Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Jury deliberations have started and I can hear the sucking sound as so many are holding their breaths for the verdict. If only HP had chosen a visionary leader over a year ago instead of Leo Whatshisname they would be in an enviable market position. It could still be a positive outcome for both webOS and RIM/Blackberry. With a plethora of patents from the dark ages combined with some legal courage and marketable hardware... Oops, what hardware? How long would it take to resurrect the Pre3 and Touchpad with minor updates? If HP had a visionary leader now they would have already been working on doing that for several months in secrecy and be nearly ready to start the production line. HP, along with perhaps other partners, would be almost ready to market Open webOS products. We shall soon see...
  2. #2  
    the only thing which seems rubbish imho is as samsung say, apple is trying to enforce a patent on a rectangular rounded edge shape and saying they invented it and no1 else can use it.

    at least samsung has beef with something more than just a shape.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3. #3  
    What happens? Everything starts looking like the Lumia 900 and Sony whatchamacallit
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the only thing which seems rubbish imho is as samsung say, apple is trying to enforce a patent on a rectangular rounded edge shape and saying they invented it and no1 else can use it.

    at least samsung has beef with something more than just a shape.
    GeekPete; I don't believe the rectangle thing is the whole basis of Apple's suit, but it is pretty comical. Who but Steve Jobs would be so arrogant as to claim ownership of the rectangle? Perhaps he was planning to release a new iPod in a circular shape. Then he would lay claim to the wheel.
    Anyway, I like to see the glass as half full. There has to be at least one optimist in the group.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pro2 View Post
    GeekPete; I don't believe the rectangle thing is the whole basis of Apple's suit, but it is pretty comical. Who but Steve Jobs would be so arrogant as to claim ownership of the rectangle? Perhaps he was planning to release a new iPod in a circular shape. Then he would lay claim to the wheel.
    Anyway, I like to see the glass as half full. There has to be at least one optimist in the group.
    aye not the whole basis of their argument, it just struck me as funny when i read it, next we wont be able to buy apples from a supermarket because apple will have their shape patented
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    sledge007 likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the only thing which seems rubbish imho is as samsung say, apple is trying to enforce a patent on a rectangular rounded edge shape and saying they invented it and no1 else can use it.

    at least samsung has beef with something more than just a shape.
    Actually I went over them and it wasn't shape it was actually software. like the app and the bounce back stuff.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Actually I went over them and it wasn't shape it was actually software. like the app and the bounce back stuff.
    i made most of my comments based of what little ive seen on the news like...

    BBC News - Apple Samsung patent trial: jury begins deliberations

    a part farther down stating bits like.

    For his part, Samsung's lawyer Charles Verhoeven told the jury a verdict in favour of Apple meant competition would be stifled in the industry.

    "Rather than competing in the marketplace, Apple is seeking a competitive edge in the courtroom," Verhoeven said in his closing statement.

    "(Apple thinks) it's entitled to having a monopoly on a rounded rectangle with a large screen. It's amazing really."
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    aye not the whole basis of their argument, it just struck me as funny when i read it, next we wont be able to buy apples from a supermarket because apple will have their shape patented
    No ....we will be able to buy apples....except they will be called Apple®s and we will have to pay $5 each for them. (but they will be of the highest quality, so the price shouldn't matter!)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    geekpeter likes this.
  9. #9  
    The verdict is starting to come in...

    Apple v. Samsung jury rules Samsung infringed on Apple's patents, 'knew or should have known' it was doing it -- Engadget

    The jury has also ruled that Apple did not infringe upon Samsung's patents with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, and has awarded it zero dollars in damages.
    Jury Finds in Favor of Apple in Apple vs. Samsung Trial - Mac Rumors

    Regarding damages, the jury finds that Apple should be awarded $1,051,855,000 in damages for willfully violating Apple's patents and trade dress.
    Last edited by nusome4; 08/24/2012 at 07:22 PM.
  10. #10  
    $$ speaks volumes.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11. #11  
    It will be years before theis will finally settle. Next is the repeal of the verdict.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  12. gihmley's Avatar
    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #12  
    Now... if HP was smart? They'd announce that they're polishing up the Pre 3 and releasing it around the globe. Give folks something else -- and marvelously DIFFERENT -- to consider.

    But, we know they're about as sly and resourceful and wet spaghetti, so not holding out any hopes... but it's just fun to dream.
    -= Gihmley =-

    Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
  13. #13  
    "However, the jury found that several Samsung products illegally used such Apple creations as the "bounce-back" feature when a user scrolls to an end image, and the ability to zoom text with a finger tap."

    doesn't every android phone do these? I know my wifes htc does and the pre did as well.
  14. #14  
    well, I've seen some stop (not have the bounce-back effect) but have this border glowing effect (can't really describe) when you overscroll. It doesn't look bad either.
  15. #15  
    But know Samsung is stealing our lunch money by using what is basically Touch to Share and they took our PrPrPr&#$275$; $design$ $too$.
  16. #16  
    So, pinch-zoom, double-tap-to-zoom, and bounceback are owned by Apple? hmm. well, i guess that makes every device infringing then.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    So, pinch-zoom, double-tap-to-zoom, and bounceback are owned by Apple? hmm. well, i guess that makes every device infringing then.
    not the double tap only pinch to zoom and bounce back effect.
  18. #18  
    does that mean that using the pinch to zoom out and flick to zoom in with webos also infringes? or did palm license that from apple?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbopple View Post
    does that mean that using the pinch to zoom out and flick to zoom in with webos also infringes? or did palm license that from apple?
    Palm went ahead (even building iTunes syncing into early webOS versions) with whatever since they hold the patent for the smartphone and boatloads others, so it could hurt apple to sue palm. (Palm lacked money too, making them an even less desirable target)

    Palm was also kinda in trouble (financially)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  20. #20  
    WebOS that is now open source has patent claims?

    What "smartphone" pantent does HP own?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions