeneer the protocol and they can silently change the protocol and make your app fail again and you'll have to start over.

If some app with an open protocol would gain a lot of traction maintaining a webOS client for that would be much easier... that's why I recommend telegram to all my friends, right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post

If some app with an open protocol would gain a lot of traction maintaining a webOS client for that would be much easier... that's why I recommend telegram to all my friends, right now.
    Your non-OS friends
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.