1.    #1  
    This has been something that has bugged me for a while now on my Touchpad and Pre 3 but I never get around to fixing it. I've searched in the forums and could not come up with an answer to my problem, which goes like this:

I have several gigs of MP3's on both devices, mostly albums that I have ripped from CD's over the years, then moved from the desktop, to the laptop, and now to the mobile devices. Since this happened over several years, I can't even remember what software I used to rip them, but I think that it was mostly different versions of Roxio.

The problem I've noticed in both the stock music player and in Music (Remix) is that some of my albums show up as a big long list of individual songs rather than a complete, making it both very annoying to scroll through but, more importantly, impossible to play the entire album; I can only selelct and play one song at a time!

When I connect my phone up to my computer and look at the files in the "audio" folder, all of the albums look the same; song files inside folders which have the album name. But when I open up the music app on the device, its a mess.

Could this have something to do with when I ripped the songs (and what app I used to do so) and how they got encoded or tagged? When I look at the file properties for each song (again on my computer), there is nothing different between the ones that work properly (stay grouped in an album) and the ones that don't

Any assistance on this would be appreciated, or a redirect to any thread that has a solution.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

Problem solved! As suggested below, the trick to making compilation albums hang together is to use your favorite tagging program on you PC and make sure that the "Album Artist" field is filled in. I chose "Various Artists" for that field, then removed the albums from my Touchpad and Pre 3, did a device restart, reloaded the updated albums and they now display properly! Yay!!!

Thanks to all who helped on this!
    Last edited by eTreo; 08/26/2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
    The media indexer is really picky. It doesn't care where your music is, and uses tags only to sort files. And everything has to be an exact match for files to be grouped together. Your best bet is to batch retag all your music, so albums are grouped together the way they should be. If there are multiple artists for an album, list only the primary artist.
    It's all in the tagging. I have a few albums I need to fix. I need to double-check, but I think they are grouped by album artist, or maybe the problem is that album-artist is ignored.. I can't remember.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    The media indexer is really picky. It doesn't care where your music is, and uses tags only to sort files. And everything has to be an exact match for files to be grouped together. Your best bet is to batch retag all your music, so albums are grouped together the way they should be. If there are multiple artists for an album, list only the primary artist.
    Thanks for your response. I was afraid that it was going to be a tagging issue, because I no nothing about how to do that. Is their a webOS app that would allow me to make the changes on the device, or will I have to dump what I have, fix them on my laptop and reload? Or would I just be better off re-ripping them? I'd appreciate any easy to use program recommendations for any of these approaches.

Thanks again in advance!
  5.    #5  
    Wait a tic! I just re-read your comment and had an epiphany!! The albums where I am having this problem are ALL compilation albums with multiple artists. So the indexer sees the different artists and slices the album up into multiple single song albums.

Is it even possible to fix this?
    could you just create playlists for each compilation album? Its a little kludgy...but it might be one way to get what you eventually want.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    could you just create playlists for each compilation album? Its a little kludgy...but it might be one way to get what you eventually want.
    That approach crossed my mind, but I had the same thought; kludgy! Ugh!! But that may be the only way I can fix this.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    could you not tag the album artist as something else? for example if it was a punk-o-rama compilation, have the artist tag as the actual artist and the album artist listed as punk-o-rama?

Would that even work?? if so, it means you could avoid creating playlists for each album
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    could you not tag the album artist as something else? for example if it was a punk-o-rama compilation, have the artist tag as the actual artist and the album artist listed as punk-o-rama?

Would that even work?? if so, it means you could avoid creating playlists for each album
    I can't remember if it honors album artist or not.. I was going to suggest it (I forget, maybe I did arleady) but I couldn't remember if it works. I've got some compilations I'm going to test out when I get a few minutes.
    Here is a prime example of the indexer at work. I usually pull my music off of video games, so I have to tag them manually. After all that trouble getting the right artists on there, this is what you get.

I recommend Mp3tag for tagging. If you've got your music organized into folders, just drag the necessarily files into the tagger, select all, and apply the same artist to all of them. When naming artists it's best if you make them somewhat unique, so when you use the artists view your albums won't all clump together into a single "Various Artists" group.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It appears to ignore the album-artist tag. I just re-ripped 'Legendary Harley-Davidson Road Songs' and it shows as 19 albums of the same name by different artists. (Well, 18, because 2 are by 'unknown artist') Ugh. Oh well, I am not going to incorrectly tag my music just to get webOS to play nice with it. I have created album playlists before, so it's no biggie. That indexer flat needs to be fixed.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/24/2012 at 11:19 AM.
    I take that back -- it does honor album artist. My ripper just borked the tags and copied the song artist into the album artist tag instead of putting the album artist there. I have another compilation which does correctly display on my Touchpad (haven't checked it on my Pre yet) I just used Windows Media Player (of all things!) to fix the tags, and the first time I copied them back over to my Touchpad, it didn't pick up the changes, so then I deleted the entire folder, let it re-index, then copied it back, and it indexed them properly, so now they all show up under the one album under 'various' like they are supposed to. When each song is playing, it shows the correct artist for that song, as well as in the track list for the album (well, in Remix it does... the stock music player does not show artist info in the album display).
  13.    #13  
    Problem solved! See update in original post. Thanks to all who contributed towards putting the solution together!!

You folks are the greatest!!!