webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Changing file associations
Changing file associations
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MartinH@webos

Old 09/05/2012, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

When I open a picture attachment (.jpg) in my email on my Touchpad, it opens in Internalz Pro. When I open the same picture attachment on my Pre3, it opens in QuickOffice, and then gives me an error because QuickOffice doesn't handle pictures. Not too useful.

I found Device Info, Preferences, Default Applications, but there is no setting for .jpg images there.

I found the Preferences setting in Internalz which allows you to set "Register as file handler" for Image Viewer, but changing the setting either way doesn't alter how the file opens -- it's always as above. (I do have Internalz Pro on the Pre3, and tried the setting, but .jpg files still try to open in QuickOffice.)

I found MetaView's RegisterApp L\'Haut-Parleur » An app to register another app for a certain file type… and Metaview's Register App but the documentation is kind of thin and I don't know that it is current.

Is there a good way to fix file associations that I am missing? I will edit system files if necessary, just don't know what to edit.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

When I open e-mailed jpgs on my phone it opens in the e-mail app.... no clue what yours is doing
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

My association is also on Internalz Pro. I suppose the Photos & Videos app doesn't support direct opening, so the only handler is Internalz, which does a bad job of displaying images for whatever reason. The Email app handles image attachments natively without needing to launch an app, and that's why it works.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm curious as to why it is launching quick office
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 09/10/2012, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

I can certainly live with Internalz (though the picture viewer kind of makes sense as well), but the link to QuickOffice is both puzzling and deeply annoying!
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Go to device info then drop down and choose default applications

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 10/05/2012, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

On my Pre3 only the first four are selectable and jpg isn't even listed.
Old 12/26/2012, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Is there a good way to fix file associations that I am missing? I will edit system files if necessary, just don't know what to edit.
Strange - that here on webosnation there is so little talk about the issues with file associations.
E.g. on my Pre3 I lost almost all "file associations" - which I think results in the issue that links/attachments in emails that I read on my Pre3 can not be opened when reading such email. I can see links in my emails but I can not hit the link to follow the URL. (This used to work in the past - and I still don't know what broke this function.)

I know that the app "Device Info" has a menu option "default applications" to inspect some file associations. But this has limited editing. (e.g. on my Pre3 I even lost associations for all four data types phone number, address, Email-address, Weblink and there is nothing to select for me. Similar the other data types (file extentions just display one option without anything to select.)

On a German forum I found this helpful information:
[gelöst] weblinks starten den Browser auf Pre3 nicht mehr (Standardanwendungen teilweise nicht zuweisbar) - Software - Nexave Palmforum
In there MetaView explains that the file associations are managed in the file: /var/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers-active.json

But else I did not find anymore helpful information or tools to rescan/repair/reset or enhance the file associations.

So this question still remains open:
=> Is there a good way to fix file associations that I am missing?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: limnion
Old 12/26/2012, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
In there MetaView explains that the file associations are managed in the file: /var/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers-active.json

But else I did not find anymore helpful information or tools to rescan/repair/reset or enhance the file associations.

On my Pre3 I now did these changes:
1. Using Internalz Pro I renamed the file /var/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers-active.json to ... -original.json
2. Automatically within a few seconds a new default file /var/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers-active.json was created (very similar to my broken file) - I did not try that default configuration.
3. I moved the default file away and instead copied a known good json file from a Pre2 2.2.4 device to this location on the Pre3.

=> The step (3) did fix all my file association issues on my Pre3.
Links in emails do work again. Youtube "app" works again and youtube videos are played in the video player again.

=> still - I have no idea what/who corrupted the above json file on my Pre3 at what time.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/29/2012, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
On a German forum I found this helpful information:
[gelöst] weblinks starten den Browser auf Pre3 nicht mehr (Standardanwendungen teilweise nicht zuweisbar) - Software - Nexave Palmforum

So, following your lead, I copied the command-resource-handlers-active.json file to /media/internal on my Touchpad and loaded it up on a text editor on my Ubuntu laptop. All of the file associations are in one long unbroken string of bracketed definitions and associations. From what I can tell, each association is broken into two parts:
1) a filetype definition, which I put right after the definition for the sdb filetype to keep things alphabetical. In my case this was:
Code:
{ "swf": "application\/swf" }
"
The bit that looks like a V is really a backslash and forward-slash in succession.
2) the association of that filetype with an application, which for me was:

{ "mimeType": "application\/swf", "handlers": { "primary": { "mime": "application\/swf", "extension": "swf", "appId": "com.palm.app.browser", "streamable": true, "index": 123, "tag": "system-default" } } }

I wasn't sure what some of the metadata was for, so I more or less copied the entry for sdb and modified the relevant parts. 123 was just arbitrary until I work out how index values are assigned. I'm sure it's in the docs somewhere, I'm just feeling lazy today.

Then I just saved my changes and copied the modified version over the original. (After making a backup, of course!) Now SWF files open up in the browser from Internalz. Easy peasy.

Thanks for pointing out this file! It made modifying filetype handlers a snap.

Last edited by limnion; 12/29/2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: noticed that putting the second part of the edit in a code block truncated the line
limnion is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0