1.    #1  
    Here's something I'm thinking about. One of the most annoying and time consuming thing about Doctoring a webOS device is it removes all the apps, which makes the user have to download everything all over again, and perhaps restore configurations (or worst of all, have to get progress back in games). What if we don't let that happen? That is, we "hide" the .palm folder on /media/internal and put it back after Doctoring is done? I took a crack at the cryptofs mounter, and it seems the key is unique for each device but never changes. It's calculated by taking the NDUID and salting it to the effect of "(C)Palm", and then either encrypting it or hashing it (I can't remember which). Because the NDUID remains the same on a device, the decryption key will always be valid. So one installation's .palm folder will work across the next (Doctoring, not device). So before running Doctor, boot into the installer ramdisk, mount media-store and rename .palm into something else. Then Doctor, and before the device can reboot for the first time, go back into the ramdisk and rename the folder back. If the initial setup doesn't try to recreate the .palm folder if it already exists, by the time the device is set up all apps will be there, and only WebOS Internals apps and patches have to be reapplied. The reconfiguration will be minimal.

While I'd like to test this, I'm against Doctoring. So if someone is going to Doctor soon, try this out. You have nothing to lose (because regularly you would have lost it already).

I think there's a good reason for removing all apps on Doctoring. It'll make sure the system is in original condition, in case an app screws things up. But I doubt that is usually the case, so save some time and frustration and try to save the apps.
    There is a flag file (not sure what it is), but during doctor build it looks for a TAR file if the TAR file is present it untars Applications to .palm during doctor process... If someone is crafty has java eclipse and can de-compile the doctor jar file class tables they can tell us the flag file used... My thought just like logs it backs up the logs before a doctor process, that it would backup the application files into a tar, back them up on the host running the doctor, then re-applying after the doctor process and removing the tar when the doctor process is done?