Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtiberio
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Anybody else notice an update available for WebOS 1.4.5?
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I installed it, but it didn't seem to change anything...
    1.4.5 is available for more than a year now (probably even 2).
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I know, that's what creeped me out about it. Anybody else get this update?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    According to Wikipedia,

On May 9th, 2011 HP issued the update webOS 1.4.5.1, it was (quoting Wikipedia) "Some bug fixes but has no new features." And is current for Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi, and Pixi Plus.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Yes, yes, yes. I'm telling you my phone updated yesterday, even though that update was so long ago. FBI maybe? Low hanging fruit? Enquiring minds want to know!
    it is well documented. for some reason, phones that are at 1.4.5.1 will get a notice that an update is available, and be updated to 1.4.5.1

It may have something to do with a checksum and/or the whole bing/google maps snafu...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartca View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. I'm telling you my phone updated yesterday, even though that update was so long ago. FBI maybe? Low hanging fruit? Enquiring minds want to know!
    This has been a long time bug, never happened to our devices that I can remember, but have heard of many people getting update notifications to update to a version they are already at.

Allowing it to "update" shouldn't harm the device in any way that I remember hearing of.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    it is well documented. for some reason, phones that are at 1.4.5.1 will get a notice that an update is available, and be updated to 1.4.5.1

It may have something to do with a checksum and/or the whole bing/google maps snafu...
    'swat I remember hearing as well...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I know this is a well-known bug, but in all my searching I can't find definitively if it causes a problem to let it run. I mostly have patches from Preware's feeds, but I may also have some installed via Internalz, so I'd rather it not hose something. This is the first time it has ever happened to one of my phones, so I never read any of the threads that closely the first time (or three) around.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/29/2012 at 10:44 PM.
    I've got the 1.4.5.1 update and none of my 40+ patches have been affected.
    What is does break in BING MAP. As soon as the phone is re-booted, Bing get removed and Google comes back but it won't run, ( blank screen ). You can reinstall Bing, but a power-cycle, again will break it.
    There are posts of how people have resolved the Bing / Google loop, by removing the map directory. Removing the directory didn't always work for me, and I found a method , a little more involved that work every time.

After bing is installed and working , I copy 2 directory's from the pre:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps-rebooter

After reboot when Bing breaks, I remove the 2 directories from the PRE.
    I replace those directories with the ones previously copied.

It's easy to copy and replace directories using FileZilla, but I think it could be done with Internalz Pro in Master Mode.
    If you use the command line to uninstall the HP maps app (google version), you will stop getting those update notices. At least that's what worked for me. There's a thread about it somewhere. I think it was something like: ipkg remove or ipkg uninstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I know this is a well-known bug, but in all my searching I can't find definitively if it causes a problem to let it run. I mostly have patches from Preware's feeds, but I may also have some installed via Internalz, so I'd rather it not hose something. This is the first time it has ever happened to one of my phones, so I never read any of the threads that closely the first time (or three) around.
    most of the posts I remember reading were very uneventful.... but can't promise since it has yet to happen to any of our devices that I can recall.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...